FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

World of Warcraft Ban Wave: Oct 13

aX5QEvv.jpg

A new ban wave went out earlier today, targeting users of third-party software.

Blizzard has suspended accounts that were found to be using bots. For more details about the ban wave check out the ongoing discussion on reddit.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

We’ve recently taken action against a number of accounts that were found to be using third-party programs that automate gameplay. These programs (commonly called cheats, bots, or hacks) automate certain aspects of gameplay, or provide unintended advantages and abilities to the player. This type of cheating undermines other players' experience and severely upsets the balance of the game environment.

As a reminder, in order to ensure fair play and competitive integrity, we closely monitor these and other activities that violate the Terms of Use.

We’re committed to providing an equal and fair playing field for everyone in World of Warcraft, and will continue to take action against those found in violation of our Terms of Use. Cheating of any form will not be tolerated.
  • Thanks 1

On one hand, I'm glad that they banned people using cheating software. On the other hand, ever since I got wrongly banned (and later unbanned with blizz claiming it was a mistake) I can't help but worry about all the people doing nothing wrong who got affected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SMOrcMan said:

On one hand, I'm glad that they banned people using cheating software. On the other hand, ever since I got wrongly banned (and later unbanned with blizz claiming it was a mistake) I can't help but worry about all the people doing nothing wrong who got affected.

Every business makes mistakes. It is better for them to play safe and minimize the mistakes. You have to look at it as the same thing as an item ringing up wrong in a grocery store. It is going to happen, but the store should be trying to minimize the amount of mistakes.  No system is foolproof.

3 minutes ago, Thorosofbeer said:

Every business makes mistakes. It is better for them to play safe and minimize the mistakes. You have to look at it as the same thing as an item ringing up wrong in a grocery store. It is going to happen, but the store should be trying to minimize the amount of mistakes.  No system is foolproof.

It's fine if they make mistakes, but I contact support like 10 times whilst I was still banned and they didn't provide me any explanation and continuously dodged around the question... I had to look it up online to figure out it was related to some win trading thing :|

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SMOrcMan said:

It's fine if they make mistakes, but I contact support like 10 times whilst I was still banned and they didn't provide me any explanation and continuously dodged around the question... I had to look it up online to figure out it was related to some win trading thing :|

Thing about that is that if Blizzard were to ban 1,000 people on average 800+ of them would contact Blizzard trying to find out why they got banned or that they were banned wrongfully etc...  So if Blizzard bans 10,000 people then 8,000 ish people...  They may just see that another person is complaining about being banned so they skip over it.

11 minutes ago, DeathsDesign said:

Thing about that is that if Blizzard were to ban 1,000 people on average 800+ of them would contact Blizzard trying to find out why they got banned or that they were banned wrongfully etc...  So if Blizzard bans 10,000 people then 8,000 ish people...  They may just see that another person is complaining about being banned so they skip over it.

I contacted them and didn't complain, just asked for an explanation, and it was in a live chat for like 15-20 minutes of me talking to them. Not really sure skipping it over is applicable.

I helped run a much smaller game, a MUD, many years ago. There was a high likelihood that when someone was suspended or banned, they'd go marching off to the customer service email... which, for a while, I ran.

You always, always get people protesting utter innocence, and demanding evidence to the contrary. The point is to find out how they were discovered, so they can try to avoid detection next time. If you divulge any explanation at all, you've helped them build a better cheat.

Or they never ever ever downloaded a bot. Never. Ever. Nope. Well... maybe their brother did. Their brother who shares the account. Which sharing is against the rules. But that's not my fault I never ever ever downloaded a bot. What do you mean I'm responsible for all actions the account takes...

Unfortunately, when an innocent IS caught up in this, it's extremely difficult to not sound exactly like the other people. Thus, your first hurdle is simply to get through to a CS person who really has "heard it all before".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, solitha said:

I helped run a much smaller game, a MUD, many years ago. There was a high likelihood that when someone was suspended or banned, they'd go marching off to the customer service email... which, for a while, I ran.

You always, always get people protesting utter innocence, and demanding evidence to the contrary. The point is to find out how they were discovered, so they can try to avoid detection next time. If you divulge any explanation at all, you've helped them build a better cheat.

Or they never ever ever downloaded a bot. Never. Ever. Nope. Well... maybe their brother did. Their brother who shares the account. Which sharing is against the rules. But that's not my fault I never ever ever downloaded a bot. What do you mean I'm responsible for all actions the account takes...

Unfortunately, when an innocent IS caught up in this, it's extremely difficult to not sound exactly like the other people. Thus, your first hurdle is simply to get through to a CS person who really has "heard it all before".

I guess this is quite accurate!

Edited by Slam

How do you know what add on is considered botting or looking suspicious? I use a lot of addons. Nothing that auto does anything in the game but now I'm wondering if maybe using no addons at all is the way to go so they don't accidentally ban you. 

3 hours ago, Tula said:

How do you know what add on is considered botting or looking suspicious? I use a lot of addons. Nothing that auto does anything in the game but now I'm wondering if maybe using no addons at all is the way to go so they don't accidentally ban you. 

You'll know if you're using bots. You don't just use bots without knowing. :p

Addons aren't bots.

18 hours ago, SMOrcMan said:

I contacted them and didn't complain, just asked for an explanation, and it was in a live chat for like 15-20 minutes of me talking to them. Not really sure skipping it over is applicable.

I never said you were complaining, I'm just saying that a lot of people do.  It doesn't matter how you approach them in your mind it's all about how they perceive you approaching them.  Perception is reality (even though it shouldn't be sometimes).

17 hours ago, solitha said:

This is the exact point I was trying to make (even thought I didn't make it that well).

3 hours ago, Tula said:

bots automate gameplay.  Most bots either play the game for you without you having to control anything or control some aspects preventing you from having to fully control your character and their abilities.

2 hours ago, Ammako said:

You'll know if you're using bots. You don't just use bots without knowing. :p

Addons aren't bots.

Yeah I know add ons are not bots but they are still third party applications. I just don't want to get accidentally banned for something that isn't a bot but Blizzard thinks it is. I don't know any other way people are getting accidentally banned. 

19 minutes ago, Tula said:

Yeah I know add ons are not bots but they are still third party applications. I just don't want to get accidentally banned for something that isn't a bot but Blizzard thinks it is. I don't know any other way people are getting accidentally banned. 

WoW Addons do not contain exe or dll files,  so basically they are no application just a modification. Addons are just lua scripts and only belong in the wow/addon folder.  So if you have none of these filetypes in your addons,  you should be good to go

50 minutes ago, Tula said:

If they didn't want you to do it, they wouldn't make it a feature of the game.

2 hours ago, t3ramos said:

WoW Addons do not contain exe or dll files,  so basically they are no application just a modification. Addons are just lua scripts and only belong in the wow/addon folder.  So if you have none of these filetypes in your addons,  you should be good to go

On thanks for clearing that up. Only kept a few cause it was over kill. I like addons but they can make you lag and be outdated some of them.

22 hours ago, Tula said:

Addons are NOT third-party programs. The entire UI for World of Warcraft (all of them, even the Blizzard UI) is just a giant addon written with the same scripts and commands as every addon you can download and install. Addons are not " third-party programs". They are what you could call "first-party programs" that are integral to the game. Third-party programs run outside the game of World of Warcraft and send input to the game as if the player were doing it. Addons cannot do this.

Edited by Ziljiin

Correct, add-ons are not programs.

But they aren't first-party just because they're lua code.

Blizzard's own UI uses their own first-party addons. Addons from Curse and other such addon websites are third-party. Blizzard just provides the platform.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 11:42 AM, Rudy199 said:

Too bad they won't ban multiboxing from Tarren Mill pvp brawl. The score is always 150-0

A well placed Thunderstorm/Typhoon can really ruin their day! :p