FORUMS

Manners

The topic doesn't fit 100% here, but I wanted to create it nevertheless.

I wanted to talk about manners, especially about guests.

At the moment I am at a point where I say to myself: Fuck every question a guest asks.

Why should I invest time and answer him?

In 90% the guest won't even post a short thank you or a remark if it the answer was helpful.

Is it just me? Am I just expecting too much? In which kind of society do we live were a simple thank you to an answer resembles something like a new world wonder?

Maybe I'm just focusing on the guests that come back after answering their question or replying to their comment, but I feel like there are so many of them, more than those that never reply back. 

I don't reply because of the thanks I receive afterwards (though it does feel rewarding), but rather because I like helping the community. If they read it and don't reply thanks, I am still happy because I helped a member of the gaming community. If they don't come back because they forgot that they had posted a question, then I can't really blame them for not saying thanks. If it's the thanks that makes you feel good, then I can't really argue against the first case.

• Like 2

Funny,  I feel the same as Wedge as well as positiv2 :D

I can understand how Wedge feels but nevertheless if I can post a helpful answer I do it.

It does not really matter if it's a guest or a registered user. At the end of the day, we're a community and we're here to help each other, as long as questions are relevant and feedback is constructive. Guests may oftentimes provide valuable feedback, why would we not answer their questions? Sometimes, they're interested in the rationale behind our guides, so we're here to answer that as well.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, positiv2 said:

I don't reply because of the thanks I receive afterwards (though it does feel rewarding), but rather because I like helping the community.

It isn't about ranks (if they just post a "thx" without quote or anything that's definitly enough for me) - and the point is if I get 0 response I have no idea if I have helped.

Was my answer easy to understand? Was my guide / hints whatever I wrote helpful or is it just something that worked for me and nobody else?

Without any response I have no idea if what I said was actuall helpful or if it was just flawed.

And what do I do next time? Post the same thing that eventually isn't a help at all and I am just wasting the time of the one who has asked the question?

But maybe I am just too oldfashioned, I won't deny that :)

The initial reason why we enable guest posting in some section is to allow people who want to post feedback to do it without feeling obliged to create an account. If someone is asking for advice as a guest, the normal thing to do would be to ask them to create an account and post a new thread in the appropriate forum :)