SamySosah

Low DPS - HELP!!

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys, i'm coming to all my fellow shamans as a last resort, i don't seem to understand were I've gone wrong. I've been maining my Ele Shaman for several months now, and I've followed every instruction with guides. My stat priority is on point, my gear considerably good. (942) at the moment. I've tried every build with multiple bosses etc. My simulator show i should be nearing 2M dps on fights. Yet when i'm fighting i'm around 850k. I don't know if this is because of all the movements, but like i mentioned above I've tried Ice fury build for movement fights. When i'm practicing and testing rotations on dummy's my numbers seem, to be ok. Does anyone have tricks, tips, or pointers on what'll take to achieve the damage i need. I watch others with same builds, with less gear pulling great numbers. I know elemental isn't the best for Single Target, but my last fight on maiden i pulled 700k DPS :( !!!! As far as AOE, no problem there. Numbers are outstanding on trash etc. Thanks for taking the time to ready this. 

Armour Link - https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/turalyon/foogus

Goroth log link - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/w4HFNdmXMJLPfkrt/#fight=last

Edited by SamySosah

The only thing I can think of is maybe you're not spending your maelstrom enough?  Are you finding yourself at cap maelstrom and not spending it on your Earth Shocks?  In a perfect world you could fit in a couple more Elemental Blasts (you cast 15, and a perfect amount of casts would be 18), but I don't really see where you'd be losing 200-300k dps just from the logs.

Without advanced logging enabled, I can't see your resource management on the logs, but that's really the only thing I can see other than just not chaining your casts properly.

I looked up similar parses to yours using the convenient feature on Warcraft Logs and found an ele shaman with similar ilvl and fight length, but with considerably more DPS.  My advice is look through his talents, gear, and spellcasts and see where they differ from yours.  Maybe there's something you can farm up or a change you can make to your rotation to simulate what he does differently?

I'm at work so I can't get too in-depth as to what I find in it, but just a cursory glance shows me he has about 40% more Lava Burst casts, which could be a fairly huge factor!  He is using Echo of the Elements, so you could try using that talent.  He has a relatively similarly fewer number of Lightning Bolt casts, so it looks like he is getting that many more Lava Bursts instead of Lightning Bolts.

Just some recommendations to try out.  I used to play a good bit of Elemental Shaman, but I do recognize things have changed some since I played, so my ideas may not be perfect.  But my best guess is it comes down to legendaries, combat potions (Prolonged Power) and talent choices.  Take that as you will!

10 hours ago, TheMusicMeister said:

The only thing I can think of is maybe you're not spending your maelstrom enough?  Are you finding yourself at cap maelstrom and not spending it on your Earth Shocks?  In a perfect world you could fit in a couple more Elemental Blasts (you cast 15, and a perfect amount of casts would be 18), but I don't really see where you'd be losing 200-300k dps just from the logs.

Without advanced logging enabled, I can't see your resource management on the logs, but that's really the only thing I can see other than just not chaining your casts properly.

I looked up similar parses to yours using the convenient feature on Warcraft Logs and found an ele shaman with similar ilvl and fight length, but with considerably more DPS.  My advice is look through his talents, gear, and spellcasts and see where they differ from yours.  Maybe there's something you can farm up or a change you can make to your rotation to simulate what he does differently?

I'm at work so I can't get too in-depth as to what I find in it, but just a cursory glance shows me he has about 40% more Lava Burst casts, which could be a fairly huge factor!  He is using Echo of the Elements, so you could try using that talent.  He has a relatively similarly fewer number of Lightning Bolt casts, so it looks like he is getting that many more Lava Bursts instead of Lightning Bolts.

Just some recommendations to try out.  I used to play a good bit of Elemental Shaman, but I do recognize things have changed some since I played, so my ideas may not be perfect.  But my best guess is it comes down to legendaries, combat potions (Prolonged Power) and talent choices.  Take that as you will!

Thank you so much for your reply, i currently have soul of farseer which allows 2 talents so i took echo aswell as elemental here is advanced log with icefury run. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/89YGJBHKVaqvXgbT/#type=summary&source=6&fight=last

Edited by SamySosah

Posting this here for reference to anyone else looking to help:

• It's a really short fight, so that's great for pushing DPS numbers (you spend a higher % of time with your cooldowns up.
  • You missed 3 Elemental Blast casts over the course of the fight. Realistically, in a fight this short, you'll miss 1 due to priorities when casting, but try to always cast it when available.
  • Your opener could do with some adjustment. You cast EB at 6 seconds, rather than precasting it at -2 seconds. It's a wasted GCD in that opening stage.
  • Always try to open with Lava Burst, then use Flame Shock before it lands. It's a better use of opening GCDs.
  • Always try to snapshot Flame Shock with your Elemental Focus whenever you can. You miss out on it a lot, wasting the proc on things like Lightning Bolt.
  • When you are playing with Icefury, it's normally suggested not to use Storm Elemental Totem. Try to run Echo of the Elements instead.
  • When you use your Elemental, cast it before the fight starts so it's not wasting a GCD. This is normally done at -3 seconds.

This was sent in the PM about his Icefury log.

• Like 1