FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sisco

Raidbots

Most of us are using simc and simperm to throw our gear into raidbots to see what is theoretically the best. Since we are limited to the number of pieces (~21) we can use for the sims in simperm, how do you guys go about making sure you have all the best? Do you first run the sims to see what combo of T19 and T20 to use, then see if its better to maybe only run T20 bc your offset pieces now are so much higher than the T19 pieces you have to work with? Then sim what trinkets to use with that gear set? Then see what legendaries are best? Because we are limited to 21 pieces or whatever it is in simpermut I've been doing one step at a time. How do you guys do it?

It's situational. I don't rerun T19 sims because the pieces I'm wearing are the best ones I got. My 920 T19 cloak is still higher ilvl than the 915 T20 I got, for example. I never got a good legpiece of T19 so my socketed 890 gloves are just better than any other option available to me. My guild doesn't keep running Nighthold and I don't like to pug, especially mythic, which means I'm basically locked. Switching my T19 for my best ilvl gear (a 930 cloak and 925 gloves) makes me lose about 100k dps. I've made some sims and even 950 pieces aren't worth using for my build.

I usually run stat weight first, make sure my gear pieces make sense and then run sims from there. I don't switch every single piece combination because most of them are just obviously bad and I don't roll on anything with versatility to begin with. For the most part I only sim legendaries, so the only pieces I switch are the parts that legendaries replace, and I never drop tier. I don't wear the legendary belt because I got a 950 belt, so unsurprisingly the belt sims pretty low for me. I only rerun sims when I get a new gear piece that seems powerful just by looking at it. I might stop wearing a legendary ring if I get a better ring, for example. Once your gear is well optimized you only end up simming one or two pieces at a time, so there's no point in reworking everything around until a class balancing patch drops.

Edited by Khallid
  • Thanks 1

Yea, i was pretty set with my gear after clearing normal ToS ( i know, not cutting edge), but we had a good go in Heroic last night and i got a few new pieces that titanforged substantially higher than either old T19N/H or T20N so i thought it may be a good time to sit down for a but and run a couple sims to make sure i am using my best in bags. I think i will run one and let raidbots determine my best 2p 4p combo and then run what i think would be the best 4pt20 with higher offset and see how the dps compares. i wont be suprised though if, like you found, it is lower. I've been running leggy bracers and belt but now that i got some nice 925-930 bracers last night i might switch out the leggy bracers for the ring. got a 950 tarnished sential owl too so id like to see what implications that has. a lot of considerations are on my mind. i was hoping someone had a simple list of steps to get the best results in the fewest number of sims.

Sorry, I don't have a simple list of steps. I just sim what I think makes sense.

What I've seen is that the T19 becomes stronger when you're running a high crit build, because you use more dire beasts from Wild Call and get more uptime on Bestial Wrath, which is what combos with T19. If your crit is not particularly high then high item level non-tier pieces may be worth checking. And if you're not using T19 then that frees the possibility of using the legendary chest or shoulder, as well as reworking which T20 pieces you want to use, so that forces you to test more possibilities. I've been avoiding all that hassle because I'm using a high crit build with legendary boots so T19 is worth a lot.

Edited by Khallid
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

So ran a few sims last night and 2p + 4p is still the winner but only by about .2% so with a few more drops i can finally shed the T19 gear. The sims also showed what i had hoped and i am now running leggy belt and ring. as for trinkets it had me replace my 880 CoF with a new 950 Tarnished Owl. Macro'd it in to my BW and seems to be working pretty well but i will miss the constant AotW that Cotw+CoF were providing. We also cleared normal last night and i got 915 cradle of anquish. This simmed higher than my haste statstick but will probably only get used on non-progression nights where my health doesnt drop below 50% too often. The buff it gives is not listed in warcraftlogs so i am unsure how to monitor its uptime effectively. The steps i followed and will probably use for sims are are below:

1)without legendaries, find best dps output using T19 and T20 combos

2) without legendaries find best dps without T19 combo

3)using the higher dps found in steps 1 and 2, sim that gear with legendaries

4)now that most is know, sim trinkets with best set up found in step 4

5) generate stat weights using gear from best set up found in step 5

6) optimize any non legendary rings, neck, boot, bracers, belt 

On 27/09/2017 at 12:48 PM, Khallid said:

My 920 T19 cloak is still higher ilvl than the 915 T20 I got, for example. I never got a good legpiece of T19 so my socketed 890 gloves are just better than any other option available to me.

well i said it in another post...but that guildy of mind that got 940 T19 shoulders....got 925 pants from mythic guldan this week. MY EYES ARE GREEN I TELL YA GREEN! 

On 27/09/2017 at 2:44 PM, Sisco said:

Yea, i was pretty set with my gear after clearing normal ToS ( i know, not cutting edge), but we had a good go in Heroic last night. 

I know i sound like a pompous arse but clearing normal and running sims....that is so cute! 

1 minute ago, Banard said:

I know i sound like a pompous arse but clearing normal and running sims....that is so cute! 

Sure, but nowadays "sim your gear" is a very standard advice that we tell to everybody, so it's not necessarily surprising. It's also very easy to do using raidbots.

4 hours ago, Banard said:

You do. We are a more social guild that is working on Heroic and have never done, in the past or present, mythic raids.  However, they are my family that I have raided with for years. While it may seem silly to you for someone like me, that isn't doing mythic content, to sim themselves after getting a new piece of gear to see it is a potential dps increase (even if it came from heroic), I think it is silly for you to look down on someone at any stage in the game that wants to play to the best of their situation. 

Edited by Sisco

16 hours ago, Sisco said:

I think it is silly for you to look down on someone at any stage in the game that wants to play to the best of their situation. 

Don't assume. You are a random person on the Internets. I have no opinion of you good or bad. You read malice in a sentence where there was none. i.e. i made fun of myself in my own post. Stop getting so defensive. 

Edited by Banard

Things are relatively OK for now, but please watch out with where this discussion is heading. Keep it on topic and don't now go down the route of just insulting each other. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Blainie said:

Things are relatively OK for now, but please watch out with where this discussion is heading. Keep it on topic and don't now go down the route of just insulting each other. 

Thanks!

Won't have to worry about that Blaine. Next time I will go somewhere else for advice.

2 hours ago, Sisco said:

Won't have to worry about that Blaine. Next time I will go somewhere else for advice.

I cannot even comprehend how you took a post in jest, a post that I wrote to make fun of meself more then anything, to be so offensive. Boggles me mind, just boggles me mind. 

36 minutes ago, Banard said:

I cannot even comprehend how you took a post in jest, a post that I wrote to make fun of meself more then anything, to be so offensive. Boggles me mind, just boggles me mind. 

An insult is an insult, even if you think it sounds lighthearted. It wasn't a strong insult, but you mocked him for no reason, unsolicited. If you can't understand why that's a bad thing you just lack empathy, end of story. 

Just chill out and apologize, geez. Don't try to make an argument out of everything.

Seeing how relatively easy it is to sim your character, I recommend it to anyone that's interested in learning more about WoW, classes, builds and mechanics. Simming doesn't just tell you what would be the best, but offer you insight as to why that is true. It is a very solid way to enhance your gaming experience, no matter what level you play at. It's a great way to help you to progress up the difficulty chain that is end-game content.

I raided very casual for many years (Vanilla, BC and early WotLK), no research on any bosses or any builds. Just be at the raid entrance at the appointed time and just wing it. With the very limited time I had per week, my progress was very slow. Once I gained a lot more time halfway in WotLK (Yay free time IRL!), I started to accelerate to the more hardcore raiding until I managed cutting edge raiding in Cata up till now.

But let me tell you, simming my characters all these years have been absolutely invaluable in the transition. A veritable gem that can give you the understanding you need to beat that pesky boss. Be it normal or mythic.