FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
freeze

920frost mage low dps

I've been gearing my frost mage of late and feel that my dps is not at par to my ilvl in raids. dont have any problems in m+ probably due to short duration of the fights.

my mage- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Freezenrun/simple

my mage's logs - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/15605629/13#metric=dps

appreciate any help on improving my rotation to increase my dps.

It looks like having the fire mage legendary isn't helping and not having your 4 set from tomb is going to hurt damage a lot. If you're not pre-positioning during heavy movement fights, you will lose chances to gain procs of brain freeze and fingers of frost from casting frostbolt. The other thing to try, and this is where you have to just learn by trial, not munching procs of fingers of frost and brain freeze (doing something that could cause you to get another proc but you can't because you are maxed on procs). Your opener will also do a lot for dps. Flask and rune before fight (coordinate with group about use of your time warp), pot at about 5 seconds on the pull timer, at around 2 seconds on pull timer you should be casting Ebonbolt and then you should pop Icy veins and then flurry and instantly throw an ice lance (it won't need a proc because of the effect of brain freeze freezing the target), cast your frozen orb and drop a blizzard on the target then use your procs of ice lance until you can drop the second blizzard (this would be an effect of the 4 piece from tomb, blizzard reduces the cooldown of frozen orb), then just frostbolt to fill in dead time and hope for brain freeze or ice lance procs until you can use frozen orb, icy veins, and ebonbolt. Also always ice lance after a brain freeze proc'd flurry because the target will be considered frozen. If mechanics are done wrong and you have to move a lot, you will just fall in dps as that is the nature of the class. You should try to move when you have brain freeze and frost finger procs as they are instant and you won't lose out on much dps when moving if you have those while you move, but sometimes that just isn't an option. Mechanics over all else because a dead dps does no dps. So work on getting your 4 piece and another frost mage legendary ( Shard of the Exodar, Magtheridon's Banished Bracers, and Soul of the Archmage are preferable to go with your Lady Vashj's Grasp) and just become more intimate with the rotation and the fights. And balancing your stats will go a long way. That is currently my issue with my mage is not having the right balance of stats. Your mastery is your least prioritized stat and you should be going for more haste. Your crit is right where it needs to be.

Edited by KrewSlayer
Spelling

@KrewSlayer thank you for comments and breakdown on the spell rotation. i haven't had much luck with legendary yet , i have replaced the fire belt with norganons (not a big difference). i'll work towards getting the 4pc done and hope for some better legos.

@freeze if you want, i could add you on bnet and i could help with your rotation in person

Edited by szerspliexiust
i dont really have conclusive evidence to back up a statement i made

On 9/17/2017 at 10:13 PM, KrewSlayer said:

With so much mastery, you could also try talenting Glacial Spike and see if you get better dps from that build which would make Shattered Fragments of Sindragosa a good option as well.

i will try it. i had started out with spike but switched to thermal void after i got the lego glove. i'll try spike again now.

@szerspliexiust i've pm'd you my btag

Edited by freeze

I see that you're talented into Arctic Gale as your Tier 6 talent. You should not be using this talent except MAYBE on Mistress and Harjatan but even for them it's iffy. You really want to use Unstable Magic instead of Arctic Gale for better DPS output. Also since you were talented into Arctic Gale for all encounters, that leads me to believe that you are using Blizzard often. You NEVER want to use Blizzard on any single target encounter. Even if you get the cast-free proc from your frozen orb, you do not want to use it, it ultimately takes away from your rotation and your overall DPS even if it may not seem like it.

A couple other things, I'm not sure what your stats are, but you want to be above 30% Crit, with a "breakpoint" at 33%. Personally, I try to stay between 32-33% because it gives me the most procs, but anything over 30% will do. Besides, this I would recommend just practicing the rotation a lot, it's very simple, pretty much just waiting on a Flurry proc, and then when you get Fingers of Frost procs you want to time it up (if possible) with your Incanter's Flow. 

Besides all of this, my last recommendation would be to stick with Thermal Void, I've found that it does better than Glacial Spike in just about all situations, and especially since you are using the Gloves Legendary, it would be a waste to swap to Glacial Spike. If you were to switch to GS, your gloves would be deemed useless, when currently the gloves are one of the better legendaries a Frost Mage could have. If you have any questions about the rotation or stats just holler, I'm willing to help. Hope this was able to help you a little bit.