FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Deathclaw98

Pve gear in pvp?

I've been wondering for a while... Would you be stronger in pvp with pve gear? If you got another set of great pve gear and threw in some pvp power and resil. with your normal gems would you do more damage and take less? When I saw that conquest gear had less pvp power than the honor gear, I was confused. Would something like this work, or even work better? Could tanks have 900+K health like in pvp?(I'm DPS by the way.)

This doesnt work for multiple reasons. First, all pve gear scales down to ilvl 496 in arena (same ilvl as tyrannical). Grievous gear now has 528 i believe (somewhere around there). So Grievous gear is way better than any pve gear. Also, if you use any two pvp trinkets now, you get an extra 10% resil. Pvp resil and power got nerfed so gemming them doesnt give enough stats. That being said you still want the stats from the pvp gear. The tyrannical weapon for example is about 15% pvp power. Right now im around 33% I believe which is def useful. So all in all, unless you are using a blue piece of gear (like the crafted pieces) or possibly malevolent, just use pvp gear for pvp. Farm honor and get full tyrannical and you will be good.

(Ps. I actually dont know if pve gear scales down in normal bg's. I was assuming you were talking about higher level stuff like arenas and rated bgs. There is a chance if you were just looking to do only normal bgs for fun that you could use pve gear.)

You can read about PvP gear and PvP stats in our recently released guide on the PvP basics (Especially the "PvP Power / PvP Resilience" and "Downscaling" sections).

Roided is mostly right, but Grievous gear is actually item level 522 and the downscaling also applies in normal Battlegrounds. You want Tyrannical gear over PvE gear with the same item level, because PvP Power and PvP Resilience are free stats, meaning they do not count towards the item budget, so a PvP item has "more" stats than a PvE item of the same level.

but having 2 pvp trinkets really only ups resilience by ~2.5%, so arent there some trinkets from pve that would be better? theres a stam trinket with a huge on use crit that seems like it would be good and i would imagine any class with cd reduction trinkets would be better than most pvp trinks.

Well, first of all, stamina is pretty useless in PvP, so the trinket you mentioned fails the test right away, unless the crit bonus is exceptionally high - which can not be true, as the item level restricts the amount of stats a trinket can give. Also remember that currently, all items except PvP items are scaled down to item level 500 (as we are in week 5) in Battlegrounds and Arena, so there is a very high probability that the additional 2.3% resilience outweighs any PvE trinket.

Do the PvE tier bonuses work in arena?

I had to dig a bit and I still can not find a definite answer. Based on a tweet from Holinka they do not work, but I could not find that change in the official 5.4 (and subsequent) patch notes. They might have simply forgotten to add it, or they threw away the notion during PTR testing. It is more likely that PvE set bonuses are still disabled, though, as they want(ed) to make PvP gear actually the best in PvP.

I had the same problem about not being able to find a definite answer, but thanks for checking it out!
I'll go check it out and see what happens

I had the same problem about not being able to find a definite answer, but thanks for checking it out!

I'll go check it out and see what happens

Make sure to tell us once you found the answer! :D