FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

Just came back to the Warlock for SoO, would like DPS advice

Hi there, friendly Warlock council! For the first time since vanilla, I am back playing my Warlock, and absolutely loving it. The change came about simply for raid composition purposes, but I am glad for it, because I didn't realize just how much I missed playing with demon pets instead of undead ones. I've been reading these forums on the regular, and checking through the guides to model my playstyle, and I was just hoping to get some advice on ways I can improve. I am consistently top 3 in my guild DPS< but since we are having trouble pushing pass Galakras, my own personal improvement is all I can do to help push further.

My Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Eddie/advanced

My Log from Sha of Pride this week: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ilyomzawhx76y2sq/details/5/?s=1886&e=2350

Thanks for the advice you've all already given me in the past two months I've been lurking!

Too too too much Rain of Fire.  It's not optimal to spam in single-target.  You have over 1,200 total instances of RoF damage compared to my 158 on the same fight.  I drop them when the adds come out and that's about it.  Unless nobody in your raid is actually focusing the adds and they leave it to you, which is not recommended.

Your Chaos Bolt damage is very high though.  I can't help but wonder if you asked your raid to not kill the adds so you have an Ember battery.  :P

First off, welcome back.

Second off, never compare your DPS to your raid.  Saying you are your guild's best can be equivalent as saying "I'm the best in the world" or "I'm a big fish in a small pond."  Everyone in the raid has a job, and comparing them side by side is an error.  You are ALWAYS to compare yourself to yourself and other Warlocks in similar roles.

That said, here we go:

Norushen

-your Doomguard did 100k damage.  You didn't get him out in time.  ALWAYS make sure he's popped at the beginning or at the end with sufficient time to get all his casts in.

-you have a relatively high uptime with Rain of Fire.  This should no longer be maintained single target DPS unless you have a Haste proc such as Tempus Repit and Bloodlust AND the target will be hit by every tick. 

All notes on Norushen are a little invalid.  I notice your group incurred the 'bug' that is currently going on with Norushen.  For instance, your Jade Serpent Potion uptime was 99.9%, or 415 seconds.  This is logically impossible, but is known to be either a bug in the combat logs (not likely) or a bug in the encounter (my prediction) in which getting Purified (looks like you went first based on your DPS graph) continuously refreshes your buffs.  Your Dark Soul, Toxic Power, and potion uptimes were impossibly high.  Your DPS is inflated because of this.  It's not a well-known bug and I just let the cat out of the bag, but yeah...there's the proof in someone else's log.

Sha of Pride

-Rain of Fire again - you're putting a high emphasis on this spell and you shouldn't be.

Everything else looks good.  Get your legendary cloak and things will be rocking even better.  Just de-emphasize Rain of Fire and spend those globals with Incinerate.

Awesome, thanks for the help! Actually, the reason I have so many Chaos Bolts is because of those adds, my group is not the best at AoEing them down quickly, so I get a lot of RoF ticks on them, for a lot of free embers. When they drop, I pretty much alternate between Chaos Bolt and RoF till they die. As for the legendary cloak, I just got access to Titan Runestones last week, and pulled up 6 of 'em, so if my luck hold's I'll have it by the end of this week. If not, I should get it early next week.

I also have no clue why the Doomguard did so little damage, he was pulled at 50% when we popped Lust. Unless he got confused by my switching of targets and just decided not to cast.

It was actually a comparison to another lock on this forum that lead to my inquiring on how to improve, since someone of similar ilvl to me posted recently, and they were beating me out by nearly 50k per fight.

Edited by Eddie

I also have no clue why the Doomguard did so little damage, he was pulled at 50% when we popped Lust. Unless he got confused by my switching of targets and just decided not to cast.

Your Doomguard is innately a stupid demon.  He will come out ready to destroy your most recently hit target.  Once that target expires, instead of helping you with your next kill, he tries to tell you about his childhood, why his mom didn't treat him well, and why his dad didn't love him.  He stands there dying for your attention, pleading for you to stop killing and just love him.  After a few seconds, he gives up, makes a dramatic flop on the ground, and becomes distant for 9 minutes. 

Make sure the thing you are hitting when you summon him will be alive the full minute.  Programming FTW.

That is a hilarious reply, and it will make sure that I always focus the main boss instead of an add. Thanks for the laugh.

Just want to say, after running Sha of Pride again this week, I gained 9k dps just from the advice you guys gave me. I hit 30 more incinerates over the kill than I did last week, and it made quite a difference!