Stan

Upcoming Stealth Shader Updates from BlizzCon 2017

21 posts in this topic

ZM80ioR.jpg

In the 2018 update, Blizzard's reworking the Stealth shader in Heroes of the Storm. As a result, Nova, Valeera, Samuro and Zeratul get various Hero changes.

Stealth Changes

• It's easier to spot stealthed Heroes now thanks to the new shader.
  • After 1.5 seconds, stealthed Heroes will be completely invisible as long as they remain stationary.
  • Truevision is added to the game and Structures now have the ability to reveal stealthed Heroes.

More details can be found here

New Stealth Shader

bKOCuI0.jpg

Old Stealth Shader

HdaS2Ja.jpg

Here's probably a better screenshot of the update.

YMqjPZ2.jpg

Hero Reworks

Nova

• Snipe MasterSnipe Master is now baseline
  • Nova moves +15% faster while in stealth.
  • She has a new ability to instantly stealth.

MZzlcLq.jpg

Valeera

• Valeera's Cheap ShotCheap Shot now gets a blind.
  • AmbushAmbush teleports her if in stealth for at least 3 seconds.

nZclwY3.jpg

Samuro

• Swap location with images (from Illusion MasterIllusion Master is now baseline [D].
  • No more random placement for his Illusions.
  • Illusions are now weaker and their damage has been moved into Samuro.

uXKMUEr.jpg

Zeratul

• Vorpal BladeVorpal Blade is now baseline.
  • Might of the Nerazim is a new Heroic (replacing Shadow AssaultShadow Assault) - replicate any Basic ability you recently used. It's only on a 15 second cooldown.

uURFrcN.jpg

• Like 1

Nooo.. then my main Valeera go to trash. With this rework everyone will be see stealth and lost it's advantage.

Er... what is the point of stealth then if you can be seen THIS clearly? Totaly trash update.

Edited by MrOger
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrOger said:

Er... what is the point of stealth then if you can be seen THIS clearly? Totaly trash update.

I think the idea is that you aren't meant to sneak up on people anymore (well as long as they're paying close attention).  They want you to ambush instead.  After waiting a second stationary you supposedly become fully invis.  I agree it's not an amazing change (though I also don't think it's that bad from the screen shots, I'll need to wait and see it in game) but the options are either leave it harder to see and nerf the stealth heroes into the ground to make them less threatening or weaken the stealth mechanic a bit and maybe buff the heroes.  It's the price one pays for having an "unfun" mechanic in the game.

Edited by TSRD
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TSRD said:

I think the idea is that you aren't meant to sneak up on people anymore.  They want you to ambush instead.  After waiting a second stationary you supposedly become fully invis.  I agree it's not a great change but the options are either leave it and nerf the stealth heroes into the ground to make them less threatening or weaken stealth and maybe buff the heroes a bit.  It's the price one pays for having an "unfun" mechanic in the game.

What`s the problem with "eye test"? It is actually cool thing even against you. If it is so bad they could tie some skills to stealth itself so they will be weaker if got forced out of stealth to encourage more cautious gameplay form stealthers and more perception from enemies.
But even aside that i believe there can b better solution - just look how Riot handled it with Eve and Shaco (if you not familiar - first one has constant stealth, but it`s more like "map" stealth and she can be seen if she`s too close to heroes/buildings, and second one have invisibility only for a short time after he use his blink, and when he blinks enemy can notice small smoke cloud at the point he blinked from even through fog of war), that`s good ways to balance it.

Edited by MrOger
  • Like 1

The changes to him are reasonable. The illusions have too much potential to (ab)use them atm.

Edited by Caldyrvan

8 hours ago, MrOger said:

Taking Nova as an example, they want you to lie in wait for a hero to get out of position, rather then walk in during the middle of a fight when everyones attention is elsewhere. 

Basically, Stealth is for ambushing, not running around the map and ganking heroes who either aren't paying attention or don't have an easy way to break stealth.

BTW, I say this despite the fact I can't see the stealth in either picture.  I'm REALLY good at spotting it in game, just don't see it in the shots.

EDIT

I see it in the second one now.  wow, that's a massive change.

Edited by gamerk2

The stealth heroes just standing at the entrance of your fort just waiting for a low health hero who wants to retreat to get a cheap kill ... no more of this shi... , I am happy about that :)

9 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

The stealth heroes just standing at the entrance of your fort just waiting for a low health hero who wants to retreat to get a cheap kill ... no more of this shi... , I am happy about that :)

Of course!!! because this is their duty and what a team needs! A Finisher!!! Team needs to finish heroes which escape with low healths and  stealth heroes and some others like Illidan or genji  got this duty

it would be crap if heroes just fight a bit and when they got low or medium health escape the area easily with teleporting/jumping/dashing etc   I'm sure they are destroying the game with doing this! Even if they buff stealth heroes much,they will be useless without their current invisability 

Edited by MZLICH

12 minutes ago, MZLICH said:

they will be useless without their current invisability 

I can't complain about that ;)

21 hours ago, TSRD said:

I think the idea is that you aren't meant to sneak up on people anymore (well as long as they're paying close attention).  They want you to ambush instead.  After waiting a second stationary you supposedly become fully invis.  I agree it's not an amazing change (though I also don't think it's that bad from the screen shots, I'll need to wait and see it in game) but the options are either leave it harder to see and nerf the stealth heroes into the ground to make them less threatening or weaken the stealth mechanic a bit and maybe buff the heroes.  It's the price one pays for having an "unfun" mechanic in the game.

Just watching much SELFISH comments here! About people who can't counter stealths or playing carefully well!  It's totally FUN for me to play sam however I don't like Ana for example! Should I call her unfun or ugh!!!one day she killed me from other side of map with her ult so they should remove it??? No! Because everybody has his/her favorite hero type and it was my bad to get killed by her ult! All should show respect to other people's favorites and try to play better instead!

You are right, mostly. But it's the whole mechanic of stealth that is unfun for the opposing team.

There are reason why ppl are going afk right away when they see a stealth in the other team or are simply not as motivated anymore to play that match. And not to mention all "nerf xy stealth hero" threats. I am not saying they are all right and not all have good reasons but they can't be all wrong either :)

And plz don't say then you have to play more careful etc. Ofc when I am in a lane alone with only minions I should be able to spot a stealthed hero, but in the heat of battle, between minions, heroes, ability effects, bushes etc. it's just pointless.

Edited by Caldyrvan

3 hours ago, MZLICH said:

No! Because everybody has his/her favorite hero type and it was my bad to get killed by her ult! All should show respect to other people's favorites and try to play better instead!

That's why I put "s around "unfun" because I'm simply saying what others have called it, not how I feel.  Believe me, I have absolutely zero problems with so called "unfun" mechanics.  That said, you and I are not the ones Blizzard is trying to please.

23 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

With this change this is exactly what's going to happen, since stealthed heroes become nearly invisible when standing still for a few seconds.

Blizzard clearly has no idea about their game. Squishy melees Valeera and Zeratul are on the bottom of the winrate list? Ok, let's turn them into complete shit by making them more visible!

Nova and Samuro are on the top of the winrate? Ok, let's make them more visible too! What, Nova's range and Samuro's blink/copies swapping make this less of a nerf? Whatever, HotS players are used to retarded hero reworks.

I agree that heroes are too visible with this update but the way it is now is just too hard to spot. I have to strain my eyes just to follow stealth heroes and that's without the chaos of a teamfight. In that compare shot with Jaina I simply cannot see Zeratul... that's just not fair, I even know where to look. Maybe my color blindness has something to do with it but even if that's the case, that's a rather large population to ignore. Referring to red-green deficiency.

Edited by Warper

At the moment it's not an "eye test", but rather who has the most powerful machine. Not impressed with the changes anyway, it's a complicated solution for the simple problem, just delete Nova from existence and forget that creature ever plagued the nexus.

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2017 at 7:44 PM, Warper said:

I agree that heroes are too visible with this update but the way it is now is just too hard to spot. I have to strain my eyes just to follow stealth heroes and that's without the chaos of a teamfight. In that compare shot with Jaina I simply cannot see Zeratul... that's just not fair, I even know where to look. Maybe my color blindness has something to do with it but even if that's the case, that's a rather large population to ignore. Referring to red-green deficiency.

The first picture seems to be insanely more difficult to spot though. I am someone that can confidently spot a moving stealth hero every time when playing, even more so when I am looking for them. In that photo, I can't see a thing. It's a really unfair representation of the mechanic and, with the new update, you might as well not have stealth as a mechanic. It's now equivalent to Li-Ming's Archon form, where you basically have a different skin put onto you and some of your spells are more powerful, but you're incredibly easy to kill.

It's no longer stealth. It's just grey-mode.