Vigan20

Low frost mage dps

Sign in to follow this  

6 posts in this topic

Hey, I've been wondering why my dps is low for an ilvl 530 mage. I tried arcane, and I was reaching maximum 100k dps (sustained) and I was constantly being kicked off raids for being the lowest dps. This is very annoying as my gear is too good for my dps. I always thought it was my rotation but my rotation is fine, after learning on here. Anyway, I tried focusing on haste and it improved my dps quite alot (20k) but it is still low. Any ideas? My armoury:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormscale/Vigun/simple

Hi there,

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on Mages because I'm not! But there are a couple of things I've noticed!

1. Get 15% hit cap, this is essential, you'll be losing a lot of DPS through missing attacks!
  2. Your trinkets are pretty much useless in Frost, from what I remember, you get almost guaranteed critical strikes from your procs so extra crit is just a waste!

Have you considered trying Fire? I know it's very stat orientated but with the end game tier currently available, surely it's better than Frost?

Especially with those trinkets, I would try out Fire, it's a little more to manage than Frost but it's not difficult by a long way! Give it a go:)

Get rid of UVLS trinket ASAP!  It's terrible for every mage spec.

Don't go fire, you don't have the gear for it.

Re-read the section on rotations for your spec, virtually every dps problem is a rotation/priority issue.

Do not use Frost Bomb, use Nether Tempest for multi-target situations or Living Bomb for single target.

Post some logs so we can see what you're doing and then we can provide some detailed analysis.

• Like 4

There is an add-on I found I particularly like called We Don't Wipe. You have to download the rotations separate from the add-on itself, and not all rotations are covered. However, it doesn't seem too tough to set up if you wish to customize it. I recently was having a hard time cracking 100K dps, and with a series of new items and using this add-on, I am regularly popping 150K (highest has been 182K) damage. I do Frost, and there is great rotation set up for that. The best part is to remind me to drop the dots back on and renew my damage buff. That makes a HUGE difference.