FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zirul

Another Aff Lock needs help

Hi all,

My destro dps is doing just fine, but whenever I switch to Affliction my dps drops significantly.  I go from being at or near the top to being bottom dps in our 10man raid, particularly on single boss fights such as Iron Juggernaut.

I know dummy dps doesn't mean much, but my dps on a dummy is almost 50% higher with destro than it is with affliction.  Surely this is an indicator that I'm doing something wrong.

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what the problem is.  I've read all the guides, prepot, empower dots, compared logs, and I don't get it.  Here is my log for the latest Iron Juggernaut encounter:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ffey4nd2ied9qdsn/details/1/?s=5946&e=6325

My UA up time is low, my haunt uptime could be higher.  I did 173K dps on that fight, and I figure with my ilvl of 549, I should be around 220K which is where everyone else is in the raid.  Would changing my UA and Haunt uptime make up for 50k dps?  I get the sense I'm missing something significant. 

My gear:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/blackrock/Zirul/simple

I need help please!!

You self-diagnosed yourself, dude.  It's all about DoTs.  If your UA isn't up, not only are you not receiving your best DoT in terms of damage (post Agony nerf), but you're also reducing the damage done during MG and DS since they won't be proccing a DoT that isn't there.  DoTs at 99% uptime or higher is the HIGHEST priority for Affliction...everything else follows.

Haunt uptime is decent.  Not really anything you can control here since it has some reliance on RNG. 

You only used Dark Soul 3 times in a fight that lasted 6:18...6:18 is almost an idea time for a 2 min CD class.  You should have used DS at the beginning, 2:00 mark, 4:00 mark, and 6:00 mark.  This would have made it so your last 18 seconds of execute damage would have been way higher. 

You're playing Affliction with Breath and PBI...not optimal.  As Affliction, you REALLY want Wush or BBoY running around so you can snapshot mega Intellect DoTs.  With PBI, you're getting an intellect proc that lasts 20 seconds but isn't up again for 100 seconds, so you need something in the middle.  Breath is only giving you about 8k Int for 10 seconds while Wush would give you 15k at a 10 stack and BBoY would give 25k at a 10 stack. 

I'm also not a fan of Grimoire of Sacrifice here...remember that GoSac only increases Haunt, Fel Flame, MG, and DS damage.  With the nerf to Agony damage, and the 5.4 transition away from MG and DS and into DoTs, I think you're much better off going with a pet.

Great, thanks for the help Zagam.  I don't have Wush (never dropped) or BBoY so I'll probably put Aff on the backburner and continue with Destro until I get at least one of those trinkets.  In the mean time I will practice using your advice: 99% dot uptime, DS on CD, and use a pet.  Really appreciate the help, thanks. 

You also used Soulburn 7 times which is way too high for a single target 6 minute fight. That's one reason why your Haunt uptime is low.

Especially since you don't even have Wush there should be almost no reason you need to SB:SS, the only time I ever use it on a fight like Iron Jugg is on the opener when Wush hits 10 stacks and I have literally every other buff running. During the fight if I only get a Wush proc I hard cast at 8-9-10 stacks. The only time I SB:SS after the opener is if I have something like Wush + Breath + Meta proc at the same time where the SB:SS on 10 stacks will be much stronger.