Stan

Sharding Disabled on RP Realms

Sign in to follow this  

5 posts in this topic

DgjJZC7.jpg

Sharding has been disabled on RP realms, because of the annual Tournament of Ages Event on Moon Guard.

The event lasts for a whole week and it's one of the biggest annual celebrations on Moon Guard. Below is a trailer of how it looks like in Icecrown. They even have an official website, where you can check out all details.

Here's the official announcement about sharding.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

Over the last couple of years, we've begun using some new technology we've occasionally referred to as "sharding" in non-instanced zones, which separates players in high-traffic areas out into separate "shards" of a particular zone. The benefit to our server performance has been massive - it was a huge part of why Legion's launch went so smoothly - and so, as a whole, we've been very happy with the system.

The one exception has been on RP realms, where player-run events are much more common. On RP realms, we believe that the overall loss to game performance is worth it in order to support those events. If players on RP realms choose to organize an event and congregate somewhere, and have a laggy experience as a result, that's their choice, and we'd like to allow them as much freedom to do so as possible.

So, we've recently applied a hotfix that should disable realm sharding in the vast majority of the outdoor world on RP realms. That includes Kalimdor, the Eastern Kingdoms, Northrend, Pandaria, Outland, Draenor, and all related sub-zones. This has actually been our intention for some time now, but as part of investigating some reports involving a player-run event in Northrend, we discovered some secondary issues that were causing it not to function properly.

There are still limits, of course; we don't want playing on an RP realm to mean you can't properly experience core game content due to low FPS or heavy input lag. As such, all Legion zones (including all of the Broken Isles, the Broken Isles version of Dalaran, and soon, Argus) will still have sharding active, as they do on non-RP realms. Similarly, when the game itself points players toward a specific area of the non-Legion world (such as for a holiday event or new patch content), we may temporarily re-enable sharding in that area until things settle down.

In general, however, our goal is to follow the general rule of thumb that RP realms do not shard, except in current-expansion zones, or when temporarily necessary to support gameplay. This should now be the case on all RP and RP-PvP realms worldwide. This is in addition to our existing rule that RP realms do not automatically fill areas using our Cross-Realm Zones system (although you can still enter an RP realm using CRZ if you're grouped with a player on an RP realm).

Thanks for all your patience while we implemented the hotfix on this, and awesome job on the Tournament of Ages, guys! 

What about cities ?

No, capital cities should not shard, with the exception of Dalaran above the Broken Isles as mentioned in my post.

If you are seeing issues with this for some reason, please let us know!

Ornyx. On Wyrmrest Accord in Stormwind, Sharding does still seem to be an issue.

I've tested it MANY times, and a lot of times I can't see my own alt sitting in the same spot as my main (When my second account was active).

And while it may not have as much RP or many events, Dalaran (Broken Isles) still does have RP, and a lot of times I'm disconnected from my guild and end up having to be invited to a group because of it.

Can we please just eliminate sharding all together for RP realms? It's quite annoying to know that on one shard there's open RP, but you can't join in unless you ask to be invited to a group. 

The hotfix mentioned was applied yesterday evening and currently appears to be functioning properly. I would ask that you check this again, as I'm not seeing any issues on the couple of servers I personally checked.

We have no plans to eliminate sharing systems for Legion content at this time, as mentioned in my earlier post. Legion is considered core and current gameplay, and the last thing we want to see is latency or FPS issues affecting players who are trying to complete current content. As current content moves away from current zones, whether that be in a patch or expansion, we will review feedback on those zones on a case-by-case basis as the need arises.

Lemme also ask if you're still reading Ornyx. With the removal of phasing in the old world, is it possible to bring back World Defense just for those zones?

I don't have anything to add on this, unfortunately. From my understanding the system that supported World Defense was deprecated and I'm sure what the timeline may be to see its return. I'm aware of Holinka's recent words on this, but I am not aware of any current status of the project. Let's keep this thread on-topic though. 

I don't really believe that this is completely off topic. Like stated before on RP realms with PvP, one of the biggest reasons as to why the World Defense Channel was removed was because of the phasing technology that was implemented. But now seeing that it was removed in the old world, I wanted to ask if there was a possibility of it making a return.

As to the point of it very unlikely returning, I thought it was said during Holinkas Q&A that while there's no delivery date, there will be an effort to making it return in the future for roleplayers. 

I'm aware that he doesn't work for WoW PvP any longer, this statement came from the PvP Lead of World of Warcraft. So it leaves me in confusion.

Apologies, I think my wording may have caused some confusion - i meant 'at this point' as in, in the current scope of things I'm not sure we are likely to see its imminent return. I updated the wording on my post to be more clear. Again, I don't have updates on where that project is or as to the status of it at all. 

While I understand your point that World Defense was removed because of phasing, it's really a side discussion that should be held on its own, separate from this. Again, let's keep discussion here directed at the changes we made to phasing yesterday to support the on-going efforts of the RP community.

Can we just shard MoonGuard instead?  And ideally everyone on it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/9/2017 at 2:40 PM, MrEdren said:

Can we just shard MoonGuard instead?  And ideally everyone on it?

Harsh, but fair.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

Our guide section has been updated with Patch 7.3 reputation guides.
      Learn more about how to gain reputation with Argussian Reach and Army of the Light factions in Patch 7.3.
      Patch 7.3 will be live soon and we updated our guide section with two new faction guides. Upon reaching Exalted with Army of the Light, you can buy Lightforged Warframe for 500,000 Gold. As a raider, you will be interested in the permanent version of Defiled Augment Rune called Lightforged Augment Rune.
      More information about Patch 7.3 reputation catch-up, advancement and rewards can be found by visiting the guides below.
      Argussian Reach Reputation Farming Guide Army of the Light Reputation Farming Guide Should you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them in the respective threads here or here.
    • By Stan

A source of the latest information related to Patch 7.3 and beyond!
      Our Patch 7.3 hub organizes all 7.3 data and latest news coverage in a single place.
      Welcome to our centralized hub dedicated to the biggest patch ever introduced to World of Warcraft. For easier navigation, we'll keep it updated throughout testing by adding links to our latest coverage, so that you won't miss out on any important information.
      Patch 7.3
      This section contains major information about the patch.
      Returning Player Guide *new* Ion Hazzikostas Patch 7.3 Interview  Content Rollout Schedule Dungeons (M+) Changes Build Highlights // Class Changes
      In this section, you will find the most recent changes sorted by build.
      Patch 7.3 Build 24853 Patch 7.3 Build 24727  Patch 7.3 Build 24651 Patch 7.3 Build 24608 // Feral Druid // Frost DK & Mage Changes Patch 7.3: Upcoming Frost Death Knight Changes Patch 7.3 Build 24539 // Patch 7.3 Feral Druid Changes Patch 7.3.0 Build 24500 Patch 7.3.0 Build 24473 Dev Notes
      Blizzard usually posts on the official forums once a new PTR build is deployed to test realms, giving an overview of new features that become available for testing.
      Build 24829 Build 24608 Build 24539 Build 24500 Build 24473 Artifact Power & Advancement
      In Patch 7.3, you will be able to unlock the Netherlight Crucible, a new way of Artifact customization via relics.
      Artifact Knowledge Changes The Netherlight Crucible (Extended Preview) (Build 24700) The Netherlight Crucible Clarifications (Official) The Netherlight Crucible Early Preview (Build 24608) Antorus the Burning Throne
      The new raid is currently tested on PTR and will be available in Patch 7.3.5.
      Antorus, the Burning Throne Raid Preview (Build 24473) Antorus Raid Rewards Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 1 Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 2 Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 3 *new* Antorus & The Pantheon Legion Ending & Next Expansion Leaks New Creature Models (Antorus Bosses, Titans, Lore Characters) (Build 24473) Tier 21 Sets
      In Antorus, you will find Tier 21 Sets dropping from the bosses.
      Tier 21 Sets Preview (Normal Tints) // Mythic Tints Tier 21 Death Knight (Build 24608) Tier 21 Druid (Build 24500) Tier 21 Mage (Build 24651) Tier 21 Monk (Build 24539) Tier 21 Paladin (Build 24539) Tier 21 Priest (Build 24500) Tier 21 Rogue (Build 24539) Tier 21 Warlock (24651) Argus & Gameplay Videos
      Argus is a new planet that has three zones. Krokuun, Mac'Aree and Antoran Wastes. In the following articles, you will find detailed information about all the different zones.
      How to Get to Argus (Intro) Vindicaar Matrix Core Powers & Assessment Argus Gameplay Part 1 (up to Krokuun) (Build 24473) Argus Gameplay Part 2 (End of Chapter 1) (Build 24500) Argus Gameplay Part 3 (Mac'Aree) (Build 24539) New Factions
      Two new factions have been added to the game in Patch 7.3.
      Argussian Reach (Faction) Preview Army of Light Faction Preview Weapons of the Lightforged (Build 24473) Gearing & Alts
      All useful information in terms of gearing and alts.
      Reputation Catch-up & New Heirloom Amulet *new* Unsullied & Confiscated Gear *new* Veiled Argunite & New Gear Tokens Invasion Points
      A new type of repeatable content, aka scenarios with different stages with the goal to defeat a boss at the end.
      Invasion Points // "Lesser & Greater Rifts" Coming to WoW Invasion Point: Blood (Build 24539) Invasion Point: Ice (Build 24539) Seat of the Triumvirate
      A new five-player dungeon located in Mac'Aree (Argus)
      Seat of the Triumvirate (Dungeon) (Build 24608) New Transmog Items (Build 24500) Missions
      New Champion Equipment & Missions Mounts
      New Mounts (Build 24473) Lightforged Golem Mount Shackled Ur'zul (Mythic Argus Mount) Pets
      New Tameable Hunter Pets (Build 24781) New Pets (Build 24473) New Pets (Build 24853) Professions
      New Profession Updates (Build 24473) // The Future of Obliterum World Bosses
      New World Bosses (Build 24473) New Caster Animations
      In Patch 7.3, several caster Classes received updates to their animations.
      Official Preview Druid, Mage, Shaman Animations (Build 24473) Priest Animations (Build 24473) Restoration Shaman Animations (Build 24500)
    • By Stan

The third 7.3 PTR build this week indicates that 7.3 development is nearly done. This time, we're getting a lot of spec aura updates.
      Death Knight
      Frost Death Knight - Spec Aura down to 23% (from 30%). Unholy Death Knight - Spec Aura down to 5% (from 8%). Hunter
      Beast Mastery Hunter - Spec Aura down to 6% (from 10%). Survival Hunter - Spec Aura down to 7% (from 10%). Monk
      Windwalker Monk - Spec Aura down to 0% (from 5%). Rogue
      Assassination Rogue - Spec Aura down to 22% (from 28%). Outlaw Rogue - Spec Aura down to 0% (from 4%). Talents
      Thief's Bargain - The cooldown of your Vanish spell is reduced by 45 60 sec. Your damage is increased by 10%, but your maximum health is reduced by 15%. Shaman
      Enhancement Shaman - Spec Aura down to 10% (from 13%). Abilities
      Earth Shock - Instantly shocks the target with concussive force, causing up to [ 1,230% 1,300% of Spell Power ] Nature damage based on Maelstrom spent.
    • By Stan

A look at the remaining battle pets added in Patch 7.3.
      Raiding with Leashes V: Cuteaclysm is coming and we did a preview of all new pets obtainabable from Cataclysm raids here. In another article we looked at Naxxy and Model D1-BB-L3R. Now's time to explore the rest of the pets added in Patch 7.3.
      Achievements
      Felclaw Marsuul from Family Fighter.
      Argus Zones
      Antoran Wastes
      Antoran Bile Larva Antoran Bilescourge Cross Gazer from A Pile of Intact Demon Eyes Rebellious Imp Uuna (cannot battle)
      Mac'Aree
      Arcane Gorger Felcrazed Wyrm Grasping Manifestation Pygmy Marsuul Skyfin Juvenile Void Shardling Voidstalker Runt Warpstalker Runt
      Krokuun
      Bile Larva Bilescourge Flickering Argunite
      Egg (from Fel-Spotted Egg (5 days hatch time)
      Docile Skyfin  Fel-Afflicted Skyfin
      N/A
      Golden Retriever (Source: PH)
      Professions
      Fel Lasher (Herbalism) Fossorial Bile Larva (Skinning) Ghost Shark (Fishing)
      Orphaned Marsuul (Argussian Reach Honored)
      Winter Veil
      Globe Yeti
    • By Stan

Two weeks ago, Blizzard started the PvP Like a Pro series, where they talk to world best Arena players. The first part was about finding the right partners and the second discussed team composition. Part 3 is devoted to effective practicing.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Part 3 - Practicing Effectively
      Minpojke of team Northern Gaming Blue has achieved rank one in Arena every season since 2011. His current squad has been playing together for more than two years, and came third in the Global Finals at BlizzCon 2016. With his help, we’ve built a five-step guide to help you practice like a pro!
      Synergy - Align Your Team
      Before setting out on your quest to the top, make sure you’re “aligned as a team,” says Minpojke. Like in any group activity, “it’s very important that everyone has the same goals and the same drive to do what it takes to win.” Make sure your team shares similar ambitions, and is aligned on how much effort will be required to achieve them. And of course, make sure you have similar gaming schedules so you can play and practice together!
      Atmosphere - Stay Positive
      It’s important to have a good atmosphere while playing. Minpojke says, “If you and your group get along and even become friends, you’ll like playing and actually learn more as well.” Be sure that the mood stays positive so that you can enjoy competing and improving together. It’s much easier to keep a team motivated if you’re all having fun—it’s a game after all!
      Stated more simply, Minpojke says, “It’s easy to win as a team—in the sense that it’s easy to be happy and celebrate—but if you’re capable of losing together, then you’ll be a great team.”
      Strategy - Know the Meta
      When it comes to making practice effective, Minpojke feels it’s a priority to stay up to date with the current meta. He told us that the best way to do this is to follow tournaments, high-level Arena streams, and the PvP Leaderboards to see which classes are on top.
      “It’s quite easy to keep up with the meta. Watch streams to see what the pros are playing, and track the ladder to see which classes and compositions are at the top. And don’t forget to follow tournaments to see the best comps shine.” Once you’re confident in what you want to play, it’s time to queue up! As FabsS discussed in our previous interview, Minpojke says that it’s important to set your win condition before the gates open. “Ask what you want to achieve as a team; will you focus on a lot of CC or try to draw out the game longer?” Since you know what matchup you’ll be playing against, you can start to ask these questions and develop your strategy.
      Analysis - Review Your Games
      If your setup supports it, Minpojke recommends recording as many sessions as you can—they’re much more valuable then looking at a damage meter. He says that the first objective is to see if you followed your game plan. Did you stick to it? Did it work? If the answer to either of these questions is no, you need to work on executing the plan better in future or possibly changing it up all together.
      Watching your own recordings is also a chance to highlight individual mistakes. As Minpojke says, “Always stay self-critical, and always look for ways to improve—you’ll notice pretty quickly your most crucial and common mistakes.” While Minpojke emphasizes that “losing is arguably the best way of learning,” he also reminded us that “it’s very important to recognize when you do well.” Think positively here: no one can play the perfect game, but there are often good takeaways to be emulated going forward.
      Reviewing recordings of his gameplay is a regular part of Minpojke’s routine, as well as discussing previous matches with his team between games while queueing. You can learn from a win as well as a loss!
      Execute - Implement Your Analysis
      After watching the replays, it’s time to set your goals. Decide what you want to focus on, and “make plans before you queue for a session.” If there was a specific matchup you were struggling with, you can discuss plans for how you’ll react to it next time.
      In some instances, it could be worth writing some notes, especially if you have many things to focus on versus many compositions. Minpojke equated it to studying for a test, “Practice it, and read it over and over until it sticks in your head.”
      Minpojke attended his first BlizzCon with current teammate Zunniyaki in 2013, finishing in second place. Northern Gaming Blue are the defending European Champions, and with nine BlizzCon appearances between their players, they’re one of the most experienced rosters in the field.
      You can watch Minpojke and Northern Gaming Blue compete live at gamescom from August 23-26. For the full details on when and where you can watch, head on over to our European Championship Finals blog.