FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Dronkul

Frost DPS?!

So, I took a break after the drop of Tos, guild fell apart etc. etc. and I came back to seeing the changes with our talent tree. At the moment I lack the legendaries/gear and knowledge to run UH reasonably and I love Frost too much. Anyway, I'm here to ask what are you guys (anyone out there in the cosmos that might still play frost) doing during Oblit. what are your priorities with a Rime proc when you're approaching RP cap... I'm feeling solid with where I'm at I just want to clean up my rotation during obliteration. I don't have anyone to run with to post recent logs but here's my armory!: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/stormrage/dronkul

Thanks for the response!

I'm probably pulling up an alt for now and running this one for AH and Blood farming, but what have you guys been doing since the decimation of our class?

Don't be afraid to overcap RP during Obliteration basically.

Use Rime as #1 priority still, that hasn't changed, weave FS only when you need KM on the cheap 1 rune Obliterates.. etc.

I would drop T19 as soon as you can, the procs just aren't that useful anymore.. the stat differential between those items and what you can get via weekly chest/argus is massive.

The belt + Murderous Efficiency is giving you a lot of runes, you may find that you can run Freezing Fog and remain fluid.

If you don't have Cold Heart replace the belt when you do.

Also, unless you go Breath in the last tier, replace the CoF with a haste stat stick or something with a haste proc.

The class isn't decimated per se, we're just a bit behind Unholy in certain circumstances.

Frost and Unholy are actually really close to eachother. With the next tier frost will most likely out perform unholy cause of better tier set(atleast in PTR it seems that way).

As for rotation do what Browed says. I dont recommend taking Breath since thats only usefull in very few fights.

As for Cold Heart vs the belt. You have to sim and test urself in game to see if its actually better. I know alot of ppl say it is but when I sim and use I loose about 40k dps. It could be because im also loosing my 4 set with the chest piece but to me Cold Heart seems over rated. Plus with the new tier the belt will do better.

2 hours ago, Blainie said:

*eye twitches*

Cold.png

Like I said, during testing and simming its lower than the belt for me. I simply dont see how to improve it.

Edited by alleraz

20 hours ago, alleraz said:

Like I said, during testing and simming its lower than the belt for me. I simply dont see how to improve it.

Yeah, I know, I just thought it was a funny sentence when the leaderboards look like that xD

I assume you're simming it ST?

19 minutes ago, Blainie said:

Yeah, I know, I just thought it was a funny sentence when the leaderboards look like that xD

I assume you're simming it ST?

Yes. I set the sim on a raid dummy for best possible ST dps. The only reason why I might be doing less dps with the chest is for the fact I loose my 4 set with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alleraz said:

Yes. I set the sim on a raid dummy for best possible ST dps. The only reason why I might be doing less dps with the chest is for the fact I loose my 4 set with it.

Oh, yeah, that's very likely why. If you find another piece, I'm sure it'll go back up to top priority for you.

45 minutes ago, Blainie said:

Oh, yeah, that's very likely why. If you find another piece, I'm sure it'll go back up to top priority for you.

Wouldn't that be a bit redundant though? I mean the next tier is 2 weeks away and with it ill loose the 4 set anyways.

Edited by alleraz

2 minutes ago, alleraz said:

Wouldn't that be a bit redundant though? I mean the next tier is 2 weeks away and with it ill loose the 4 set anyways.

Of course, but if it does drop, it will. Next tier it will likely remain BiS and let you build T21 around it.

I'm speculating that the only legendary that remains top dog is the bracers... the rest will be spec/situation linked to a lesser or greater degree.

My secondary is currently Sephuz due to the +crit & +haste proc being so good for burst cleave (spam unbuffed (non-KM) Frostscythe for the win). Admittedly M+ spec but I do still go Cold Heart if Tyrannical becomes an issue.

I'm mostly looking forward to the T21 +15% for Frostscythe, the +15% for Howling Blast is nice but minor now due to the proc rate from Scythe, we're already in a situation where single target strikes from it (and Frost Strike) are above Obliterate (again!).

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Pf4GwZdmJRKjTCDt#fight=1&type=damage-done&source=4

^^ Look at this PTR test to see how hard Frost Strike hits compared to Obliterate WITH the +15% to Obliterate active (T21 x 4)

Scaling déja vu, what is it.. just two major patches since we had the same issue?

Cold as Ice + Nothing but the Boots are my focus for relics due to the shift towards frost damage that a HB + Frostscythe bonus brings.. maybe even Cold as Ice across the board.

4 hours ago, Browed said:

I'm speculating that the only legendary that remains top dog is the bracers... the rest will be spec/situation linked to a lesser or greater degree.

My secondary is currently Sephuz due to the +crit & +haste proc being so good for burst cleave (spam unbuffed (non-KM) Frostscythe for the win). Admittedly M+ spec but I do still go Cold Heart if Tyrannical becomes an issue.

I'm mostly looking forward to the T21 +15% for Frostscythe, the +15% for Howling Blast is nice but minor now due to the proc rate from Scythe, we're already in a situation where single target strikes from it (and Frost Strike) are above Obliterate (again!).

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Pf4GwZdmJRKjTCDt#fight=1&type=damage-done&source=4

^^ Look at this PTR test to see how hard Frost Strike hits compared to Obliterate WITH the +15% to Obliterate active (T21 x 4)

Scaling déja vu, what is it.. just two major patches since we had the same issue?

Cold as Ice + Nothing but the Boots are my focus for relics due to the shift towards frost damage that a HB + Frostscythe bonus brings.. maybe even Cold as Ice across the board.

Frostscyth still wont be that good in ST cause of the low proc chances it has.

Right now Frost strike does more damage then Obli (not including the 100% chance on crystallized swords) but I do less dps with frostscythe cause of the much less rime procs and the fact it also only procs crystallized swords half the time compared to Obli (which adds on average 200- 300k damage to OBli in fact if u add that to Obli on the logs obli still does more dps then FS, the 7.11% one im assuming) . You have to take in that account that FSc on ST just isnt that good now and wont be with the new teir gear cause of the lower proc chances which do make a noticeable difference, specially when the tier gear also increases HB damage which makes rime even more valuable.

Also I dont think the 2 set even effects frostscyth. It doesnt say it does and since the belt dont and the fact FsC doesn't actually replace OBl (two separate abilities) I doubt it will.

Edited by alleraz

I should have stressed that my focus is on M+.

Yes I am aware ST is not going to change a great deal with the T21/legendary combinations but a lot is still very much not nailed down yet, as you say .. there are multiple versions of the T21 bonus set on different datamining sites some have Frostscythe included, others don't.

The future is definitely optimistic for Frost I would say, especially due to the strength of the T21 x 4 in it's PTR form.

On 11/15/2017 at 4:47 AM, Browed said:

I should have stressed that my focus is on M+.

Yes I am aware ST is not going to change a great deal with the T21/legendary combinations but a lot is still very much not nailed down yet, as you say .. there are multiple versions of the T21 bonus set on different datamining sites some have Frostscythe included, others don't.

The future is definitely optimistic for Frost I would say, especially due to the strength of the T21 x 4 in it's PTR form.

They nerfed the 4 set... after buffing it. Dont even know why they buffed it in the first place, shoulda left it alone. Though it was hitting pretty hard so I shouldnt be shocked.

Edited by alleraz

12 hours ago, alleraz said:

They nerfed the 4 set... after buffing it. Dont even know why they buffed it in the first place, shoulda left it alone. Though it was hitting pretty hard so I shouldnt be shocked.

That's a pretty heavy nerf too. 420% to 210% - ouch.

34 minutes ago, Blainie said:

That's a pretty heavy nerf too. 420% to 210% - ouch.

Well it was doing close to 10% overall damage so it wasnt really shocking why it was nerfed hard. I just dont get why they buffed it in a couple of patchs prior if they where just gonna nerf it later on. Still better than Unholys set though, they have to pretty much change that teir set to make it good or atleast as good as their t20 set while frost t21, even with the nerf, is noticeably better than their t20. Ill take 15% straight up damage to 2 of my main abilities then a what maybe 50% increase in Death Coil overall damage(full teir set)? DC  doesnt do has much as HB can and even when its in like the top 4 in terms of damage it still generally far behind DA and VP when Obli and HB, with the obliteration build, can be really close to each  other in the top 3 damaging abilities.

IDK just talking to alot of unholy players they seem not to happy with the teir set atleast when they compare it to t20. Also could be the reason blizz is trying to buff it, even though it wont help much.

Im still curious if they plan to actually bring out class balance chances with the raid cause so far alot of stuff on PTR for class balance, that was suppose to be in for raid, hasn't manifest yet. It would make since to get that out at the same time as the raid.

Edited by alleraz