RyanStanley

Icicles vs. Haste

Sign in to follow this  

7 posts in this topic

On my server, we don't do heroic content.  So I thought I'd give ToT a try with my new build.  I am using a soft buffed haste cap of 37.52% which yields the 2 ticks of living bomb so I can stack mastery.  This seems to be much better than my last build, which was going for 50% buffed haste.  I'm at the soft cap for crit too it would appear.  What are you guys doing with the new mastery?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/xfqljgw9awly3ge7/

I realize these aren't the best logs, as it was new content for me (notice the failure on my part to realize the hunters didn't have the right pet for heroism), but the mastery actually helped me in this regard... most of my damage was from ice lance and living bomb (because i was scared to stand in place too long haha)  

What's the best build you guys have found for frost in 5.4?

It is very important to track temporary stat gains (trinket procs, meta gem, etc..) so that you can refresh bombs at the proper times.  

Haste affects:

• Frostbolt
  • Mage Bomb
  • Brain Freeze procs
  • Fingers of Frost procs (a sub benefit from extra Brain Freeze procs)
  • Waterbolt (Pet)

Mastery affects:

• Frostbolt
  • Frostfire Bolt (from Brain Freeze procs)
  • Waterbolt (Pet)

I would highly recommend Hit (15%) > Haste > Mastery > Crit

If you are going to cap Haste go to at least 48%

You got me confused. The frost mage guide has the stat priority:

1. Intellect;
  2. Hit Rating (until 15%);
  3. Haste Rating;
  4. Critical Strike Rating;
  5. Mastery Rating.

Crit before mastery.

Edited by Beer

Can you tell me more about bomb refreshing for temp procs?  Currently I refresh only if it's going to expire or will prior to an evocation.  Just need to refresh on any proc?  Jade spirit count?

You got me confused. The frost mage guide has the stat priority:

• Intellect;
  • Hit Rating (until 15%);
  • Haste Rating;
  • Critical Strike Rating;
  • Mastery Rating.
Crit before mastery.

I finally found someone who plays a Frost Mage exclusively to review the guide. I'll update it tomorrow and the stat priority will be closer to what you suggest.

Can you tell me more about bomb refreshing for temp procs?  Currently I refresh only if it's going to expire or will prior to an evocation.  Just need to refresh on any proc?  Jade spirit count?

Jade Spirit and trinket procs, mostly.

It is very important to track temporary stat gains (trinket procs, meta gem, etc..) so that you can refresh bombs at the proper times.  

Haste affects:

• Frostbolt
  • Mage Bomb
  • Brain Freeze procs
  • Fingers of Frost procs (a sub benefit from extra Brain Freeze procs)
  • Waterbolt (Pet)
Mastery affects:
  • Frostbolt
  • Frostfire Bolt (from Brain Freeze procs)
  • Waterbolt (Pet)
I would highly recommend Hit (15%) > Haste > Mastery > Crit

If you are going to cap Haste go to at least 48%

In simC, on patchwerk, the difference between a frost haste build and a frost mastery build is about 5k. So, taking that into account, what you build should probably be more based on what your gear already is correct? If your gear has excessive mastery, you'll probably get more out of a mastery base build then a haste because you'll have less haste available than someone with more haste on their items.

Idea being this, Overall, you have 6k Mastery from items with about 2k from items (unreforged/enchanted/gemmed). Now, just guessing here, but let's say you can take away 1.5k of that mastery and turn it into haste. You then have 4.5k Mastery and 3.5k haste. Now, there is still 1k haste rating difference there that you'll need to make up before your haste will surpass your mastery.

Now, if we take the same percentage away from haste, 500, we have 6.5k mastery and 1.5k haste. 500 haste really doesn't feel like it helps us that much (maybe .1 second off your frostbolt cast? not sure on it's influence)

Saying this though, if you're going for an arcane OS, may as well build mastery since the difference in dps is minimal.

• SimC is virtually useless for mages (it's simply not setup correctly for mages) sad.png  We (the mage community) primarily rely on seeing what heroic raiders/benchmark setters are doing and copying them.

Stacking mastery over haste (for Frost) will not be horribly behind but you won't set records doing that either.  Haste improves our mage bomb performance, Mastery does not - and mage bomb is a large % of our damage as frost (for almost every fight).

If you don't have a high amount of Haste gear, then I would not play Frost and instead stick with Arcane.

All of what I have said is for absolutely maximizing dps.  If you aren't in a Heroic progression group then simply play the spec you enjoy most!  These differences are not game breaking.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Thanagore
      Hey!
      <Growth> is a newly formed guild and we're currently looking for active raiders! The principles of the guild are to respect each other and be willing to both learn and help. We want to do weekly HC clears and progress into Mythic Antorus. Right now we are looking for all roles and classes. 
      If you are interested then write here or contact @Thanagore on the Draenor realm.
    • By tanksta1
      [H] Salvation (est.2007) is a progression raiding guild on US-Cenarion Circle/Sisters of Elune.
      Objective
      Salvation is actively searching and recruiting players for current heroic content. What we look to do in the short-term is recruit players and gear them in our farm content. Mythic + will be run as well since it serves as another outlet to gearing up. By doing this we prepare them for our long-term goal, Mythic Mode Progression.
      Recruiting for Antorus
      Tanks- Blood DK (willing to dps as well) Melee- Rogue x1, Death Knight x1, Ret/Holy Paladin x1 Ranged- Mages x2, Hunter x1-2, Warlock x1-2, Balance Druid x1-2 Healers- Resto/Ele Shaman x1, Holy/Disc Priest x1

***Exceptional applicants can feel free to sign up even if we aren't recruiting your class/spec. Outstanding applications will always be considered.
      We are also accepting players that engage in social aspects of the WoW community such as leveling, PvP, questing, dungeon finding, roleplaying and other challenging activites. We provide monthly guild events. For example, the Tournament of Tiny Champions. It’s a pet battle tournament where guildies compete with each other using 3-6 of their mightiest level 25 tiny champions. We are expanding this extremely fun side of Salvation so that everyone can join in on some action and prizes!
      Raiding Schedule
      Our schedule is as follows. We push content three times a week for 3 hours at a time starting at 6:00pm to 9:00pm PST Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Mondays. 
      Our Raiding Requirements
      You must be able to raid all three nights. Be on time for raid. Lateness will not be tolerated. Be able to play the optimal specialization for Legion raid encounters. (this requirement is more towards the pure dps classes and hybrid classes in some special cases) Come prepared with the knowledge of the Legion raid bosses and mechanics. Have Discord app installed and a working microphone to communicate. Discord browser and phone app is also acceptable. (Note: Some of these requirements will change as time goes on.)
      How to Join
      Please sign up on our guild website at:
      www.salvationcc.guildlaunch.com Want to reach me in game? On Discord? Questions or concerns? Hit me up at:
      Battletag: Zanngetsu#1255 Discord: Tankstâ2329  
    • By Flogency
      Hey guys! 
      Kings of Winter are looking to start raiding again after a break at a casual and steady pace! We are a small, close-knit guild at the moment and we are looking for reliable and dedicated players willing to do current raid content on heroic difficulty in a friendly and a relaxed atmosphere. It will take us some time to form because we have just started recruiting but we'd be happy to have you if you are patient enough.
      That being said, we are also gladly accepting people who would just like to socialize and hang out, and also the players interested in PvP and regular guild keystone runs (as PvE is our main goal).
      The players we are looking for:
      -Players who are patient enough for the guild to develop and form
      -Friendly and mature
      -Dedicated, eager to improve and reliable raid attendance
      Rules and expectations:
      -Don't be a douche
      -Be 10-15 minutes online earlier, with consumables (at one point they will be provided by the guild)
      -Know tactics
      -Subdue absence in raids to a minimum
      -Let the guild know when you cannot attend the raid 
      -If you aren't very skilled it is alright as long as you are eager to improve, the guild will be glad to help you out if you can help yourself :)
      -Join voice communications is a must in raids
      Guild goal:
      We aim at doing current raid content at the Heroic difficulty, but start preparing in Normal while we gear up and get familiar with the raid and it's tactics. We also seek to have players do an occasional keystone run for some gear outside the raid; all that in a friendly environment :)
      So far we have raided 2 nights a week with a 3rd casual/ fun run. Raiding schedule is yet to be decided with the guild, as we are starting anew.
      Last but not least:
      Forming a raid team and developing the guild in general will be a slow and steady process, and for that reason we are looking for dedicated, patient players as ourselves while we form up. 
      I really hope I will hear from you guys soon and that you will join our small and friendly community whether you wish to raid or just socialize, as the game will be more fun for everyone when there's company!
      My btag is Flogency#2183 should you decide to contact me :)
    • By Phunbaba
      [H]Den of Wolves-Bloodhoof/Duskwood

We want to transition to full time Heroic Raiding and increase our Mythic+ status beyond 15s. We are also dabbling in Rated BG. We raid Tues/Fri@8pm Server. We PvP Sat@9pm. We mythic+ often and designate Monday's to getting as many guildmates a key run as possible.

We need More Active Aggressive HEALERS. We need more reliable 5man Tanks that can run either heals or dps for progression raiding. We only have room for dps who can meet one of the previously mentioned roles at this time.

We have a casual environment free of elitism, ego issues, and drama. We play the game to have fun and succeed. We treat every encounter as an experience to grow and improve. 

If this interests you please contact any member online for further information on joining up!

Thanks for reading!
      -phun-
      phubaba#1467
    • By Bicgurl
      Beside all the builds, rotations and bis legendaries, what are the ideal stat percentages  according to their importance haste>mastery>everything else? Other than valarjar berserkers, what are the other bis leggys for single target and mythic plus dungeons?