FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Tswizzy

5.4 rogue spec controversy

So i picked up my rogue again and decided to start playing him once again and have been playing as assassination like it no complaints, one of my guild members keeps telling me that if i go sub my damage will increase by a good deal. my question is, if i do go sub which i have been trying to test out on dummies and such seems to be in the same place my Mut spec is seemingly on par with it on dummies. know it will change in raid and such. just want to have another opinion on which would be the better spec of the three. getting another weapon would not be a problem if i had to go combo. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightbringer/Tswizzy/simple

ignore the missing of some enchants and such just picked a bunch of pieces up last night.

For single-target, it doesn't really matter which spec you will go, they're all roughly the same, so simply choose whichever you prefer.

In multiple-target fights, Combat seems to be the clear winner, though.

thats what alot of people say. why is this when you look at the theory crafting (i know its not realistic dps) says in one spec should be doing oh lets just say another 20-40k or example. are the numbers achievable or just not taking into account RNG

and if that is the case that they are so close would it make more sense to go combat due to the multi target capabilities? the only problem people seem to have with sub is positioning. or does combat seem to get better with the better gear as you go? dont see many combat rogues unless they are extremely high geared. 

Every spec differs in a given scenario, be it in the simple single-target scenario they use for theorycrafting or in the scenario given by a raid boss. To give you an idea, simply browse through the rankings at http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Siege_of_Orgrimmar/dps/ this should give you an idea of how each spec performs on a given encounter.

There is no reason not to play a Combat Rogue at lower gear levels. Traditionally, Assassination and Combat have been the specs for raiding and Subtlety has been the spec for PvP and questing. In MoP the devs have spent a lot of time tweaking Subtlety to make it viable, so you can also play it no problem.

All in all, I think it all comes down to personal preference. Of course, you have fights that are detrimental to a particular spec (like Combat Rogues don't like fights where you have downtime that causes Bandit's Guile to drop), but you really should play the spec you like, because the difference between each spec is so tiny (not counting how Combat is for AoE damage), that you'll perform best with the spec you enjoy playing the most.