FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Whirrtere

Redesigning My Keybinds

Hey, so I'm wanting to redesign my current keybinding set up for my Subtlety Rogue based upon the idea of organizing them by frequency used. My current set up is pretty clumsy and all over the place, so hopefully redesigning it with what I have in mind will help make me a little more efficient. 

So, let's say, for instance, Stealth. Stealth is obviously pretty important, so based upon frequency used, it would be given a higher priority key like MiddleMouseButton. A spell I don't use often would be Shroud of Concealment, so I would give it a lesser priority key like Shift5.

Here's what I've developed so far. It might be worth noting I chose the keys below with the intent to use them for both my Razor Naga and Razor BlackWidow Keyboard (silly choices, I know, but I make do with what I've got, even if that includes seizures induced by green backlit keys).

High priority keys= MiddleMouseButton, MouseButton 5 and 4, 1-12

Low priority keys= Shift MouseButton 5 and 4, Shift 1-12, Ctrl MouseButton 5 and 4, Ctrl 1-12, Alt 1-12

You might notice a lack of letter keys above. That's because I want to avoid using them for combat and instead use them for the interface, like opening up the character pane or the map. It's happened way too frequently to me that I'll accidentally hit B (Open All Bags) instead of hitting V (Symbols of Death). I want to avoid that, so I'm going to separate combat and interface keys.

A lack of mouse scrolling buttons is also apparent. That's because I'm a pretty controlling individual and like to adjust my scroll distances. If you guys know of a way to set my view distance to a permanent max third person viewing distance, please let me know.

What do you guys think of this? I tried explaining it to a friend of mine earlier, but I got the feeling he thought it was pretty convoluted. Do you guys employ a similar scheme when it comes to keybinding? What about a friend? I'd really like to compare the finished product with someone's similarly done keybinding set up.

Have any idea where I could find a log of spells listed by frequency used by a subtlety rogue (or any class and spec, for that matter)? My current approach to divide my spells used by frequency is by frequency used in my rotation. I'm pretty much just eyeing it, so hard data would be welcome.

Anyhow, thanks for reading.

Edited by Whirrtere
Word choice, grammar

On 7/9/2017 at 3:30 PM, Whirrtere said:

You might notice a lack of letter keys above. That's because I want to avoid using them for combat and instead use them for the interface, like opening up the character pane or the map. It's happened way too frequently to me that I'll accidentally hit B (Open All Bags) instead of hitting V (Symbols of Death). I want to avoid that, so I'm going to separate combat and interface keys.

This can be solved by either rebinding B for bags to I for Inventory, if you prefer. That or just making an important spell like SoD on a different bind.

On 7/9/2017 at 3:30 PM, Whirrtere said:

High priority keys= MiddleMouseButton, MouseButton 5 and 4, 1-12

Low priority keys= Shift MouseButton 5 and 4, Shift 1-12, Ctrl MouseButton 5 and 4, Ctrl 1-12, Alt 1-12

Keybinds are a very personal thing, and whatever is comfortable for you to use is important. 

That said, I find playing with a lot of the further numbers very difficult, since my fingers don't reach past 5 very easily.

My binds are below if you want a sample, but I really want to emphasize that whatever works for you should be what you use. 

1-5 for buttons that I press all the time, that don't have cooldowns etc. 1 is usually my filler, so for Sub Rogue that means Backstab. 2 and 3 are Shadowstrike and Evis, 4 is Shuriken Storm, and 5 is the Leggo trinket (if I'm using it). 

Shift 1-5 are similar; buttons that I use frequently but not every few seconds. Examples are Goremaw's Bite, Nightblade, Symbols of Death, DfA.

Alt 1-5 are reserved for long and impactful cooldowns, such as Shadow Dance, Shadow Blades, Potions, etc

I use letter binds for mine, since they're easily within reach (and all the UI binds are on the far side of my keyboard. I use, T, A, D, F, G, V, C, X (as well as Shift and Alt version of each). They're done in the same way that the DPS buttons are - buttons closer to QWE, where I have my fingers all the time, are the more important spells. R and F are usually my 'oh shit' buttons - Cloak, Evasion, Feint, and Vanish. D is always my interrupt, which for Rogues is Kick. T is Crowd Control, C is for movement, V is for healing, etc. 

You really don't press Stealth very often, so I have it on Alt+Shift+1. Druid forms follow the same pattern.

Some other keybinds which I use that you mind find interesting or useful:

Shift+Enter is Reply (for whispers etc), I for Inventory (in case I fat finger something), Alt+W for mount, and Ctrl+W for Auto Run.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

I like to read this and see how complicated people are ,included me!

i use, A S D W (movement) . Q stunts , E and R finisher , T distract jaja 

F main filler (shadowstrike/backstab macro and mutilate) , C kick ! , 

1-5 = simbols , vendetta, That dagger you throw and fan of knives , TAB vanish , V cloack  plus SHIFt + everything.

Steah = shift + wheel up , racial = shift + wheel down. Middlemouse = shadowdance or toxic blades 

and I have 6 buttons extra on the mouse plus shift +.

@_@

• Like 1