FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
FreddyJ

Questions about arcane mage stats

After an absence of 2+ years I've returned to WoW to find a game that I have to relearn, and I have some questions regarding arcane mage stats and things.

1. Hit rating/cap is 15%, yet in paragraph 2.2. Hit Cap, it states that at level 90, most races require 5,100 hit rating to reach the spell cap (or less, depending on the racial skill). Could someone please explain the relationship between the 15% cap and the 5,100 cap number. Does the hit cap really go from 15% to 5,100 when leveling from 85 to 90?

2. I noticed there were no percentages/numbers for the caps in mastery; haste; or critical strike. Are these numbers unlimited? My mage has 6.01% haste; 14.89% critical chance; 30.89% mastery. Are any of these numbers to high or low, and what should I shoot for?  Should I reforge some of them?

3. My mage has 330 spirit - can I reforge all that to another stat?

4. Question about Living Bomb - I take it that placing more than one bomb in one enemy doesn't result in increased damage, or you can't do it because it will overwrite the previous living bomb you place there?

5. Rune power. Putting down two instances of rune power, does that result in an increase of mana regeneration and or damage? If not, would it not be better to place one, and keep the other in reserve in case you have to move to another spot.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

PS: This is a fantastic website with a wealth of knowledge.

1. Hit cap of 15% means hit chance of 15%.  Hit rating (along with expertise rating if you're a caster) is the points you have from gear, gems, etc.. and contribute to raising your hit chance.  340 hit rating = 1% hit chance, hence you need 5100 hit rating to = 15% hit chance.
  2. No need to worry about that till you get into a raiding situation (and higher gear level).  The simple answer is no.  You can stack Hit (to cap) > Mastery > Haste > Crit  and be fine.
  3. Not if you don't have gear with Spirit on it.  330 is probably just your characters base Spirit.
  4. You can place living bomb on up to 3 targets at one time.  If the targets are spread out, then yes by all means do that.  If the targets are grouped together you will be better off taking Nether Tempest as your bomb choice.  (You'll get used to picking on a per encounter basis)
  5. It doesn't :)  Before an encounter begins you will want to place 2.  One to stand in and the second to go to, in case a boss ability gives you need to move.  When you cast it a 3rd time, the first one you put down simply disappears.  Periodically throughout the encounter you will have to place a new Rune down due to movement or because a previous one has ran out.  When possible you want to try to place these during down times (when you're not dpsing the boss) or during non-burn phases.  With practice you'll start to learn the best times to cast and place them.

Good luck and welcome back!  biggrin.png

• Like 1

1. Hit cap of 15% means hit chance of 15%.  Hit rating (along with expertise rating if you're a caster) is the points you have from gear, gems, etc.. and contribute to raising your hit chance.  340 hit rating = 1% hit chance, hence you need 5100 hit rating to = 15% hit chance.
  2. No need to worry about that till you get into a raiding situation (and higher gear level).  The simple answer is no.  You can stack Hit (to cap) > Mastery > Haste > Crit  and be fine.
  3. Not if you don't have gear with Spirit on it.  330 is probably just your characters base Spirit.
  4. You can place living bomb on up to 3 targets at one time.  If the targets are spread out, then yes by all means do that.  If the targets are grouped together you will be better off taking Nether Tempest as your bomb choice.  (You'll get used to picking on a per encounter basis)
  5. It doesn't smile.png  Before an encounter begins you will want to place 2.  One to stand in and the second to go to, in case a boss ability gives you need to move.  When you cast it a 3rd time, the first one you put down simply disappears.  Periodically throughout the encounter you will have to place a new Rune down due to movement or because a previous one has ran out.  When possible you want to try to place these during down times (when you're not dpsing the boss) or during non-burn phases.  With practice you'll start to learn the best times to cast and place them.

Good luck and welcome back!  biggrin.png

Thanks for all the kind words.

When I expand my character information and go to the Spell box, and run my cursor over Hit Chance, it says: Hit Chance + 15.20% Hit 1455 (+14.20% hit chance).

Is that 1455 number the number that will increase to 5100?  I just need to know where to find it.

Thanks again.

Yes, if you're below lvl 90 the stat scaling is different than the factor I gave you.  You won't have to worry about stats or reforging at all until you are 90.