FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Enso

BrewMaster Math Problem

Apologies. I know I need to apologise for something. I've been struggling with this a long time.

I main MW and love it. But am trying to get BM going, so I can run new PVE content. Stagger confused me until I realised it has 0 net impact, just leveling out dmg taken, essentially. But when I run tests, the math does not add up. It's likely not really a math problem. But I blame math for most of the worlds problems and tend to be right quite often.

What's wrong with this :

Total damage taken  - (total healing taken + total absorbs + HP regen) = 0

I calculated non-combat regen (stood in lava at my garrison then timed how long it took me to heal). But don't imagine enough difference to combat HP regen to matter.

That is what I would expect...to be able to take my damage taken total and account for it somewhere. But I end up with 30% of my total damage unaccounted for. I have tested without Purifying Brew and in fact without any brew. I have 30% of damage comes in and disappears.

I expect items like armor, dodge, etc. to reduce overall damage taken, thus having no impact. I've checked passives and don't see anything accounting for this disparity.

1 hour ago, Enso said:

Apologies. I know I need to apologise for something. I've been struggling with this a long time.

I main MW and love it. But am trying to get BM going, so I can run new PVE content. Stagger confused me until I realised it has 0 net impact, just leveling out dmg taken, essentially. But when I run tests, the math does not add up. It's likely not really a math problem. But I blame math for most of the worlds problems and tend to be right quite often.

What's wrong with this :

Total damage taken  - (total healing taken + total absorbs + HP regen) = 0

I calculated non-combat regen (stood in lava at my garrison then timed how long it took me to heal). But don't imagine enough difference to combat HP regen to matter.

That is what I would expect...to be able to take my damage taken total and account for it somewhere. But I end up with 30% of my total damage unaccounted for. I have tested without Purifying Brew and in fact without any brew. I have 30% of damage comes in and disappears.

I expect items like armor, dodge, etc. to reduce overall damage taken, thus having no impact. I've checked passives and don't see anything accounting for this disparity.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that Brewmaster double dips on armor. 

What I mean by that is when the boss swings at you, his damage is a set value. Let's say 1000. If you have 40% damage reduction from armour, you'll be hit for 600 (1000 * 0.4 = 400 | 1000 - 400 = 600). Stagger then reduces the initial dent in your health bar by 40%, which means you lose 360 health (600 * 0.4 = 240 | 600 - 240 = 360) from his swing.

Stagger then puts a DoT on you for that remaining 240 damage over 10 seconds, which is 24 damage each second. This DoT is physical, and so gets reduced by your armour in the same way as the initial swing. So instead of losing 24 health each second you lose 14 health (24 * 0.4 = 9.6 | 24 - 9.6 = 14.4) 

Basically this results in you taking a net 500 damage (360 + 140 = 500) instead of 600 like you should have

I'm not 100% sure though, I'm open to corrections. Maybe the Monk Discord can point you towards somebody who knows the math behind it better 

On 11/1/2017 at 9:14 PM, Enso said:

Do you have any thing I can look at in terms of gear? Any trinket that might have proccd?

What about legendaries? Were you using Prydaz for the test?