Stan

Ana Spotlight

13 posts in this topic

Z3zKl4O.jpg

The official Hero spotlight for Ana has arrived. The Hero can be tested on PTR later today and will go live in a week.

Blizzard just uploaded Ana's spotlight to the official Heroes of the Storm channel.

Ana, Veteran Sniper

As a founding member of Overwatch and one of the world’s best snipers, Ana Amari uses her skills to protect the innocent. Though she went MIA after losing her eye, Ana’s sense of duty and responsibility has brought her back to fight in the Nexus!

Strengths

• Healing throughput
  • Long range
  • Healing negation

Weaknesses

• Self-healing
  • Fragile
  • Mobility

Official Spotlight

Man, she is gonna ROCK in Double Support compositions. I can already see her synergy with the likes of Stukov, Rehgar or Uther. Rather, in my opinion people should start running Full Support compositions (I did it a few times in QM and it was hilarious).

I wish they have added her "Young Ana" skin instead of "Shrike", since it looks so similar to her base skin.

Also, I really hope they add this visual indicator (seen at 1:00) for other Heroes' stacking abilities.

Edited by Valhalen

Nova, mind you, an actual sniper, sucks, since her damage is unreliable and situational. Chromie is a much better sniper, because she has a high learning curve and can kill enemies quickly at long ranges. Ana is the healer equivalent of Nova. Her healing is dependent entirely on skillshots and her CC is reliant on her teammates not waking the enemies up. Her only interesting mechanic is the ability to counter burst healing, which could destroy healers like Auriel and Uther, but isn't very reliable either, since it doesn't effect shields and can only be cast as a small radius AoE spell. Her original ultimate, Nano Boost, is an interesting mechanic and could offer a more mage friendly support role, but at the same time requires you to have a mage for it to work properly. And don't even get me started on how you can use it on an allied healer, like Malfurion. Then there's her new spicy ultimate, The Eye Of Horus. It's bad design. I get that she's supposed to be a veteran sniper, but please don't try to turn a sniper character into an actual camper. It can of course be used at near melee range, but risks Ana getting ambushed by her enemies. And when used at long range, if the damage/healing is skillshot based, it turns into a game of "which one of your enemies or teammates gets CC'd first", which defeats the hole purpose of a reliable healer that has always got you back. If all it takes to play Ana is a quick instinct to run, you'll most likely see her running away at critical moments and leaving her teammates to die even at the slightest risk of danger.

So in conclusion, Eye Of Horus is a completely useless ult and her other ultimate is situational at best. Her overall healing requires great skill, and her only way of CC is useless in teamfights, where even one single hit removes the whole effect. And you can't make a healer character around a grenade, since there already is one, in the form of this monstrosity Clear!Clear!

Edited by Fliits

Her total lack of mobility and self heal (do you really want to burn hard utility in the grenade on yourself every fight) means she will only ever be useful in double support.  I'll be worried if the grenade has the numbers to be both a strong heal, short enough CD, AND reduce the other team. Rehgar and other healers survive on a CD "self" heal, but they have next to zero offensive utility in doing so.

People compare her to Morales of "but she works when in the back and not focused". True, but she is point and click, also huge self heals, and has displacement CC of the opponent that is not required PERFECT coordination with your team. Also, as mentioned, she has one heroic choice. While snipping from a far can be fun and clutch. It's unreliable and the only time it works is when you (or your team) have totally messed up. It saves ganks and punishes complete disrespect for a global, but it leaves you vulnerable (think aba hat style) to where you have to be back at max range, most likely away from your whole team who may need you right when it ends. I want to hope, and love the selective cleanse that you have to react to the opponent comp, but I'm worried she will be broken in double support and worthless solo, leaving Blizzard never able to balance her properly (see LiLi)

I like the theory of her, but it looks like it will be a struggle to find her place.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Laragon said:

I'll be worried if the grenade has the numbers to be both a strong heal, short enough CD, AND reduce the other team

Biotic Grenade has 16 sec CD if I'm not wrong.

Edited by Valhalen

Kinda disappointed with her passive, since it reminds me too much of Lunara. Maybe they'll change it just like they did with Morales (remember how it was the same as Muradin's)

55 minutes ago, Valhalen said:

Biotic Grenade has 16 sec CD if I'm not wrong.

Damn, she has no mobility and can really only use fountains or double support to survive at all. Yikes. Morales at least has self shield.

Edited by Laragon

24 minutes ago, Laragon said:

Damn, she has no mobility and can really only use fountains or double support to survive at all. Yikes. Morales at least has self shield.

Yeah... But given the video emphasis on Ana having "longer range than most Heroes", it appears that her Healing Dart will be a considerable safe move, and it has 2 sec CD with 15 mana cost, meaning it will be quite spammable. That won't solve her self-healing issues, but maybe she will have talents to aid in this regard (perhaps something like Lúcio's Back in the MixBack in the Mix).

We can't judge a Hero by their base kit. I'm pretty sure she will have talents to compensate.

Due to her long range, I thinks it's fair she doesn't have any sustain outside of the grenade.

She also have the sleep dart if an enemy try to take on her alone.

Yeah, we'll have to see what she can do in game.

Love the talents, maybe they will make up for her mediocre basic kit. I'd probably go with something like this:

Tier 1: Piercing Darts

Tier 2: Aim Down Sights

Tier 3: Debilitating Dart

Ultimate: Nano Boost

Tier 4: Purifying Darts

Tier 5: Sharpshooter

Tier 6: Somnolent Doses

18 hours ago, Aglommon said:

She also have the sleep dart if an enemy try to take on her alone.

I can just see Ana getting eaten alive by so many of the roster atm. To take advantage of that range, she'll need to position herself perfectly to not only have "LoS" on the right allies, but also so that she isn't too vulnerable to any enemy assassin. She might be interesting vs. Butcher at least. Maybe the sleep will function as it does in OW on a charging Reinhardt.