FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
f0nZi3

Ads are blocking ability to read topics

The ads when viewing a forum topic are not only blocking the reply button but are also cutting part of the users post out.

I know individually, you can circumvent this with an ad blocker but not everyone uses one so I figured I'd post this here so the Admins and/or Moderators could maybe correct it. :)

Ads should not be that intrusive on the website.

If you could provide a screenshot it would be easier for us to see, and I'm sure Damien will take care of it as soon as he can.

You might want to clear your cache or reload the page with CTRL+F5 a few times. As far as I can see, the forum looks fine, but we switched to a new design a few weeks ago, so it is possible that you still have parts of the old design.

I've been having a similar problem. Temporary fix is to scroll so the bar with all the drop down menus is at the top then open up one of the drop downs. and read what you can, should be enough to where you scroll down you should be past where it is blocking.

Edit: I'm using internet explorer so it's not your browser.

Edited by EgoReaper

Guest WeeWilly

my 2 cents - since the look has been change over the course of a while now, I still run across pages that are like what f0nZi3 sees.  I have taken screen shots and sent them to IV, but never heard back nor saw a fix.

And for the record, I use a mixture of IE8, IE9, IE10 and Firefox 21 to 23.0.1.  Doesn't matter, there is/are still issues with ads over-writing the site.  But the biggest gripe of them all are ads, that grow to a half of a page or more in size and sound comes out!  Something about Romans III or something like that was the latest culprit.

I am sure that sooner or later they will be fixed, but it is a pain in the butt when the info is needed now and not in the future. smile.png But no biggie, I just trudge along and get it done.

-weewilly

Edited by WeeWilly

Dont worry Weewilly just because you havent heard back from someone doesnt mean your posts are being ignored.

Obviously all of the above isnt meant to be happening and everything will be done to make sure it gets sorted.

Not being able to read a post etc is frustrating but understand it may take a little time to be fully fixed.

Patience until then and just keep us updated with info like in this thread if you can, believe me it is much appreciated :)

my 2 cents - since the look has been change over the course of a while now, I still run across pages that are like what f0nZi3 sees.  I have taken screen shots and sent them to IV, but never heard back nor saw a fix.

And for the record, I use a mixture of IE8, IE9, IE10 and Firefox 21 to 23.0.1.  Doesn't matter, there is/are still issues with ads over-writing the site.  But the biggest gripe of them all are ads, that grow to a half of a page or more in size and sound comes out!  Something about Romans III or something like that was the latest culprit.

I am sure that sooner or later they will be fixed, but it is a pain in the butt when the info is needed now and not in the future. smile.png But no biggie, I just trudge along and get it done.

-weewilly

Ashley, we did reply to you in the "New Design" thread smile.png

Thanks everyone for the reports. I'll get started on fixing these.

Right on. Yeah, I know it may take a bit of time - I know ads are needed for site revenue and I know we all appreciate this site being here.

One recommendation I would suggest is side bar ads. I know I use a wide screen monitor (at home and work) and there is a lot of space to the right and left that could support some ads (if that is an option).

Guest WeeWilly

There's a "new design thread"???  Sorry, I did not know or have seen that one. 

Well, I did say "no biggie"  biggrin.png  

Found another one, but I can't figure out how to put a .png in a reply (I found the "image" but it wants a url - not sure what that is looking for as I am behind a HUGE firewall - the college don't ya know).  It was in the Timeless Isle guide, though.

and thanks a bunch, folks.

-weewilly

• Like 1

Right on. Yeah, I know it may take a bit of time - I know ads are needed for site revenue and I know we all appreciate this site being here.

One recommendation I would suggest is side bar ads. I know I use a wide screen monitor (at home and work) and there is a lot of space to the right and left that could support some ads (if that is an option).

That's something we can discuss with the ad agency. We're going to meet them after BlizzCon, as it's easier to discuss things face to face. That said, I like when ads integrate seamlessly with the design, and having a lone ad on the right would look a bit out of place. I'm aware that the site looks a bit empty on the sides when browsed from a high resolution monitor, and that's something I'll be discussing with the ad agency in November (currently, we're sticking to a 980-pixel width for advertisement purposes).

There's a "new design thread"???  Sorry, I did not know or have seen that one. 

Well, I did say "no biggie"  biggrin.png  

Found another one, but I can't figure out how to put a .png in a reply (I found the "image" but it wants a url - not sure what that is looking for as I am behind a HUGE firewall - the college don't ya know).  It was in the Timeless Isle guide, though.

and thanks a bunch, folks.

-weewilly

I meant this thread: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/2750-new-design/page-3 :p

Guest WeeWilly

thats the beauty of being me - with my short term memory, I tend to forget from day to day.  I see where I had even posted, lol. Sorry. 

The Chrome version shouldn't matter. These ads shouldn't be served to our readers to begin with.

8 hours ago, carlzdooms said:

I know it may take a bit of time - I know ads are needed for site revenue and I know we all appreciate this site being here.

Hey, thanks for your report. Could you be please more specific and provide us with a screenshot so we can report this directly to our ad agency? Are you having issues to search the site, as Opazed above?

On 11/25/2023 at 2:05 PM, piyushupload1 said:

I am sure that sooner or later they will be fixed, but it is a pain in the *filtered* when the info is needed now and not in the future. smile.png But no biggie, I just trudge along and get it done. 

If you happen to encounter any other ad issue while browsing the site can you please share a screenshot with us here? That would be of great help for us in order to have the ad team fix it. So many different ads in different regions/markets across the globe are served that it is difficult for us to identify all the issues.

Many thanks.