FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Esploratore

Frost dk tier set problem

Hi, I'm having a problem now: in 915 item level with old heroic tier pieces (from nighthold) I'm doing a bit more dps on a dummy than I can do in 922 item level and new heroic tier pieces (tomb), now I knew the new set bonus would've been worse cause old one was really great to keep breath up and with the additional runic power it helped to not get rune or rp starved.

But I didn't think it went to the extent that the old 4x is superior to the new 4x despite a loss of 7 item levels!

The new one seems very weak looking at it to be honest, it only increases a bit the damage increase % of pillar of frost and makes it last a bit longer, and I'm really lacking resources with it, and consequently I can't keep a sustained higher dps than I could with old one.

I hope I'm wrong, but I need an answer here, is it really that bad that I either have to keep the old set forever or go unholy?

If not, should I change some talents with the new set, that would maybe make it more suitable? Atm I'm using the classic breath build, no different talent, and since I have the legendary helm, if there was any doubt, I'm using freezing fog on that tier.

I generally dont have issues with Breath with the new 4 set, when I do Breath it doesnt last as long as it used to but it does more damage thinks to pillar lasting a little longer and the bracers. I would suggest you replace the helm with the bracers or the HRW ring. The legendary helm isnt really that great anymore. The bracers make the new 4 set stronger and the HRW ring is pretty much mandatory for BoS

Right now Frost is in a tough spot, ToS isnt that great since there's alot of movement for bosses and BoS isnt that great for it. Unholy will do better in that case and they do have the better set bonuses.

Frost is getting an overhaul in 7.3 though so keep that in mind. Hopefully, with the changes we don't have to rely on just BoS and can have a build thats more movement friendly.

Edited by alleraz

4 hours ago, alleraz said:

Frost is getting an overhaul in 7.3 though so keep that in mind. Hopefully, with the changes we don't have to rely on just BoS and can have a build thats more movement friendly.

This is key at the moment,

OP if you can do so get on the PTR and test your talents/gear options with the new changes.

You'll find that each of the many viable builds can target specific legendarys... especially if you're thinking .. oh man, I have 3 x blast radius + helm.. but it's now terrible. Well, no it can be accommodated to to an extent and you'll find that the new tier (Argus) although subject to change is focused on a flat 15% boost to HB and Obliterate which is very good for the Rime builds too.

It's true that breath can sometimes give issues in tomb with movement bosses, mistress is the most evident I'd say, so ofc unholy doesn't have that vulnerability, but what's important to note here is I'm doing my tests in a quiet place, silvermoon's single target dummy, and there I can't keep up with the old set using new ones due to lack of runes in a 4 min test.

I know frost is getting an overhaul in 7.3, but I'm worried about the relative performance of the sets, if I keep getting that much lack of runes with new set, I'm still gonna do more dps with nighthold set than tomb in 7.3, it will just be a bit higher than now.

I can obviously check if it goes any better with wrist + seal instead of helm and seal, but none of you is a bit rune\rp starved with new set compared to old one?

That's really what's making it worse than nighthold set for me I feel, too much downtime.

57 minutes ago, Esploratore said:

It's true that breath can sometimes give issues in tomb with movement bosses, mistress is the most evident I'd say, so ofc unholy doesn't have that vulnerability, but what's important to note here is I'm doing my tests in a quiet place, silvermoon's single target dummy, and there I can't keep up with the old set using new ones due to lack of runes in a 4 min test.

I know frost is getting an overhaul in 7.3, but I'm worried about the relative performance of the sets, if I keep getting that much lack of runes with new set, I'm still gonna do more dps with nighthold set than tomb in 7.3, it will just be a bit higher than now.

I can obviously check if it goes any better with wrist + seal instead of helm and seal, but none of you is a bit rune\rp starved with new set compared to old one?

That's really what's making it worse than nighthold set for me I feel, too much downtime.

The teir gear in 7.3 so far is looking better than tomb gear and with the overhaul you might not need so much rune/rp since different builds could be viable. The helm as it is right now is lower then the bracers,belt, and ring but that could change in 7.3.

As far as being runic starved it does seem to happen more often than the old set but the bracers do offset that considering it buffs the teir set but in my test it wasnt that bad considering they did nerf the T19 4 set piece a little bit.