FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
DarthMurdock

Paladin in need of help

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/stormrage/starissa

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/9057210/latest

I dont know what im doing wrong, ive have the right talents, and doing my rotation in order, and yet i am doing horrible dps. 

I am currently using the rotation stated on icy-veins.

ive been out dpssed by other paladins pugs and in lfr (i know, but still) and i dont know what i am doing wrong. 

If someone has some advice, it's greatly appreciated.. 

I hope i have provided the details required, otherwise please inform me what i need to add.

Hey there,

At a glance there's a couple things I noticed. For one, that legendary neck isn't great for dps, BiS legendaries right now are the belt and the ring (which you have). Secondly, your mastery is pretty high and your haste is low. Haste is top stat for Ret as it helps with the global cooldown, and the CD of our HP generators (Crusader Strike, Judgement, Blade of whatever/Divine Hammer). Switching out your trinkets would also help, Might of Krosus isn't great, and the umbral moonglaives, while fantastic multitarget, should be switched for a stronger single target trinket while in single target fights. Also, make sure you have a Mark of the Hidden Satyr enchant on your neck. If you can afford to talent swap during raids, you want blade of wrath for single target, divine hammer for multi, however if you have to pick one for the whole run and stick with it, i would recommend going with divine hammer.  Lastly, picking up your 4 set should help. If you have any questions or comments I'd love to help, or if you disagree with something, I'd gladly explain my thoughts behind my choice. Hope this helps!

5 hours ago, Valandil said:

Hey there,

At a glance there's a couple things I noticed. For one, that legendary neck isn't great for dps, BiS legendaries right now are the belt and the ring (which you have). Secondly, your mastery is pretty high and your haste is low. Haste is top stat for Ret as it helps with the global cooldown, and the CD of our HP generators (Crusader Strike, Judgement, Blade of whatever/Divine Hammer). Switching out your trinkets would also help, Might of Krosus isn't great, and the umbral moonglaives, while fantastic multitarget, should be switched for a stronger single target trinket while in single target fights. Also, make sure you have a Mark of the Hidden Satyr enchant on your neck. If you can afford to talent swap during raids, you want blade of wrath for single target, divine hammer for multi, however if you have to pick one for the whole run and stick with it, i would recommend going with divine hammer.  Lastly, picking up your 4 set should help. If you have any questions or comments I'd love to help, or if you disagree with something, I'd gladly explain my thoughts behind my choice. Hope this helps!

It's nice of you to help a fellow Ret Paladin. However some things have to be corrected:

1. You state the BIS legendaries are Belt + Ring. The ring is only BIS if you have the 4 set of Tier 20. It's still good without the 4 set however, but then it's Belt + Cloak BIS. (Small correction).

2. Personal opinion but I would stick with Blade of Wrath baseline for a whole run if you can't afford to change talents. Divine Hammer is only used on 2, max 3 fights out of all 9 in Tomb. Only exception being Mythic when there are fights with additional adds (think Demonic Inquisition). But for example on heroic you find higher dps output with BoW over DH on fights like Demonic Inquisition and Kil'Jaeden. Check warcraftlogs for top logs if you don't believe me.

Clarification: BoW is best for ST but also acceptable in (small) AoE/Cleave situations. Having resets on BoW especially with the 4 set means you generate a lot more Holy Power than you would with DH. Which means: more Divine Storms. So it's best for ST but also still okay for cleave/AoE. 

Now on to 

On 19-7-2017 at 11:30 PM, DarthMurdock said:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/stormrage/starissa

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/9057210/latest

I dont know what im doing wrong, ive have the right talents, and doing my rotation in order, and yet i am doing horrible dps. 

I am currently using the rotation stated on icy-veins.

ive been out dpssed by other paladins pugs and in lfr (i know, but still) and i dont know what i am doing wrong. 

If someone has some advice, it's greatly appreciated.. 

I hope i have provided the details required, otherwise please inform me what i need to add.

To agree with Valandil let's start off with your neck enchant. As a dps you want Mark of the Hidden Satyr. Secondly, as Valandil pointed out right as well your Mastery is far too high in comparison to your other stats. Mastery is Retribution Paladin's WORST stat at the moment. Very underwhelming for our dps in Legion on both ST and AoE fights alike. In doubt? Always go for Haste. Haste is in some cases even better than Strength (itemlevel) upgrades. 

Now a copy pasta from another reply I made in a different thread.

1. Are you 100% sure you do your rotation right?

2. Legendaries / gear / stats. Retribution is very gear dependant. Even within the same ilvl bracket the right stats (For example having 30% haste and 10% mastery vs 10% haste and 30% mastery) have a huge impact. Also legendaries, having the bis legendaries will increase your dps by a lot over people who don't have those. (Belt, Cloak/Ring). Shoulders are okay too. 

3. Properly enchanted / gemmed?

4. Using potions (2x Old War / atleast Prolonged Power), Food (Haste / Crit / Vers or even better the 500 Strength Feast), Defiled Augment Runes, Flasks (Strength)?

5. Timing your Wings (Crusade) well with certain parts of a fight? During Bloodlust (Heroism), other buffs within a fight (think Maiden of Vigilance), during parts with heavy adds coming in? (Harjatan, Mistress) etc.

6. Right talents? Using the right talents for single target, aoe situations etc? 

7. Tier? Do you have the 2- or 4- set of Tier 20 and/or Tier 19? I personally sim/have the highest dps output with TIer 20 4 set + Tier 19 2 set even if I equip pieces with +20 itemlevel on tier slots, tier wins.

8. Trinkets? Part of gear but trinkets themselves are huge on Ret paladins. Especially trinkets that align with your wings (Crusade). Think Faulty Countermeasure (from VoTW), Convergence of Fates etc. (kinda outdated but you get the point). 

Look at every step and confirm you got it right. Can also try to compare your logs to those of Paladins with similar ilvl-brackets as yours. Hope this helps a bit in reflecting yourself. 

Edited by Shishikyu
  • Like 1

okay, thank you so much for the replies. 

The current neck enchant is wrong, i know that, but that was because my guild wanted me to heal during the raid. 
when it comes to buffs, yes everything is in order. 

I think my issue comes from having to much mastery, it's not good for a ret paladin, right?

Hello DarthMurdock,

You are missing about 1 minute, give or take, of uptime on your Judgement spell.  You used it 28 times which leave a lot of unused judgements. Maybe you are using your holy power spenders when your judgement is down? You should watch Quin69's 7.2.5 retribution paladin video. He explains in depth rotations and talents and is very informative. 

But yeah, I was pulling a bit more dps at a much lower item level with a higher judgement uptime (yeah I know it's normal ToS, but I was only 870-875 ilvl during that raid)  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/21365224/13#metric=dps

Just make sure you keep judgement up before you dump holy power! Cheers!