FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
leech6590

Where's the Updated Destro Guide?

Destruction hasn't really changed a whole lot in how it's played.  The only thing I can think of is that you no longer want to use RoF in a single-target situation.  Otherwise, mastery is still a pro stat choice.  Good results are popping up using crit, but haste is still good as well.  Once you get 4-piece T16 crit could become even better.

But yes, the 5.2 guide will get you by just fine.

Edit: Well, after glancing through the guide there is definitely room for some updates regarding talents, but if you have specific questions about Destruction feel free to ask.

• Like 1

I'll get it up to speed tomorrow.  Real life tends to get in the way of my Azeroth life sometimes.  Playstyle hasn't changed this entire tier and talents are up for grabs per fight.  I also have to add to the Heroic Warlock specific tips guide tomorrow...maybe I should call in sick.

You have to know what MLG is.  This guy just spoofs it...I laugh my ass off every time I watch it.

SEALED DA DEAL!

Edit: Well, after glancing through the guide there is definitely room for some updates regarding talents, but if you have specific questions about Destruction feel free to ask.

- I'll bite =) just hit spoils with my guild last night and initially went for a destro approach, performed pitifully eeking out 165k....on a multi target bonanza. thats right, i said it, bonanza. switched to aff out of irritation and did a bit better at 180 but feel like if i understood destro better i could shred both of those values. to the point: i didnt feel that ember generation was high enough to justify f&b, leaving me to immolating adds that were dying quickly anyway. so that sucked. also, i struggled with my timing on havoc + shadowburn due to the low hp of many of the mobs. by the time i got my first shadwoburn off they were dead leaving me with 2 wasted havoc charges. those are mechanic based, any tips are welcome. my actual reforge is my main question (keep in mind i love aff, and havent touched destro since the green fire debacle 5 months ago - be gentle with me). im running 10.7k haste (i know its not a breakpoint, but i worship simcraft o.O), and 9k mastery. from the looks of things it appears that haste is.....shit? what is a preferential balance/opinion with regard to

maximizing destro's capabilities? ive seen excellent destro locks with 2.5k haste and upwards of 12k mastery while some with hold 10k H/10k M. wtf. I NEED CERTAINTIES!!! jk, but seriously a straight answer would be grrreeeeeaaat.

edit: armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/%C3%96blivion/simple

Edited by skullytor

Armory me.  Zagam, US-Cho'gall.  I'm running 21k Mastery, 11k Crit, 4.5k Haste and seeing HUGE numbers.  I pushed 244k on Spoils last night with that getup.  Havoc in that fight really should be used with Chaos Bolt...not enough high HP targets for Shadowburn to be Havoc'd.

If you want to do both Aff and Destro, I'd drop down to 10,124 Haste and pump Mastery then leftovers into Crit.  Haste is near worthless for Destruction.  I'm finding a Mastery > Crit build generates so many embers and hits so hard that Haste is just not needed.  Having low Haste also keeps you above 1.000 sec Incinerate casts during Tempus Repit and Bloodlust.

hm, noted. question though zagam: with 4.5k haste whats the cast time on a chaos bolt? it feels annoyingly long for me with 11k haste, i cant imagine it at 4k. i suppose the reason i ask is more regarding quality of life, i dont like many spells with exceedingly long casts that pin you in an area for 4 seconds. last question: would YOU drop to 10.1k haste with a subsequent mastery stack and hold the same reforge for each spec OR would you simply reforge on each swap. 

Edited by skullytor

Chaos Bolt's base cast time is 3.0 seconds, so you're never planted for 4.00 seconds.

50% Haste would reduce CB to like 1.5 seconds...the marginal difference you gain from Haste for CB's cast time is negligible.  There's not a whole lot of difference in standing still for 2.5 seconds and 2.0 seconds.

There's not a whole lot of difference in standing still for 2.5 seconds and 2.0 seconds.

I suppose it just feels like an eternity when trying to time it with uvls. gah, i need better dice <,<. what method do you use for havoc with regard to macros. single boss fights i just set boss to focus and have a @focustarget macro which works fine, but on add fights i havent really found a method that im wildly comfortable with. any advice?

edit: never passed a grammar class.

Edited by skullytor

If you're using UVLS, you shouldn't be using the procs for Chaos Bolt. Use them for Immolate/Conflag/etc. to build up lots of embers. Also, you should be doing everything in your power to replace that trinket.

I suppose it just feels like an eternity when trying to time it with uvls. gah, i need better dice <,<. what method do you use for havoc with regard to macros. single boss fights i just set boss to focus and have a @focustarget macro which works fine, but on add fights i havent really found a method that im wildly comfortable with. any advice?

edit: never passed a grammar class.

I've got my macro set up to Q, if you have a focus it'll cast it to that, otherwise it'll hit whatever Im mousing over.

#showtooltip Havoc
/cast [@focus,exists,harm] [@mouseover,harm] Havoc

Chaos Bolt's base cast time is 3.0 seconds, so you're never planted for 4.00 seconds.

50% Haste would reduce CB to like 1.5 seconds...the marginal difference you gain from Haste for CB's cast time is negligible.  There's not a whole lot of difference in standing still for 2.5 seconds and 2.0 seconds.

3 / (1+0.50) = 2 seconds

3/1.5 = (1+x)

2 = 1 + x

1 = x

You would need 100% haste to get it to 1.5 seconds.

If you're using UVLS, you shouldn't be using the procs for Chaos Bolt. Use them for Immolate/Conflag/etc. to build up lots of embers. Also, you should be doing everything in your power to replace that trinket.

Thursday, 30 / 40 attempts on Siegecrafter using UVLS (I had no replacement) had only one UVLS proc at the start of the pull.

5/40 attempts had a second proc right before we wiped

The other 5/40 attempts had 2-3 procs that didn't line up with anything useful including the long periods of AoE.

Complete junk for Destro.

Dumped it for the Timless Yu'lon's Bite...same amount of Intellect as my Heroic UVLS, but at least it'll proc every 2 minutes guaranteed 10,715 crit (my crit from armor is 8860) for 20 seconds.

Man I have so much Crit rolling...I'm buffed at 30%, DS with another 30%, Trinket, 2p-10% for Immolate/Incinerate and 4p flat 15%.

3 / (1+0.50) = 2 seconds

3/1.5 = (1+x)

2 = 1 + x

1 = x

You would need 100% haste to get it to 1.5 seconds.

I was talking about personal Haste along with procs, but yeah, you're right.  I have a cast chart on the first page of the Destro guide to show exact calculations.

Thursday, 30 / 40 attempts on Siegecrafter using UVLS (I had no replacement) had only one UVLS proc at the start of the pull.

5/40 attempts had a second proc right before we wiped

The other 5/40 attempts had 2-3 procs that didn't line up with anything useful including the long periods of AoE.

Complete junk for Destro.

Dumped it for the Timless Yu'lon's Bite...same amount of Intellect as my Heroic UVLS, but at least it'll proc every 2 minutes guaranteed 10,715 crit (my crit from armor is 8860) for 20 seconds.

Man I have so much Crit rolling...I'm buffed at 30%, DS with another 30%, Trinket, 2p-10% for Immolate/Incinerate and 4p flat 15%.

During Flex Galarkas on Sunday, I had 88% Crit at some point.  35% base, 30% with DS:Instability, 15% from 4pc bonus, and the last 8% coming from all the Intellect procs.  Makes it kinda fun to think we might hit 100% Crit with DS:I up around 575 item level.

During Flex Galarkas on Sunday, I had 88% Crit at some point.  35% base, 30% with DS:Instability, 15% from 4pc bonus, and the last 8% coming from all the Intellect procs.  Makes it kinda fun to think we might hit 100% Crit with DS:I up around 575 item level.

Who needs UVLS? 

i had forgotten uvls was based off of haste. as i mentioned earlier i play aff almost full-time (11k haste) and its rare for me to go through a fight without at least 5-9 procs. i have been wondering what my fellow locks had been complaining about until just now.