FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Chaen

Yet another help/critique thread (Destro)

Hey guys,  recently joined the forums after lurking for a while.  As others have stated, this is pretty much the best place I've found for informative and reasoned discussion, so thanks very much.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kargath/Infections/advanced

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/9r0h3biohx61gphr/sum/damageDone/?s=7907&e=8469 - Garrosh 10m Normal kill

- Video of above kill from my PoV

I won't ask about Destro reforges, that's been beaten to death already, and I know the answer.  Things I know I can do better on are

• Ember management.  I capped embers a few times during the fight
  • Forgetting to turn off FnB when switching back to single target (I hate it when I do this).

So in the situation where I've got 38+ emberbits and I have 6 backdraft stacks, is it better to consume backdraft with a Chaos bolt or continue to fire off Incinerates even though I end up capping embers?  Probably it's because the habit of spending Conflag charges as soon as they're available, no?  How detrimental is that overall?  I don't have any pretentions of being in the top X, but I'm always looking to improve.

If you have WA (and if you dont you should) then you might want to try this for your F&B issue.

duZicaWsHq7si61QaZuf0CfkZgWTPODIi7LSBq7xi9tvKHPc9BfnyHQHlLoiqvhtkoNiTqeSukPAXIOLd1dPKYtrTmkXZv1JH0uvyYuQPl5Wc(lqUmvxhjTrvQptHndX2bQCAL(kLKMMu9DvsFdOmoKy0QeJxi4KIWTurDnrDEe1ZqOnrjX2qQvJgIxXjGLJrcOESeOt4hlKCb2ImORbmWe9aqil2dq7K418Rj0nWUdf)ITe5rXMITfBRH4iCcb59sKSezA)y3sknfWYIbMbBnet9DqOaH)fbX4jGRHytQa1QHkvIP(oOV1rfbXFRJQH4FHgaUiruLyuGW)Ai(xObGl2QG36hEYAruLkXKpHG8EP7Contmdgy05oXmXuIc5CVlg7g7eoi36Ix0ju8Al(2keehGRzO2judXMHfQH4ICRlUf7VxIBX(7L4wQaVRsL4cVggowdXWGP)AisnIVxShnEaAhnob8A(1e6Quj(6Axx0DUtttPNsNtZu65glc5CNwmKQ5aVggo(fPgXx814sP7CNMMspLoNMP0ZnweY5oTkXbneFVypA8a0oACc418Rj0fNawogjG6XsGoHFSqYfylYGUgWat0daHSypaTtIxZVMq3a7ouLyWjsn9MJQKa

So in the situation where I've got 38+ emberbits and I have 6 backdraft stacks, is it better to consume backdraft with a Chaos bolt or continue to fire off Incinerates even though I end up capping embers? 

It's *best* to simply not get in this situation. Keeping better track of your embers/conflags will help a lot. If you DO find yourself in this situation, cast the CB imo. Either way you're going to throw Embers out the window, might as well do it with a bang.

The overall DPS loss of this will be very small if it only happens once/twice. If it's a repetitive issue then you're going to take a notable DPS loss.

• Like 1

Thanks for the WA string.  I actually haven't used WA before, but I know many do so it might be something to give a shot. 

Granted, the backdraft situation *shouldn't* occur, but it does from time to time although I wouldn't classify it as "frequent".  It usually will tend to happen in situations like kiling the Siege Engineer, where I kill the add with a Shadowburn (extra embers), then have to run back to where the rest of the raid is.  As I'm getting into range, I'll toss out my Conflags that have stacked up during the downtime and then realize I've got 6 Backdrafts and 4 full embers. :( Conflag is usually my go-to "I'm on the move and need to keep casting", so that's an example of how it can occur.

To answer a couple of your easy questions, while it's not optimal to cap your Embers, sometimes it happens, especially when you just polished a couple of adds off with Shadowburn.  Sometimes I consume a few Backdraft stacks with Chaos Bolt, but usually only when I know I've got some major embers coming in. 

Fire and Brimstone does that all the time.  I get that "WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE SHITTY IMMOLATE ON GARROSH?  Oh yeah, DERP, let's turn this off...' Happens to the best of us, man.  Best thing is to make a WeakAura letting you know it's on and put it somewhere you'll see it.  I actually made it a unique buff that went with my ElvUI buffs, but I colored it bright green...it kinda lets me know it's on so I flip it off.

I've never analyzed a video before...could be fun.  Watching now...

P1 notes - your guild is mean, forcing you to do the weapons AND the Engineers?  We actually split our Ele Sham and Hunter out to handle both engineers while we all AoE the adds and I do the Weapon completely alone.  Great source of Burning Embers.  I noticed you were spamming the holy bejesus out of your Shadowburn button and didn't get it off...never stop casting waiting for a SB to pop up.  You sat there for a solid 4-5 seconds doing 0 DPS trying to snipe a SB.

Intermission notes - you didn't squeeze off any CBs, so you capped Embers pretty hard.  As long as you are not in the area for his Annihilate, you can start casting a CB, get it off, and move out of range even if he centers on you for his next one.  Squeeze some of those in.

P2 notes - why not use Shadowfury on MC'd teammates?  It's a free 3 second 'silence' that allows the rest of your team to just DPS and basically skip the interrupt mechanic.  You spec'd into it but didn't use it.  Btw, repairing mid-fight is always hilarious.  Your team also came dangerously close to boom-roasting your Monk.  Watch the burst there...a crit could spell a wipe.  I also noticed that you tend to gravitate towards Incinerate as your important spell.  Chaos Bolt is the important spell and Incinerate is your filler.  Try to shift more focus into CB.  I saw lots of capping issues.

2nd Intermission - got a couple of CBs off, but still capped.  You'd be better off using Ember Tap than leaving yourself capped like that.

P3 notes - You need some WeakAuras in the biggest way.  I watched you burn your Shadowburns on Garrosh and 2 seconds later, PBI proc'd.  Your SB's would have done TONS more damage.  You also have no WeakAura for Wush, and I didn't see you prioritizing Chaos Bolt during Wush procs. 

Other than those notes, I'd say you did well.  Congrats on the kill!  Your team looks coordinated and pretty fluid, and you've got some rockstar promise.  Just work on bigger Chaos Bolts, avoid Ember capping, and grab some WeakAuras.

P1 notes - your guild is mean, forcing you to do the weapons AND the Engineers?  We actually split our Ele Sham and Hunter out to handle both engineers while we all AoE the adds and I do the Weapon completely alone.  Great source of Burning Embers.  I noticed you were spamming the holy bejesus out of your Shadowburn button and didn't get it off...never stop casting waiting for a SB to pop up.  You sat there for a solid 4-5 seconds doing 0 DPS trying to snipe a SB.

Heh, we had normally run with at least 3 ranged for that fight, but our Hunter had to work late, thus it was me for the engineers and Sic and I both on the Weapons.  Basically I'm on cleanup duty mostly in Ph1.  Yeah, I havoc'd Garrosh, and not sure why SB had trouble going off that pull.  I'm typically able to do that and pump out plenty of them.  Thanks for the advice on not stopping though.

Intermission notes - you didn't squeeze off any CBs, so you capped Embers pretty hard.  As long as you are not in the area for his Annihilate, you can start casting a CB, get it off, and move out of range even if he centers on you for his next one.  Squeeze some of those in.

Somewhat a-typical for the actual kill, I try not to move with the entire group and just sidestep out of the cone so I can get back to casting.  I've had a couple very near misses where trying to get off a CB almost got me killed.  I'll try to do better (more haste perhaps, I've chosen the Crit path after Mastery at the moment).

P2 notes - why not use Shadowfury on MC'd teammates?  It's a free 3 second 'silence' that allows the rest of your team to just DPS and basically skip the interrupt mechanic.  You spec'd into it but didn't use it.  Btw, repairing mid-fight is always hilarious.  Your team also came dangerously close to boom-roasting your Monk.  Watch the burst there...a crit could spell a wipe.  I also noticed that you tend to gravitate towards Incinerate as your important spell.  Chaos Bolt is the important spell and Incinerate is your filler.  Try to shift more focus into CB.  I saw lots of capping issues.

Not using Shadowfury is actually due to not wanting to get used to relying on it.  Once in phase 3 stuns won't work on MC'd people, so I don't want to be in the habit of blasing that out.  Yeah, I hear you on killing teammates.  On an earlier attempt which was going swimmingly, I ended up being killed by our rogue (stupid poisons).  I got rezzed, and back in the fight, but had 0 embers so I couldn't use Flames of Xoroth to resummon my pet, and I had to move to get away from empowered whirlwind too so I couldn't manually resummon.  Forgot about getting my demon back up after attending to the adds, and on the next MC my lack of interrupt caused a wipe.  Sucked bigtime.

2nd Intermission - got a couple of CBs off, but still capped.  You'd be better off using Ember Tap than leaving yourself capped like that.

P3 notes - You need some WeakAuras in the biggest way.  I watched you burn your Shadowburns on Garrosh and 2 seconds later, PBI proc'd.  Your SB's would have done TONS more damage.  You also have no WeakAura for Wush, and I didn't see you prioritizing Chaos Bolt during Wush procs. 

Other than those notes, I'd say you did well.  Congrats on the kill!  Your team looks coordinated and pretty fluid, and you've got some rockstar promise.  Just work on bigger Chaos Bolts, avoid Ember capping, and grab some WeakAuras.

Good call on Ember Tapping, thanks.  As noted above, I haven't used WA yet, so I'll try that out next week.  I know your low opinion of it, but I've been using TellMeWhen to track procs of trinkets and DS uptimes.  While AffDots is good for showing relative levels of DoTs, it doesn't also track time until you lose important buffs, so it's not the only thing to use.  I'll try disabling TMW and run with WA next week.  It did suck to be out of embers when PBI popped up though.  I know I can use TMW to track the ICD on it as well, but I'll try switching to WA as noted.

Thanks very much for the critique, it's greatly appreciated.

Your team looks coordinated and pretty fluid, and you've got some rockstar promise. 

I dunno, I also recorded a pretty funny screw up from one of our earlier nights of attempts on Garrosh.

:P