https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2h3Gfkw9px8F6YyN#fight=5

- Armoury Link
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/magtheridon/mcvitiez

- Specialization
Frost (see Armory)

- Rotation
Following Icy Veins Frost Mage guide

- Describe what you seek help with
I've been analysing my DPS to try and improve myself, and I've noticed that I cast far fewer ice lances than other mages my ilevel with similar kill times. (shorter, in some cases) 

The trouble is I can't figure out why. I've taken a look at buffs and uptimes and I can't see why there's a difference of approximately 30 casts. Could anyone give me a hand in understanding how to analyse this using Warcraft Logs (I've linked the specific fight I compared) in a bid to get my numbers up and understand where I'm going wrong. I've noticed one thing, which is my uptime on Magtheridon's bracers seems far lower. Maybe I'm moving too much?

P.S. I have compared my logs with players that have similar legendaries as I've not had Shard of the Exodar drop yet. So it's not to do with time warp.

Edited by Mcvitiez

This isn't a perfect tool, but I've put your character through WoWAnalyzer. It assesses things from a purely mathematical/timing point of view. It might be worth taking a look through the recommendations from it, but keep in mind they don't always take into account the actual encounter:

• Frozen Orb was on Cooldown 84.67% of the time. Make sure you are casting Frozen Orb as much as possible.

84.67% (95.00% is Recommended)

• Your Icy Veins duration can be improved. Make sure you use Frozen Orb to get Fingers of Frost Procs

34 seconds Average Icy Veins Duration (45 is recommended)

• You wasted 2.70% Brain Freeze procs.

2.70% missed (Wasting none is recommended)

• You failed to Shatter 3 Winter's Chill. Make sure you cast Ice Lance after each Flurry so Ice Lance can benefit from the Shatter Bonus.

3 Winter's Chill not Shattered (0 is recommended)

• Try to cast Ebonbolt more often.

8 out of 11 possible casts; 78.35% cast efficiency (>90.00% is recommended)

• Your downtime can be improved. Try to Always Be Casting (ABC), try to reduce the delay between casting spells. Even if you have to move, try casting instants, even unbuffed Ice Lancespam is better than nothing.

39.06% downtime (<20.00% is recommended)

12 minutes ago, Mcvitiez said:

This is brilliant analysis, thanks. I'll work on this stuff tonight and see if I can make an improvement. 

I'd just keep in mind that the analysis doesn't take into account the actual fight. Take each point with a bit of salt, just because it can sometimes ignore forced downtime (lore speech on a boss, movement, etc.)

Still good points, but check your own performance with them in real time. Are you actually not casting Frozen Orb enough etc.? 

Agreed but it gives me something to think about. Also helps me to prioritise correctly, for example it's worth saving a few ice lance procs before popping icy veins. should get me a few extra seconds. Things like that. 

34 minutes ago, Mcvitiez said:

Agreed but it gives me something to think about. Also helps me to prioritise correctly, for example it's worth saving a few ice lance procs before popping icy veins. should get me a few extra seconds. Things like that. 

Definitely - I was more just giving it as a warning since I've had people take it as gospel before and aim for something impossible :p

On 10/21/2017 at 7:18 AM, Blainie said:

• Your downtime can be improved. Try to Always Be Casting (ABC), try to reduce the delay between casting spells. Even if you have to move, try casting instants, even unbuffed Ice Lancespam is better than nothing.

I totally read that in Alec Baldwin's voice.  

• Like 1