FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
skullytor

Prot T16 4pc vs using ret 4pc

Sup guys,

Had a quick question regarding haste tanking builds and the current prot 2 and 4 piece abilities. in 5.3 i ignored all prot tier and ran select ret tier in its place for the static haste and mastery benefits, mostly due to thecks postings regarding the uselessness of both 2 and 4 set prot t15 bonuses. however, after seeing several of the self-healing attributes (and haste o.O) on several of the prot tier 16 pieces im not quite as confident in just running a full ret teir build as the last patch. im 552 ilvl and starting to creep into the 50% haste diminishing return mark so im a little uncertain. several of the ret tier pieces hold brutal amounts of haste/mastery and seem perfect, but i dont want to forgo the 65k hps that the prot 4set can also allow. what are your guys' experiences and/or knowledge on this subject?

Sup guys,

Had a quick question regarding haste tanking builds and the current prot 2 and 4 piece abilities. in 5.3 i ignored all prot tier and ran select ret tier in its place for the static haste and mastery benefits, mostly due to thecks postings regarding the uselessness of both 2 and 4 set prot t15 bonuses. however, after seeing several of the self-healing attributes (and haste o.O) on several of the prot tier 16 pieces im not quite as confident in just running a full ret teir build as the last patch. im 552 ilvl and starting to creep into the 50% haste diminishing return mark so im a little uncertain. several of the ret tier pieces hold brutal amounts of haste/mastery and seem perfect, but i dont want to forgo the 65k hps that the prot 4set can also allow. what are your guys' experiences and/or knowledge on this subject?

Ive actually seen people going for the 2 piece set, and then off-items with haste and mastery on them. i personally went with that, and chose the tier ret chest because of the amount of haste on it.
plus, everywhere i read, it seems that EF and SS are pretty close now, so one shouldn't go blindly with EF for every fight. but thats just my PoV.
Edited by garthvedar

I really don't just make stuff up off the top of my head.

http://www.sacredduty.net/2013/09/25/dousing-the-flame/

EF is still ahead and significantly so with 4p-t16.

Though with the nerf to EF during last weeks hotfix and the fact that thek mentions the increasing strength of SS as the size of hits increase (starting heroics tonight, god help me) i think a 2pc prot tier with haste built in is a clear choice for me. i like that theyve redesigned tanking since the ol' wrath days. theres no longer just a "correct choice". 

Though with the nerf to EF during last weeks hotfix and the fact that thek mentions the increasing strength of SS as the size of hits increase (starting heroics tonight, god help me) i think a 2pc prot tier with haste built in is a clear choice for me. i like that theyve redesigned tanking since the ol' wrath days. theres no longer just a "correct choice". 

On Illidan there are a few high end Pally tanks running around I keep track of to see what my baby pally tank should be doing (535 ish ilvl).  It does seem that a few of them that are pushing through heroics are running 2pc w/ SS.  Its going to be fight dependant obiviously as well as feel and personal choice but I agree with you Skully, its nice to have choices these days.

I really don't just make stuff up off the top of my head.

http://www.sacredduty.net/2013/09/25/dousing-the-flame/

EF is still ahead and significantly so with 4p-t16.

I was having this convo yesterday with a guildy as to why i still use SS, i personally fell that without the 4 set is very close, but i would rather an absorb for x amount rather then a heal for x+5 amount (as the absorb could be the differance between surviving the hit and dying from it in which case the healing tick from EF is useless). I personally (my play style ect ect) suits SS better at the moment and its why i use it.

However once the 4 piece is avalible EF becomes a clear cut winner, hands down no questions asked... however it is still fight dependent!

Just my 2 cents on the matter lol!