FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Alivianna

[Resto] Please help me improve my hps

Hello everyone, my guild has been progressing through heroic Antorus this week, I am finding my hps consistently lower than other healers in my guild. Could you analyze my combat log to help me improve? Thank you so much.

This is my combat log from heroic Antorus  (Antoran High Command):

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/VZaBD1J4rmTbK

I am still wearing 4T20 right now. I am using sotf ring + Velen's ( I found this combo gave me the highest hps with 4T20). I plan to switch sotf ring with Prydaz as soon as I get some T21 pieces (I think Prydaz is great for progression, and it has some good synergy with 2T21).

I have been playing resto since the beginning of legion. I used to top hps meters in emerald nightmare & night hold. Resto was nerfed before TOS was released, but we could still manage to keep up with the other healers. I always found resto druid lacking in utility, but we make up for it with strong raw healing numbers.

I understand that healing is a lot more complicated than just hps rankings, but I always thought I didn't bring anything to the raid except raw healing ... and now I struggle to keep up my hps, and it is incredibly disheartening.

Please analyze my combat log to help me improve my hps. Thank you very much for your help with this, I appreciate it.

Edited by Alivianna

Hi there,

I had a look a brief look at your AHC kill, CD usage was pretty good, and you're way better at efflo than I am (rip). You can save mana if you cut back on casting regrowth (except when you have a clearcasting proc), around half of your regrowths were cast without a proc. Mana usage wasn't too bad, but you could have held a bit more for later in the fight. I'm guessing you used an Ancient Mana Potion based on the resource graph... but it's really easy to fit a leytorrent in on AHC as damage spikes are very predictable (when fusillade is coming out, or when the group is moving from place to place if you know your guys like to run through bombs).

Another thing I noticed was you've stacked mastery really high but your build doesn't do much to take advantage of that: you haven't taken germination (I would with a raid size <20), you don't have cenarion ward, and you're not wearing legendary shoulders (or T19, but that era is ending).

I'd suggest trying out germination, increasing crit a bit (probably at least 8k with antorus stats), vers to at least 4k (you get high return on early investment), and i'd agree with moving away from soul ring (prydaz, shoulders or chameleon song all work)

Hopefully this is helpful, but you're not doing too badly from what I've seen, GL!

-Sere

Edited by sereyn
reread and revised

General notes from all fights:

• I understand you want to hold Velen's for specific points, but you're wasting it constantly. There are pulls where you cast it twice out of a possible 6 times. 
  • Your cooldown management in general is pretty poor. Missing out 1 cast due to holding is fine, missing out 60-80% of a spells possible casts are not. This goes for Innervate, Essence of G'Hanir, Flourish, Tranquility, Barkskin, Ironbark. If you're casting Flourish twice out of a possible seven times, it's probably not worth taking.
  • On the Efflo point above, it's good on most, but other spells uptime is not as good. You have fights where your Lifebloom uptime is below 20%.  
  • The Regrowth point is fair. There are pulls where you have 100% of Regrowths cast without Clearcasting. That should not be happening. 
  • Make sure you're using Innervate properly. Try to improve your mana spending during the Inn phase, as well as make sure not to cap out while Innervate is up. It was only for a short while, but you did cap out on a few pulls for 1-2 seconds.
  • If you're ending fights with 80+% mana, you can start throwing out more healing during the fight. That's way too much to be ending the fight on, or the content is far too easy. If so, start running farm talents.

Those are very good points. Some of those fights were normal mode or not a lot of damage going out. There wasn't much to heal, I didn’t get to use many CDs and in hindsight should have used farming talent for them.

I feel that heroic AHC (the log I posted) was the first fight that we sustained consistent heavy raid wide damage, but my hps was still low, and I was severely oom in the end. I will take you & Severyn’s advice to heart and start working on areas to improve myself. Thank you both for taking your time to help me out : )

Edited by Alivianna

On 12/4/2017 at 9:00 AM, sereyn said:

Hi there,

I had a look a brief look at your AHC kill, CD usage was pretty good, and you're way better at efflo than I am (rip). You can save mana if you cut back on casting regrowth (except when you have a clearcasting proc), around half of your regrowths were cast without a proc. Mana usage wasn't too bad, but you could have held a bit more for later in the fight. I'm guessing you used an Ancient Mana Potion based on the resource graph... but it's really easy to fit a leytorrent in on AHC as damage spikes are very predictable (when fusillade is coming out, or when the group is moving from place to place if you know your guys like to run through bombs).

Update:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6Fh4m3DKpQNG7J8n#fight=7&type=healing

Just did another heroic Antorus run with my guild. I bought some leytorrent potion, wore crit gear for this run, dropped my haste a bit, and changed my ring enchants to versatility. I also switched to germination like you suggested. There was definitely a big difference in my healing output. You sir are a genius, thank you so much!  I will probably take a look at my addon next like you suggested on discord, thanks ^ ^ 

Edited by Alivianna

To be honest I wouldn't worry about hps too much, the important thing is that you keep people alive and your raid team kills the boss. That said the other comments in the thread provide useful tips on efficiency, it's just that hps isn't the most important part of being a healer :)

On 12/7/2017 at 9:05 AM, Taulus said:

To be honest I wouldn't worry about hps too much, the important thing is that you keep people alive and your raid team kills the boss. That said the other comments in the thread provide useful tips on efficiency, it's just that hps isn't the most important part of being a healer :)

High HPS can mean needing one less healer, which means faster kills, though. So it's definitely something important, especially if your DPS are struggling.

Hey there!

I don't know if you still find this relevant, but i'd like to give my 2 cents. Your WG healing should never outheal your RJ on bossfights. You're casting it too much, hence you're also oom at 2/3rds into the fight. With the SoTF ring i get that it's tempting, but you can only get away with it on short bossfights. Also the SoTF ring isn't great with the talents you're running. Do you have anything else you could use? Prydaz, shoulders (they're still decent if youre running germ) or even the helm for some constant throughput fights. Aside from that i would go for a bit more haste and a bit less crit personally, but you can make that work.

Hope this helps!

5 hours ago, Liw said:

Hey there!

I don't know if you still find this relevant, but i'd like to give my 2 cents. Your WG healing should never outheal your RJ on bossfights. You're casting it too much, hence you're also oom at 2/3rds into the fight. With the SoTF ring i get that it's tempting, but you can only get away with it on short bossfights. Also the SoTF ring isn't great with the talents you're running. Do you have anything else you could use? Prydaz, shoulders (they're still decent if youre running germ) or even the helm for some constant throughput fights. Aside from that i would go for a bit more haste and a bit less crit personally, but you can make that work.

Hope this helps!

Hi Liw, thank you for your input! I just got 4T21 this week; I have moved on from sotf ring to Prydaz+Velen combo, which is a relief because I honestly wasn't a fan of prosperity/sotf playstyle. I am pretty impressed with T21 so far :D Thanks! 

• Like 1