FORUMS
DracoInferno

Premium International Fee

FYI: It looks like the Premium Membership is billed from Villeurbanne, France.

This may be important for some people if your bank, such as a credit union in the US, charges you an International Transaction Fee. As I got charged one a few days ago at the same time of my Premium Sub.

For the Admins, not sure if this is something that should be mentioned in the FAQs or not.

Thanks for letting us know. I wasn't aware that this could happen and had assumed that the payment processor being in the US would save us from this kind of stuff. I will have a chat with our devs to see if we can circumvent this (or ask the payment processor to include  that fee in theirs). If we can't find a solution, then this is something that I will definitely add to the premium FAQ.

Out of curiosity, how much was the fee?

@DracoInferno We've looked things up to see if we could somehow cover that fee, but it is outside the scope of the payment processor. The bank or credit card company sees that the beneficiary is a foreign company (in France in our case) and applies the fee for international payment, even if it does not cost them anything because the payment processor is American. So I added a section in the FAQ to mention it.

• Like 1

So sorry it took so long to respond. For my $9.99, it was just a $0.07 fee. I do not know if it is a flat fee or percentage, as it may vary by the financial institution. Wow, using words from work. Haha. My bank in the US is Navy Federal Credit Union, I have inserted the blurb from their website below:

Any time you use your Navy Federal Debit Card or CUCARD overseas, you'll be charged an International Service Assessment (ISA) fee. This is a Visa-mandated fee for ATM and POS transactions performed outside the U.S. When the merchant runs the transaction in the local currency (or if you withdraw money in local currency at an ATM), the transaction will post to your account in U.S. dollars and you'll be charged a 1% ISA fee. If the transaction is in U.S. dollars, you'll be charged at 0.8% of the transaction amount.

Using Navy Credit Union Overseas (Click the International Fees heading)

• Like 1

Uncommon Patron

I'm so disappointed. I know it's not your fault and I have been loving IV without the ads but for my sub of £2.00 GBP for a month I was charged £1.25 on top for an international payment. 

I would rather you had the extra to be honest! This will annoy me so much, like throwing money down the drain via a bankers greedy pockets. I may have to cancel. If you could take a yearly payment that would solve the problem, Is that something you could implement?

1 hour ago, JJ77 said:

I'm so disappointed. I know it's not your fault and I have been loving IV without the ads but for my sub of £2.00 GBP for a month I was charged £1.25 on top for an international payment. 

I would rather you had the extra to be honest! This will annoy me so much, like throwing money down the drain via a bankers greedy pockets. I may have to cancel. If you could take a yearly payment that would solve the problem, Is that something you could implement?

Wow, that's so high :( I didn't know a bank could charge such a fee. We have yearly payments coming very soon. I'm hoping we can roll it out on Monday. I originally wanted to have it for the beginning of October, but things always seem to take longer than expected.

Anyway, I can refund your payment if you'd like (in hope that the fee will get refunded to you as well) and you can enjoy free premium for a few days until you are able to subscribe for 1 year at once. What do you think?

Uncommon Patron

Damien, that is such a kind suggestion, thank you, but I won't take you up on it as the admin involved would probably end up costing you much more than that. Will I be able to just add a yearly payment when you have implemented this or should I cancel the current arrangement first?

In the UK banks seem to get away with a lot. It's a 'handling fee' rather than a percentage.

I'm so glad you are introducing the yearly option it solves the problem for me :)

2 hours ago, JJ77 said:

Damien, that is such a kind suggestion, thank you, but I won't take you up on it as the admin involved would probably end up costing you much more than that. Will I be able to just add a yearly payment when you have implemented this or should I cancel the current arrangement first?

In the UK banks seem to get away with a lot. It's a 'handling fee' rather than a percentage.

I'm so glad you are introducing the yearly option it solves the problem for me :)

You will be able to jump on the yearly subscription, but you will need to cancel your existing sub first and then wait for it to run its course (I asked the devs specifically about that today).

• Like 1