RyanStanley

Icicles vs. Haste

Sign in to follow this  

7 posts in this topic

On my server, we don't do heroic content.  So I thought I'd give ToT a try with my new build.  I am using a soft buffed haste cap of 37.52% which yields the 2 ticks of living bomb so I can stack mastery.  This seems to be much better than my last build, which was going for 50% buffed haste.  I'm at the soft cap for crit too it would appear.  What are you guys doing with the new mastery?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/xfqljgw9awly3ge7/

I realize these aren't the best logs, as it was new content for me (notice the failure on my part to realize the hunters didn't have the right pet for heroism), but the mastery actually helped me in this regard... most of my damage was from ice lance and living bomb (because i was scared to stand in place too long haha)  

What's the best build you guys have found for frost in 5.4?

It is very important to track temporary stat gains (trinket procs, meta gem, etc..) so that you can refresh bombs at the proper times.  

Haste affects:

• Frostbolt
  • Mage Bomb
  • Brain Freeze procs
  • Fingers of Frost procs (a sub benefit from extra Brain Freeze procs)
  • Waterbolt (Pet)

Mastery affects:

• Frostbolt
  • Frostfire Bolt (from Brain Freeze procs)
  • Waterbolt (Pet)

I would highly recommend Hit (15%) > Haste > Mastery > Crit

If you are going to cap Haste go to at least 48%

You got me confused. The frost mage guide has the stat priority:

1. Intellect;
  2. Hit Rating (until 15%);
  3. Haste Rating;
  4. Critical Strike Rating;
  5. Mastery Rating.

Crit before mastery.

Edited by Beer

Can you tell me more about bomb refreshing for temp procs?  Currently I refresh only if it's going to expire or will prior to an evocation.  Just need to refresh on any proc?  Jade spirit count?

You got me confused. The frost mage guide has the stat priority:

• Intellect;
  • Hit Rating (until 15%);
  • Haste Rating;
  • Critical Strike Rating;
  • Mastery Rating.
Crit before mastery.

I finally found someone who plays a Frost Mage exclusively to review the guide. I'll update it tomorrow and the stat priority will be closer to what you suggest.

Can you tell me more about bomb refreshing for temp procs?  Currently I refresh only if it's going to expire or will prior to an evocation.  Just need to refresh on any proc?  Jade spirit count?

Jade Spirit and trinket procs, mostly.

It is very important to track temporary stat gains (trinket procs, meta gem, etc..) so that you can refresh bombs at the proper times.  

Haste affects:

• Frostbolt
  • Mage Bomb
  • Brain Freeze procs
  • Fingers of Frost procs (a sub benefit from extra Brain Freeze procs)
  • Waterbolt (Pet)
Mastery affects:
  • Frostbolt
  • Frostfire Bolt (from Brain Freeze procs)
  • Waterbolt (Pet)
I would highly recommend Hit (15%) > Haste > Mastery > Crit

If you are going to cap Haste go to at least 48%

In simC, on patchwerk, the difference between a frost haste build and a frost mastery build is about 5k. So, taking that into account, what you build should probably be more based on what your gear already is correct? If your gear has excessive mastery, you'll probably get more out of a mastery base build then a haste because you'll have less haste available than someone with more haste on their items.

Idea being this, Overall, you have 6k Mastery from items with about 2k from items (unreforged/enchanted/gemmed). Now, just guessing here, but let's say you can take away 1.5k of that mastery and turn it into haste. You then have 4.5k Mastery and 3.5k haste. Now, there is still 1k haste rating difference there that you'll need to make up before your haste will surpass your mastery.

Now, if we take the same percentage away from haste, 500, we have 6.5k mastery and 1.5k haste. 500 haste really doesn't feel like it helps us that much (maybe .1 second off your frostbolt cast? not sure on it's influence)

Saying this though, if you're going for an arcane OS, may as well build mastery since the difference in dps is minimal.

• SimC is virtually useless for mages (it's simply not setup correctly for mages) sad.png  We (the mage community) primarily rely on seeing what heroic raiders/benchmark setters are doing and copying them.

Stacking mastery over haste (for Frost) will not be horribly behind but you won't set records doing that either.  Haste improves our mage bomb performance, Mastery does not - and mage bomb is a large % of our damage as frost (for almost every fight).

If you don't have a high amount of Haste gear, then I would not play Frost and instead stick with Arcane.

All of what I have said is for absolutely maximizing dps.  If you aren't in a Heroic progression group then simply play the spec you enjoy most!  These differences are not game breaking.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Babblet
      Location: Horde, US Connected Realms: Aegwynn, Bonechewer, Daggerspine, Gurubashi, Hakkar. 
      Raiding Times: Mon/Tue 7:30 PM EST - 11:30 PM EST

About us:
      We are former nolife raiders who now enjoy spending time outside our basements in the real world. Our total play time has decreased slightly but we still strive to meaningfully progress our characters through end game raiding. Currently we are recruiting new members to help us progress in the upcoming expansion. Join us and lets slay Dragons together!
      Apply if you are:
      interested in end game content; M+ Dungeons and Heroic/Mythic Raiding capable of critical thought and willing to contribute when discussing strategy a self-starter who plays to improve and keep up to date with latest theorycraft always on time and reliable  
      Recruitment Status: currently recruiting Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, Healing classes.

Contacts/Battle Tags:
      Shig#1825 (Guild Master)
      Silvadine#1273 (Officer)
      Discord:
      Shig#8835
      Silvadine#1277
    • By Sephyra
      Guild Information:
      Guild name: Training Grounds
      Faction: Horde
      Realm: Draenor (EU)
      Realm Type: Normal - PVE
      Current progress: -
      Raid days: Daily
      Raid times: 20.30-23.00 CET
      (Full application details on website)

Recruiting for BFA Raiding:

Currently all specs are considered for the arrival of BFA!

About us:

Training Ground is a 30-man laid back heroic oriented raiding guild that consists of experienced raiders with some of them having raiding experience as far back as Vanilla.

We are a friendly group who enjoys World of Warcraft and loves raiding. We have fun and joke around but when bosses need to go down then all is serious! We wish for all our members to enjoy the game as much as we do and we expect raiders to maintain a 90% attendance per month.

We also enjoy a variety of other activities such as running a lot of Mythic+ dungeons doing alt-runs, achievement runs etc.

There are a few things we hold in high value but above else we value friendliness and politeness towards guildies and other players and skillfulness when it comes to the more serious parts of the game.

Currently :

Raiding days are being rotated and raiding times are from 20:30 till 23:00 server time.
      If you're interested in joining Training Grounds, please fill in our application form, located at https://training-grounds.eu/apply/, alternatively please whisper one of our officers:

On Bnet:
      Leleko - Leleko#2235
      Narweena - Sephyra#2517

On Discord:
      Leleko#7934
      Narweena#7029

We're always open to group applications.
      We are also open and welcome social applications.
    • By Narii625
      SERVER: Illidan
      RAID TIMES: Fridays & Sundays 10pm - 1am Server Time.
      PROGRESSION: 2/11M
      CURRENTLY RECRUITING*
      Tank All DPS (Healer offspec preferred but not required) Possibly accepting other roles! ABOUT US
      Now recruiting for BFA!
      Currently looking for skilled and laid back Tank & DPS for the upcoming expansion.
      We're semi-casual in terms of the time we spend raiding, but are serious about progression, attendance, and performance.
      Booty Pirates is a close-knit late night guild that hangs out in Discord frequently. We enjoy joking around, playing alts, doing Mythic+, playing other games, or just hanging out. 
      Fun guild events are scheduled often!
      Overall, we're very social with guild members that actually talk to each other.
      (18+ required, we talk like pirates!)
      GOALS FOR BFA
      In Battle for Azeroth we plan to push Mythic more than we did previously in Legion, and not spend nearly as much time on Heroic. 
      This means we will jump into Mythic/Heroic weekends as soon as the majority of the Heroic gear is done. (Mythic Friday and Heroic Sunday, for example, until we phase Heroic out completely.) 
      SCHEDULE UNTIL BFA**
      Fridays currently mandatory for core raiders for a partial Heroic clear.
      Sundays reserved for non-mandatory misc WoW activities (M+, leveling alts for BFA etc.) or other non-WoW related events.
      If ilvl is high enough, you can join for Friday (950+) and Sunday on any character, not just the one you want to play in BFA.
                *The class you play in BFA can be different from what you play now; we will be flexible until the expansion hits.
                **Schedule subject to changes.
      JOINING THE BOOTY PIRATES CREW
      Make sure to add me on Battle.net and/or fill out our short 6 question app to join us. We look forward to speaking with you!
      Start the app here! 
      Battle.net ID: LadyPluu#1299
    • By Narii625
      VISIT OUR WEBSITE!

SERVER: Illidan
      RAID TIMES: Fridays & Sundays 10pm - 1am Server Time.
      PROGRESSION: 2/11M, 11/11H
      LOOT STYLE: EPGP DKP Reloaded (What is EPGP?)
      CURRENTLY ACCEPTING (950+ ilvl)
      All DPS! (Healer offspec preferred but not required) Possibly accepting other roles! ABOUT US
      950+ ilvl to trial immediately, but we accept others. AotC required.
      We are looking for skilled and laid back DPS for Mythic Antorus.
      We're semi-casual in terms of time we spend raiding, but are serious about progression, attendance, and performance.
      We're a close-knit guild that hangs out in Discord a lot, joking, playing alts, Mythic+, other games or just hanging out. Fun guild events happen monthly!
      Overall, we're very social with guild members that actually talk to each other. (18+ required, we talk like pirates!)

Fill out our Application form & add me on Battle.net and/or Discord! 
      Battle.net ID: LadyPluu#1299
      Discord ID: LadyPluu#4473
      Recruitment Officer
      Booty Pirates Website
    • By MyBearShibbers
      About us/What we're looking for :)
      We are a long standing guild on Alonsus (2007) with a social and a heroic raiding focus looking for players to join the raid team ready for Battle for Azeroth.
      As an adult guild with a focus on having fun and progressing at our own pace we're looking for like-minded individuals who know their class, can give and receive constructive feedback and most importantly want to have a good time with good people.
      Outside of raiding we dip our toes into pretty much all other content so you can always find someone to run a M+ with you, and if you sweet talk them enough they might even join in with some PvP.
      Raid Schedule
      Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday during progress
      Thursday & Sunday on farm
      8pm - 11pm GMT (9pm - 12pm Server time)
      Requirements
      - An English speaker
      - 18+ guild chat can sometimes be a little NSFW because there are some warped senses of humour in this guild.
      - Access to Discord.
      - Some idea of what you're doing :D
      If you're interested in raiding with us please fill out an application and an officer will be in contact. Social members need not fill this out.
      https://goo.gl/forms/t2QD3mlOYDljYEBB2
      Raid Lead - Bnet -Shibbers#2276 | Discord - Shibbers#4913