Starym

Chronicle Vol.3 Announced, Features WC3 Events

Sign in to follow this  

11 posts in this topic

W448UZC.jpg

It seems we'll have to wait quite a bit more for the third edition of Blizzard's big Warcraft lore book series, as Vol.3 is scheduled to be released on March 27th, 2018. You can already pre-order the book over at Amazon, and IGN have managed to extract some extra info about the book itself: apparently it will feature the events "that shaped the modern history of Azeroth and delves into the backstories of Arthas Menethil, Illidan Stormrage, Jaina Proudmoore, and other iconic World of Warcraft characters". Although it's unclear where the quote is actually from, presumably it's from the book itself, while the Amazon page only had this to say:

Blizzard Entertainment and Dark Horse Books are proud to present the third installment of their bestselling World of Warcraft Chronicle series!

Like its predecessors, Volume III features beautiful full-color artwork by Peter Lee, Emily Chen, Stanton Feng, and other fan-favorite artists, as well as intricately detailed maps and spot art by Joseph Lacroix. Bolster your knowledge of Warcraft lore with this striking third volume!

IGN went on to say that the book will be written by Chris Metzen, Matt Burns, and Robert Brooks.

And finally, here's the cover of the book itself, featuring Tyrande Whisperwind, who may seem like a bit of an odd choice for the cover, but maybe we'll find out more about Elune through her in the book, and Elune is shaping up to possibly be one of the major players in WoW's future storylines.

MkzHcNC.jpg

So, events that shaped the modern history or Azeroth, sounds very much like we're delving into the events of Warcraft 3 and The Frozen throne considering the cast of characters mentioned, which can only be a good thing! Hopefully we won't see any new canon or retconning to the pretty great storyline of Reign of Chaos and its expansion

• Like 1

I personally don't think Tyrande Whisperwind is an odd choice.

The discovery of the Night Elves in WC3 was a truly important one, and who better to depict than the leader of the race in that regard?

The Sundering was caused by her predecessor and a lot of the lore about the Burning Legion became apparent in WC3.

Medivh would arguably be better for the cover, because he knew what was going on, was corrupted himself and brought change to Azeroth that made it able to survive for this long. If it wasn't for Medivh, pretty much any other lore wouldn't have existed.

I'm a bit rusty, so unless it was retconned, Medivh opened the dark portal in the first place to make sure Azeroth faced a great threat - to make sure the Human race would make an army to stand up to the first orc invasion and centralize its empire, to work together to beat the first great orc threat. So that they were ready for the much harder hardships to come later.

I assume that still holds true after all these years?

2 hours ago, Yridaa said:

I'm a bit rusty, so unless it was retconned, Medivh opened the dark portal in the first place to make sure Azeroth faced a great threat - to make sure the Human race would make an army to stand up to the first orc invasion and centralize its empire, to work together to beat the first great orc threat. So that they were ready for the much harder hardships to come later.

Medivh opened the Dark Portal with Gul'dan on the other side because he was under the influence of the Dark Titan, Sargeras. Sargeras through links had control over the orcs due to the demon blood and wanted to use them as his army to conquer the existing forces of Azeroth so that the Legion could invade and the main defenses, in particular the Humans of Lordaeron, would not be able to oppose them.

1 minute ago, leapingshadow said:

Medivh opened the Dark Portal with Gul'dan on the other side because he was under the influence of the Dark Titan, Sargeras. Sargeras through links had control over the orcs due to the demon blood and wanted to use them as his army to conquer the existing forces of Azeroth so that the Legion could invade and the main defenses, in particular the Humans of Lordaeron, would not be able to oppose them.

I do think that in the book (can't remember the name) where you gain insight into Medivh's mind, he does discuss the idea that there isn't a force able to resist anything on Azeroth and that, by bringing the Horde, the Alliance is created and sets into motion events that allow us to survive.

3 minutes ago, Blainie said:

I do think that in the book (can't remember the name) where you gain insight into Medivh's mind, he does discuss the idea that there isn't a force able to resist anything on Azeroth and that, by bringing the Horde, the Alliance is created and sets into motion events that allow us to survive.

Must have missed that book and in particular that line of thought, I've always thought its because he was being controlled and manipulated by Sargeras, if he was in the right mind why would Khadgar and Anduin kill him?

53 minutes ago, leapingshadow said:

Must have missed that book and in particular that line of thought, I've always thought its because he was being controlled and manipulated by Sargeras, if he was in the right mind why would Khadgar and Anduin kill him?

I think it was a sort of "make the best of a bad situation" on his part, in that he knew the Alliance would be able to stop the invasion if they just came together. There was definitely a very strong element of Sargeras' corruption of Medivh in it, but after Medivh dies and he speaks to Khadgar, he is aware of everything that happened and speaks normally as Medivh. I think there is still that part of Medivh there that tried to make right what was slowly going wrong, if that makes sense?

There are times when he was actually very normal towards Khadgar, showing normal intrigue and friendliness towards him.

If the Horde never came, the Alliance wouldn't have existed. Think of all the things that have happened on Azeroth since then that never would have been able to have been stopped.

• Like 1

Actually I think what you guys are talking about is the result of retconning and new canon etc. As I remember it it was in fact to strengthen or test Azeroth to make them able to withstand an eventual Burning Legion invasion in the beginning, as Yridaa said, then they changed it to the Sargeras stuff later on. I can't be sure ofc and don't feel like researching atm, but that's what I seem to remember.

Bah I hate the retconning with pivotal moments like these. There was nothing wrong with the initial canon about him preparing Azeroth for greater dangers coming later. It is a well thought out plan and on top of that very mysterious (How does he know?). Now it's just "He's evil and conspiring with the enemy"?

14f[1].jpg

14 hours ago, Starym said:

Actually I think what you guys are talking about is the result of retconning and new canon etc. As I remember it it was in fact to strengthen or test Azeroth to make them able to withstand an eventual Burning Legion invasion in the beginning, as Yridaa said, then they changed it to the Sargeras stuff later on. I can't be sure ofc and don't feel like researching atm, but that's what I seem to remember.

Yeah - the books also are always a grey area. You never know what will/won't be changed, even if it is something written by Metzen. It sucks that there isn't an official post on the lore section of B.net telling us what was/wasn't removed/changed.

On 2017-07-17 at 9:56 PM, Yridaa said:

I have not read the second chronicle, so if there are any changes/clarifications there it is new knowledge to me.

But, I was under the impression that during the events of WC1, Medivh, partly controlled by Sargeras, opened up the Dark Portal to allow the MU Gul'dan to get access to Sargeras' Tomb.

Later, during WC3, Medivh, under the guise of the Prophet, guided Jaina and Thrall to Kalimdor, where they allied with the Night Elves and defeated Archimonde at Mount Hyjal. 

Or am I getting something wrong here?

18 hours ago, Drachar said:

I have not read the second chronicle, so if there are any changes/clarifications there it is new knowledge to me.

But, I was under the impression that during the events of WC1, Medivh, partly controlled by Sargeras, opened up the Dark Portal to allow the MU Gul'dan to get access to Sargeras' Tomb.

Later, during WC3, Medivh, under the guise of the Prophet, guided Jaina and Thrall to Kalimdor, where they allied with the Night Elves and defeated Archimonde at Mount Hyjal. 

Or am I getting something wrong here?

You're right, but you're missing the bit in the middle of Medivh's death. When Medivh was killed, his spirit split from the body and was then eventually resurrected by Aegwynn. He then had a clear mind without the corruption of Sargeras and took on the guise of the Prophet.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

In order to improve the AoE performance of Shadow Priests in short duration multitarget situations, changes are planned for the class with next week's maintenance.
      Blizzard (Source)
      With the next weekly maintenance, we'll be shifting around some of Shadow Priests' damage sources with the goal of improving their AOE damage performance in short-duration multitarget situations - namely dungeon trash packs.

The nature and lifetime of dungeon trash packs makes it hard for Shadow Priests to ramp up to their full damage potential as part of their rotation. These changes should improve that situation, with a mostly neutral effect for overall performance in longer-duration raid fights.  Void Eruption No longer deals a separate damage event for each of your Shadow Word: Pain or Vampiric Touch on each target. Instead, deals a single damage event to all targets that have EITHER your Shadow Word: Pain or Vampiric Touch. Void Eruption damage increased by 700% Shadow Crash Cooldown reduced to 20 sec. (down from 30 sec) Insanity generation increased to 20. (up from 15) Missile speed increased by 60%. Mind Sear (Passive) Damage increased by 50%. Heart of the Void (Legendary) Increases Void Eruption’s damage by 75% (down from 300%) and heals you for 25% (down from 40%) of the damage done. Developers Note: This is compensation for the Void Eruption buff. The overall effect is mostly neutral. Shadow Word: Pain/Vampiric Touch Damage reduced by 4%. Developers Note: This is compensation for the Void Eruption buff in extended fights.
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Aggramar guide.
    • By Stan

Did you miss any matches played at BlizzCon 2017? No problem! Blizzard uploaded a recap video of the WoW Arena World Championship with all important highlights.
      Congratulations to this year's world champions - team ABC! For more BlizzCon coverage check out our BlizzCon 2017 content hub.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Miss any matches? Forget the final? Wonder who won? Look no further! We have all the action from the Arena World Championship world finals at BlizzCon 2017 right here.
      WANT THE TL;DR? WATCH THE RECAP VIDEO
      HOW CHAMPIONS ARE MADE
      In the opening week, ten teams descended on Anaheim in the run-up to the finals, with two teams eliminated on day one.
      Panda Global took down Rockets Eclipse with relative ease, to be met by defending world champions Method: Triforce. Panda Global were on fire, with the fever-pitch energy of the crowd fanning the flames. They beat the champions 3-1 in the semi-final to win their place in the final.
      EU VS NA
      Across the bracket, the top-seeded North America team—Method Synergy—faced Europe’s second seeded team, ABC. ABC’s tried and tested formula of Alec on Mage and Niksi on Rogue, seen the previous year, worked like a charm taking down NA’s #1 team 3-2.
      ABC EASY AS 123…4
      The finals in 2017 were once again NA vs EU. The comeback kids on Panda Global looked a little shaky and struggled to hold form, testing the limits of their passionate fans’ patience and creating a tense, exciting atmosphere throughout the arena. Sensing victory, ABC took full control; beating Panda Global in a nail-biting set of games 4-0—earning them their rightful place in World of Warcraft Arena history.
      CONGRATULATIONS TO ABC: WORLD CHAMPIONS!

ABC Crowned World Champions

For more information on all our esports events, including announcements about our upcoming tournaments, head to our dedicated esports site for all the gory details. See you soon!
    • By Stan

Find out what's happening in World of Warcraft during the week of November 21.
      Antorus the Burning Throne
      Antorus will open November 28. Mythic difficulty and the first LFR wing will be available starting December 5.
      Artifact Knowledge Level 53
      All players have access to AK level 53. Legion's max AK cap is 55. There's no reason to worry about catching up on Artifact traits or the Netherlight Crucible relic slots, because AP tokens from world quest and/or bosses will unlock all traits and Concordance of the Legionfall.
      Mythic Keystone Rewards & Affixes
      The ceiling on Mythic Keystone rewards will go up to 15 the week of December 5, when the Mythic difficulty of Antorus opens. If you do a Mythic Keystone 11-15 next week, that effort will be reflected in your weekly chest on December 5. More information can be found here.
      Bolstering Explosive Tyrannical Argus Weekly Quests
      Fuel of a Doomed World: Collect 50 Pristine Argunite from Invasion Points, Rare encounters, or treasure chests on Argus to receive 300 Veiled Argunite. Invasion Onslaught: Complete 3 Invasion Points to get 200 Veiled Argunite. Argus World Boss Occularus

Occularus is this week's Greater Invasion Point world boss. The portal can be found in Antoran Wastes (55, 50). Don't forget to bring a Seal of Broken Fate for a bonus roll. All Argus world bosses drop ilvl 930 loot. Loot tables and Dungeon Journal entries can be found here. World Boss The Soultakers
      Search for the epic world quest The Soultakers in Stormheim. Death Knights can unlock the Dark Runeblade appearance for the Blades of the Fallen Prince via Runes of the Darkening.
      World Boss Loot Tables
      Barnacled Mistcaller Orb Cord of Kept Souls Hel-Cursed Belt Helchain Waistguard Sea-Reaver's Girdle Soultrapper's Pendant Thrice-Accursed Compass Legion Dungeon Event (Nov 21 - 28)
      While this event is active, the final boss of each Legion dungeon awards an extra item when defeated (Sign of the Warrior). Don't forget to complete the weekly dungeon quest "Emissary of War" to get Cache of Fel Treasures that contains a piece of Heroic Tomb of Sargeras gear. WoW's 13 Anniversary (Nov 16 - 30)
      World of Warcraft's 13th anniversary continues until November 30. Don't forget to make use of Celebration Package and read more details here.
      Pilgrim's Bounty (Nov 20 - 27)
      Not much has changed in 2017. Cosmetic Pilgrim's Bounty gear can be transmogrified during the event. More information can be found in our Pilgrim's Bounty guide.
    • By Stan

A new round of hotfixes was deployed to live servers with adjustments to Tier 21 bonuses from Antorus.
      Antorus, the Burning Throne opens next week and Blizzard continues to adjust Tier 21 set bonuses just before opening of Legion's last raid. For more details about Tier 21 sets, check out our Tier 21 set overview.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Dungeons and Raids
      Siege of Orgrimmar Paragons of the Klaxxi and Siegecrafter Blackfuse are much better hosts and no longer lock their doors if you leave the raid early. Items
      Death Knight: Dreadwake Armor Frost 4-piece bonus (Item - Death Knight T21 Frost 4P Bonus) now deals 210% weapon damage per tick (was 420%). Unholy 2-piece bonus (Item - Death Knight T21 Unholy 2P Bonus) now deals 35% of direct damage (was 25%) from Death Coil over 4 seconds. Demon Hunter: Felreaper Vestments Havoc 4-piece bonus (Item - Demon Hunter T21 Havoc 4P Bonus) now increases haste by 15% (was 40%) for 8 seconds. Druid: Bermantle Battlegear Balance 4-piece bonus (Item - Druid T21 Balance 4P Bonus) now increases the damage of Moonfire and Sunfire by 20% (was 10%) for 4 seconds. Hunter: Serpentstalker Guise Beast Mastery 4-piece bonus (Item - Hunter T21 Beast Mastery 4P Bonus) now reduces the cooldown of Aspect of the Wild by 1.5 seconds (was 2.0 seconds). Survival 2-piece bonus (Item - Hunter T21 Survival 2P Bonus) now increases the critical strike damage of your next Raptor Strike by 100% (was 50%) within the next 20 seconds. Mage: Runebound Regalia Arcane 2-piece bonus (Item - Mage T21 Arcane 2P Bonus) now increases your damage by 2% (was 4%) for 8 seconds per Arcane Charge spent. 4-piece bonus (Item - Mage T21 Arcane 4P Bonus) now has a 10% chance (was 8%) to increase your haste by 15% (was 20%) for 6 seconds. Fire 4-piece bonus (Item - Mage T21 Fire 4P Bonus) now increases your critical strike damage by 10% (was 12%) while Combustion is active. Frost 2-piece bonus (Item - Mage T21 Frost 2P Bonus) now increases the damage of Flurry by 15% (was 25%) for each successive ice bolt. 4-piece bonus (Item - Mage T21 Frost 4P Bonus) now increases the damage of your next Ice Lance by 20% (was 25%). Monk: Chi’Ji’s Battlegear Brewmaster 4-piece bonus (Item - Monk T21 Brewmaster 4P Bonus) now reads, “Every time you dodge an attack, the remaining cooldown of Breath of Fire is reduced by 1.0 sec.” Windwalker The 4-piece bonus (Item - Monk T21 Windwalker 4P Bonus) is now the 2-piece bonus, and still has a 10% chance to generate 1 Chi when you consume Blackout Kick! The 2-piece bonus (Item - Monk T21 Windwalker 2P Bonus) is now the 4-piece bonus, and now it increases the damage of your next Blackout Kick by 175% (was 150%). Paladin: Light’s Vanguard Battleplate Retribution 2-piece bonus (Item - Paladin T21 Retribution 2P Bonus) now increases the damage of Judgment by 40% (was 60%). Priest: Gilded Seraph’s Raiment Shadow 4-piece bonus (Item - Priest T21 Shadow 4P Bonus) now increases the critical strike chance of Mind Flay, Void Bolt, and Mind Blast by 0.5% (was 1%) per stack of Void Form. Rogue: Regalia of the Dashing Scoundrel Assassination 2-piece bonus (Item - Rogue T21 Assassination 2P Bonus) now increases the critical strike chance of Deadly Poison and Wound Poison by 60% (was 15%) for 6 seconds. 4-piece bonus (Item - Rogue T21 Assassination 4P Bonus) now has a chance to grant 2 Energy (was 4 Energy) when your Deadly Poison or Wound Poison critically strikes. Outlaw 2-piece bonus (Item - Rogue T21 Outlaw 2P Bonus) now increases the damage of your next Run Through by 15% (was 5%), stacking up to four times. 4-piece bonus (Item - Rogue T21 Outlaw 4P Bonus) now has a 16% chance (was 12%) to grant you a random Roll the Bones effect, that is not already active, for 10 seconds. Subtlety 4-piece bonus (Item - Rogue T21 Subtlety 4P Bonus) now has a 3% chance (was 5%) to grant Shadow Gestures when using Gloomblade, Backstab, and Shadowstrike. Shaman: Garb of Venerated Spirits Enhancement 2-piece bonus (Item - Shaman T21 Enhancement 2P Bonus) now has a 30% chance (was 15%) to increase the damage of your next Rockbiter by 100%. 4-piece bonus (Item - Shaman T21 Enhancement 4P Bonus) now causes the target to take 15% (was 10%) increased Fire and Nature damage from your attacks for 4.50 seconds after using Rockbiter. Warlock: Grim Inquisitor’s Regalia Affliction 4-piece bonus (Item - Warlock T21 Affliction 4P Bonus) now increases Corruption, Siphon Life, and Agony damage by 10% for 8 seconds (was 6 seconds). Destruction 2-piece bonus (Item - Warlock T21 Destruction 2P Bonus) now increases the critical strike chance of Incinerate by 40% (was 20%). Warrior: Juggernaut Battlegear Arms 2-piece bonus (Item - Warrior T21 Arms 2P Bonus) now increases your critical strike damage by 7% (was 10%) after using Colossus Smash. 4-piece bonus (Item - Warrior T21 Arms 4P Bonus) now increases the damage and critical strike chance of your next Whirlwind or Slam by 12% (was 15%), stacking up to three times. Fury 2-piece bonus (Item - Warrior T21 Fury 2P Bonus) now causes the target to bleed for an additional 18% (was 30%) of the direct damage dealt by Rampage, over 4 seconds. 4-piece bonus (Item - Warrior T21 Fury 4P Bonus) now increases the damage of your Rampage by 25% (was 75%) for 8 seconds. Events
      WoW’s 13th Anniversary Anniversary boss bonus rolls now reward Artifact Power instead of gold if you do not receive an item.