Swerrve

BM DPS going downhill?

7 posts in this topic

Okay, stop me if you've heard this one before...  Actually, please don't!  I'd love a little insight as someone new to Wow, PUG'ing through Heroic ToS.

Here's my BM: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/dalaran/swerrve  I usually swap leggos btwn Roar, Prydaz and Roots. Also have Sephuz sitting around. Have full T20, between 900-915 on each piece.

Tinkering between stomp and DF, I'm just beginning to adjust to the latter. Got auras, and working on keeping stacks up.

The thing that's bothering me is I'm ocassionally doing 65-75% of my DPS sims, and I swear I started dropping DPS at a recent point in gearing up and playing w/specs.  

I know my opening rotations, my consumables, etc.  For the most part, I'm stacking DF and trying not to starve/cap focus. I do my best to dump-cast during BW, but I don't go seriously out of my way to do so.  I'm certain I'm ignoring some important interactions btwn spells...

It's not unusual for me to run around like a headless chicken trying to survive, especially in Heroic, so I know my mechanics need to improve.

So, do I just need to get good?  See anything beyond mechanics and rotations that I can clean up?  Maybe I just need to step back from the sim #s and breathe?  Again, I'm not worried about being top deeps, (and I won't be, considering my gear).  It's just.... THE GAP in #s!  What am I missing?

P.S.  My goal is simply to pull better DPS weight on Heroic Avatar/Kil'J.  Maybe the sims are misleading me to think that I'm ready for that?

Thanks for the feedback!

In all honesty, it just seems like you're barely making use of the Killer Cobra talent. I checked my logs against yours and I use the Aspect of the Beast build with stomp (minus leggo boots) and in the same length of time I can use Kill Command more times without ever gaining the CD reset than you can with the reset. You need to pool your focus leading up to Bestial Wrath and make sure you're sitting there spamming Cobra Shot and Kill Command 1 2 1 2 1 2 and popping Dire Frenzy whenever you can. Try and save up 2 stacks of it if possible before hitting BW though, especially before aspect too.

If you can, hit Dire Frenzy with 2 stacks, wait 5-6 seconds then hit it again, then another 5-6 seconds and it should allow you to hit it a 3rd time on reset to get up to 3 stacks during BW. That would really help with your dps.

You're just not getting in anywhere near enough casts - you need to be making your BW windows a lot more effective.

• Like 1

Awesome. That make sense. And it's a nuance I wouldn't have picked up. With all my mental focus on stacking dire - Something I hadn't even tried before this week -  I wasn't paying much attention to KC or CS. 

In fact, now that you mention it, I seem to remember having a relic that reduced focus of Cobra Shot? So, maybe that was the swing in mechanics I'm experiencing. Going from spamming it, to being a lot more judicious w/it as I more closely managed DF. 

Will shift that play style and see what happens. 

Thanks for the quick review!

P.S. As someone who just started raiding midway through Legion, what's a reasonable  % of my sim that I should be reaching? 

Are sim #s realistically achievable, or are they so refined that they're hard for the average player to ever match? 

To put it bluntly, DF means almost nothing in comparison to optimising your BW window to use Killer Cobra effectively. 

Yes it's important, but getting the most amount of Kill Command's off is essential. Just do your best to watch how long BW has left, try to pool as much focus as you can as well as 2 charges before it or time it so you can have 3 stacks at some point during BW, and then spend the whole time spamming between Kill Command and Cobra shot. You should see some massive improvements straight away.

In regards to sims, it depends on the fight. Sims are normally based on a Patchwerk fight where you have no mechanics and just stand there dps'ing like crazy. BM is very forgiving in terms of mechanics, as we're a ranged class with 100% mobility, however focusing on moving to counter a mechanic can be a major thorn in your side if you're not playing based solely on muscle memory. I've been raiding on and off for about 9 years so I'm pretty decent with my hunter, so mechanics aren't an issue for me.

Realistically, as long as you're doing the mechanics that's your biggest concern, especially if you join a mythic team, but maximising your dps is something you should spend quite a lot of time on. However, you should be at least hitting 80-90% of your sim dps on pure ST, however any adds or changes in the boss can drastically reduce that. E.g. intermission phases in Kil'jaeden or adds in Harjatan. 

Just sit there on the target dummies and practise - also go to Argus and try moving around while dps'ing the rares, you'll be able to get some practise in that way.

Huge thanks Luthixx. I really appreciate the detail and clarity in your response. Looking forward to putting it into practice.

On 9/4/2017 at 11:17 AM, thunderwhalepicnic said:

What a swell forum thread. 

I thought so!

By making better use of BW and specifically by spamming CS and KC during its entirety I'm jumping anywhere from 100-250k DPS.

Honestly, I didn't even realize the interaction between CS and KC during BW. I thought it was an RPG proc. Didn't know you could maximize it even half as much as is truly possible.

Now just need to clean up technique and mechanics, but feeling like I'm in a *much* better place.

Edited by Swerrve