FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Karayan7

RNG Hell...

Spent more than 2 hours playing my favorite druid deck,trying to climb a little bit from rank 14.Then the RNG demon (who seems to be madly in love with me) made me lose 8 (!) consecutive games.I mean,ok,i am not the pro player who has answers for everything in his deck,but if i can't win against a warlock with 1 HP (mine is 26) then i shouldn't be playing at all.Terribly disappointed after hours of play and money spent,i even consider about sending everything to hell.The RNG hell...

P.S. Here is the last replay against the ridiculous warlock...

https://hsreplay.net/replay/dKGwA8cB5Z2TKvFpQu2jed

6 hours ago, Karayan7 said:

Spent more than 2 hours playing my favorite druid deck,trying to climb a little bit from rank 14.Then the RNG demon (who seems to be madly in love with me) made me lose 8 (!) consecutive games.I mean,ok,i am not the pro player who has answers for everything in his deck,but if i can't win against a warlock with 1 HP (mine is 26) then i shouldn't be playing at all.Terribly disappointed after hours of play and money spent,i even consider about sending everything to hell.The RNG hell...

P.S. Here is the last replay against the ridiculous warlock...

https://hsreplay.net/replay/dKGwA8cB5Z2TKvFpQu2jed

That game had nothing to do with rng.  He did get lucky with the SW:P and the lich King, but you played the match up poorly.  Jade druid is a tempo deck, you should almost never shuffle your first idol, and sometimes not even your second.  There were a few other questionable decisions but your biggest mistake was not using ultimate infestation on his face.  In other words, you missed lethal.

2 hours ago, VaraTreledees said:

That game had nothing to do with rng.  He did get lucky with the SW:P and the lich King, but you played the match up poorly.  Jade druid is a tempo deck, you should almost never shuffle your first idol, and sometimes not even your second.  There were a few other questionable decisions but your biggest mistake was not using ultimate infestation on his face.  In other words, you missed lethal.

Making bad decisions is something usual in my game,still trying to learn from them.But come on,that is ridiculous!Unfortunately i can't show replays from games against aggro hunter where none of 2 Swipes came along,against paladins where Aya or Drake never showed up and generally every draw was useless or worse.

Evidently i make poor choices as a new player but also undeniably with better draws and mulligans my results would be better.That's a simple statement,not a complaint or nag.If someone has suffered so many losses by making correct in-game choices ,then i guess i am an alien! 

I get these streaks too sometimes.

Lost 6 games in a row - the next day I won the next 13 games in a row.

Chances of getting one or two specific cards are quite low btw. If you have 24 cards in your deck remaining, chances of getting swipe are just 2:24.

The nex turn your chances are 2:23. Then 2:22.

Chances of not getting Swipe in these 3 turns combined are 22/24 * 21/23 * 20/22 = 76%

In this example you are waiting 3 turns for swipe, without luck - but in 3 out of 4 cases you just won't get it.

(And 3 turns not getting a needed card feel like eternity)

28 minutes ago, WedgeAntilles said:

Lost 6 games in a row - the next day I won the next 13 games in a row

Nice!But only in my dreams i can win 13 times in a row!Anyway, after every good beating comes a very good lesson so i guess i have to learn even more.It just hurts that i needed only one win to climb to Rank 13 and instead of that i got my face squashed 8 times in a row and back to 15!Cheerz!

5 hours ago, Karayan7 said:

Making bad decisions is something usual in my game,still trying to learn from them.But come on,that is ridiculous!Unfortunately i can't show replays from games against aggro hunter where none of 2 Swipes came along,against paladins where Aya or Drake never showed up and generally every draw was useless or worse.

Evidently i make poor choices as a new player but also undeniably with better draws and mulligans my results would be better.That's a simple statement,not a complaint or nag.If someone has suffered so many losses by making correct in-game choices ,then i guess i am an alien! 

While it is true that you will lose some games due to bad draws or bad match ups, a very important skill in this game is you need to be able to realize when the match up was lost due to rng and when it was lost because of a mistake you made.  Like the replay earlier, he had 1 life, and you used ultimate infestation on a minion, that damage can go face.  On the other hand, if you are playing face hunter as jade druid and you don't draw your swipes or your spreading plagues, then that was *probably* bad rng (even games where you have lousy rng can be winnable).  Another equally important skill is learning to not be results oriented.  This is simple in theory but can be quite hard in practice.  Sometimes the play that lost you the game is the correct one, and sometimes the play that wins you the game was bad.  An easy example would be using your last jade idol vs a warlock deck.  If creating a giant jade with it more or less secures your victory, baring say a twisting nether, then it will generally be the correct play to create the jade (this is largely due to very few warlock decks actually running it now).  Now if the warlock has twisting nether in his hand and plays it, and you lose the game, it doesn't mean that you played badly, you were just playing the odds and lost.  Once you have a good grasp on how to look objectively at your replays, you can learn a lot more from them, and is generally a very important skill to improving.

Edited by VaraTreledees
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well,after all what is the reason of the forum's existence,if not to discuss,exchange opinions and improve whatever process the forum is about.Since i got here i learned many new things,concepts of the game completely unknown to me.So hopefully by doing this (discussing and trying) the results will eventually come.Thank you for all the support!

• Like 1

I didn't have many bad experiences with RNG for a while but what makes me a bit sad lately is that the games become more and more a battle of huge/many Legends. So, many of my last games (won and lost games) were not about luck or playing well, but more about having the big impact legends. After a few such games it becomes quite boring. 

I just watched a few vids of games when I started with HS when I had only basic and a few classic cards and my opponents as well and I remember those games were more fun in some way.

Edited by Caldyrvan

16 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

the games become more and more a battle of huge/many Legends

Unfortunately i play the game for so short time that i can't compare competitive gameplay between now and some expansions ago (i think i started when blackrock was around and after naxxramas).What i have understood though is that players have to learn a more technical game.As far as i am concerned this is not a negative aspect but it all changes when average-normal-F2P players try to use mechanics and combinations they are not used to.

What i mean is not everybody can play maybe correctly the Lifesteal characteristic or properly use some druid properties,so it's easy to rely on big cards and make them the centerpiece of every deck.Can you blame the players though?it's the trend of the moment and i think it will get more technical in time!

The game is already hugely technical.  Playing well is very difficult for quite a few decks.  Kazamakus priest (especially the cycle heavy version) and miracle rogue are both strong decks and almost impossible to pilot correctly.  Like, I am reasonably confident in my miracle play, and I can make it pretty close to legend (ranks 2-4ish generally before I get bored/run out of time) in almost any meta with the deck, yet I probably only make the correct play around 90% of the time, maybe a little less.  That is an astounding number of mistakes.  If you ever watch pro players who play miracle on stream, they often make small mistakes here and their.  Even decks like pirate warrior and jade druid have quite a large amount of technical play involved in piloting them.  The decks that tend to be much less technically demanding are decks like mid range murloc paladin, old secret paladin and mid range shaman in the kara meta.  Decks who's goal is to play curve stone and take value trades.  They tend to have far fewer actual decisions to make and the difference between an experienced and a relatively new player to the archetype is pretty small.  Where as pirate warriors have to think ahead and make sure they set up for the next turn, like making sure they have an efficient way to deal with jade behemoth going into druids turn 6 for instance, and jade druids just tend to have a lot of options and micro decisions to make throughout the game. 

I agree with you and ofc you have to play well and that's not as easy as it seems sometimes, but in the end you have to play either curve stone decks (despite their effectiveness they are very dull imo) or one that relies heavily on their epics and legends. I simply don't like the evolution here. You need so many expensive cards. When you look at a deck and you say "Oh I miss half of the legends for that deck" means you miss half the cards of the deck (yes I'm exaggerating) is pretty sad.

I know there are a lot of players who have no problems there because they play since release or do not care about spending tons of dollars/euros but for everyone else it means you may need more time to gather the resources for a deck than it will be viable in standard.

Edited by Caldyrvan

3 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

I agree with you and ofc you have to play well and that's not as easy as it seems sometimes, but in the end you have to play either curve stone decks (despite their effectiveness they are very dull imo) or one that relies heavily on their epics and legends. I simply don't like the evolution here. You need so many expensive cards. When you look at a deck and you say "Oh I miss half of the legends for that deck" means you miss half the cards of the deck (yes I'm exaggerating) is pretty sad.

I know there are a lot of players who have no problems there because they play since release or do not care about spending tons of dollars/euros but for everyone else it means you may need more time to gather the resources for a deck than it will be viable in standard.

Practically you mention what i said a few weeks ago when i joined this community, that this game is very much money-related and weaker financially players cannot aspire to a level of gameplay similar to the paying players.This,combined to the aforementioned technicality of the game means "squeeze your brains AND your pockets hard if you want to play hard!" 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karayan7 said:

Practically you mention what i said a few weeks ago when i joined this community, that this game is very much money-related and weaker financially players cannot aspire to a level of gameplay similar to the paying players.This,combined to the aforementioned technicality of the game means "squeeze your brains AND your pockets hard if you want to play hard!" 

It depends on your goals in the game.  If it's just to have fun, that is far easier than reaching Legend rank each month.  Most of the decks I play are "fun" decks, and average 1-2 legendary cards per (some have none).  Certainly not ones that will break the bank.  Sometimes I win, and sometimes I lose and I find myself in the ranks between 20 and 11 normally.  That doesn't mean I am making terrible in-game decisions on a regular basis, one can play well and still not win all the time. If you aren't overly concerned with rank, this game can be a lot of fun on a small budget.

But if getting as high a rank is what is important and fun for you, then yes, how much money and/or time you put into the game is the deciding factor on how well you do.  But that's pretty much true for most games out there, it's not unique to HS at all.

• Like 2

I like your point. I lost interest on ladder mostly since quests arrived :D Just a huge personal dislike to this idiotic mechanic no matter if I win against it or not.

It was strange this month.

I reached rank 10 fairly easily.

And then I was stuck. I tried it on 4 or 5 different days, I totally sucked. Something like 0:5, 1:6, 0:4, then I got to rank 9 with 5:2 - and lost the next 4 games again.

Overal something like 5:25 or even worse. I lost against every deck. Highlander Priest. Aggro Decks. Another Jade-Druid. Mage. Didn't matter, I lost every one.

And then yesterday - after several days not playing - I got from rank 10 to rank 5 in one go, with just 3 losses in between. Won the first 10 games in a row or something like that.

Same deck. No changes.

Weired...

4 hours ago, WedgeAntilles said:

And then I was stuck. I tried it on 4 or 5 different days, I totally sucked. Something like 0:5, 1:6, 0:4, then I got to rank 9 with 5:2 - and lost the next 4 games again.

Overal something like 5:25 or even worse. I lost against every deck. Highlander Priest. Aggro Decks. Another Jade-Druid. Mage. Didn't matter, I lost every one.

And then yesterday - after several days not playing - I got from rank 10 to rank 5 in one go, with just 3 losses in between. Won the first 10 games in a row or something like that.

Same deck. No changes.

Weired...

Same weirdness going on here.After a very bad streak some days ago i have reached R14 now quite easily and the 2 losses were after ridiculous errors made by haste.It's also strange that the same decks that smorced your derriere days ago,now concede easily after 7 rounds...Everything is possible in HS ladder! 

On 9/14/2017 at 8:17 AM, WedgeAntilles said:

Same deck. No changes.

Weired...

It depends on a lot of factors.  At certain times there are higher concentration of good players trying to climb, on top of probably being a little on tilt for losing so much, so you probably played a little worse then you normally do.