FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
lordarcon

Tank Viability in Antorus

On the fence as to what tank I'm bringing into Antorus; wanted a possible intelligent debate on the top tier tanks going forward.

BrewMaster - it's still brew-master, a solid tank all around. New tier looks like it was just tossed in there for lack of a better thing to do. Breath of fire is pretty low on the 'priority' rotation list and anyone mythic raiding will already have a near 100% uptime of Gifted Student anyways. Everything about it seems meh.

DH: Don't know a lot about them - tier looks very strong, but I worry they fall into the Pally 'one shot' bracket.

DK: Look strong, very strong.

Bear: Strong and boring as usual.

Warriors: Mediocre as usual, tier isn't helping.

Pally: Not sure, I gravitate away from Pally.

if no change is made to tanks, i don't expect the tank ranking to change much, given the tank 'tiers' are already very discernable.

Monks will stay at the top, with bears and dk being a bit more situational. The others are so far behind i don't see how tiers sets would change it imo (all this being said seeing who tanks with what, i have not much experience with other tanks than dk and druid, so i'd love to be mistaken really)

On 16.9.2017 at 0:18 PM, Blainie said:

I just remember seeing this on Reddit 2-3 weeks ago. If Antorus looks like this too...

LfcscmO.png

I don't think the balancing of tanks is that bad as it seems to be. Of course, if you are a progress mythic raider you try to make it as easy as possible, even if there is a small gap between classes. As genbag already stated, the choice of a bear-tank has to do with mechanics of KJ, where a bear brings a rather big benefit than any other tanking-class. And due to the fact that bear is still a very good choice in survivability/tanking too...why should you pick another one?

Then there is a second reason: Bear was on top since...since Blizzard nerfed ignore pain from prot-warriors...so basically after 2 weeks of opening emerald nightmare. There hasn't been any reason to switch the class, even if other tanks got buffed. Many of top-guilds switched to bear/bear (or at least bear / x) in ToV and kept raiding with this composition.

In my view (as a barely-mythic-raider), all tanks are absolutely viable. I enoy to play my prot-warrior and i will keep playing as long as fights aren't impossible to tank with it.

Even on mythic, if you're not looking for world firsts, dk/monk are totally fine (even better in a lot of cases), and even other 'weaker' tanks, like paladins (i won't talk about warriors and DHs hm hm ...) can do fine (maybe not on the last three though, but i don't know).

As stated, bears are the only ones that are good since the beginning of legion, while bdk was shit at the beginning, ans same for monks. With that in mind, i think we have to wait a bit more, some nerfs will come, and more guild will try on kj mm, and then we will have a really useful chart, because right now, a lot of guilds are on lower bosses, giving us only 'top' guilds trying on it, and so of course, then ones that are the most optimized, and most likely have raided the longest in legion.

To answer the base question, if you're not into world firsts, every tank works very well. If you want a comfortable experience, and something a bit more optimized than your baseline tank, go for bdk/monk (or druid, but it's fucking boring, really, very much).

Pals will still have that all-the-time-under-defensive-cd-or-die problem

DHs will still have that i'm-made-out-of-cardboard-but-i-dps problem

Warriors will still have that magic-damage-oh-well-lets-die-then problem.

Edited by genbag
hey let's answer the question
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2017 at 9:09 AM, genbag said:

To answer the base question, if you're not into world firsts, every tank works very well. If you want a comfortable experience, and something a bit more optimized than your baseline tank, go for bdk/monk (or druid, but it's fucking boring, really, very much).

For sure, I agree. I just am praying there won't be such an insane amount of pressure to play certain tanks in guilds that are trying to push Mythics and such. Our raid leader made both tanks roll druid from DH and Paladin.

3 hours ago, Bastione said:

Is prot pally that bad?

It seems I have chosen the wrong time to start tanking....

As I said, if you're not looking for world firsts, any tank will perform very well.

Yes there are suboptimal tanks, but even at rather high level, you'll find people who do very well without being totally """optimized""".

Ishnu'alah weary travelers.

I dips Monk and DK.
I'm totally with you in bears are boring...! 
So I'm going for the safe Monk and the amazing healing on DKs, changing in-between after what we need for progressing. 

Edited by Dabria