FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sanity

Frost Mage Versatility

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the game so bare with me. :D

I play as a Frost Mage and I prioritised the wrong attributes since I've been told that I should get my crit to 33% asap. I was asking myself why I do less dps than people under my gear score, my rotations are good. Apperantly I just miss the versatility that I completly ignored and thats the only reason for such a low dps. From what I saw most of the Items have only small amount of versatility or none at all. So how can I get this attribute up fast? Whats the best thing to do? I hope it's not just doing WQ in Argus and hoping for a good loot from Argonite merchant.

Here are my gear and stats https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/malfurion/xanno

I can add combatlog soon if you want, but like I said, my rotations have been tested and they are fine.

Thank you in advance.

Hallu Dabria here.
Some tips and changes.

Without logs it's hard, it could be you wasting some fingers of frost.  But with that build you are running having 2 haste stat trinkets, is really bad.  The only way haste stat trinkets can be used is if you run glacial spike. Your versa, yes, could be higher but it would only make 100k max more DPS if anything. I would go maybe more crit or mastery instead of haste with that build 30% haste maybe 35% crit and around 40% mastery... with versa above 7%. Something like that.

But I personally like the glacial spike build a lot more. The burst is amazing also the DPS is easy to learn and even better when you master it. The cleave DPS is perfect and I like having a "rotation" rather than depending my DPS on fingers of frost procs. 

That's what I have right now. With some logs and maybe some more detail on what you'll like help with, I could help you a lots more. But if you have any other question just submit it here on this thread or via PM.  

Haste and vers are very close together when playing Thermal Void, as long as you keep crit as close to shatter cap as you can, you're fine. Yes it's a loss, but it's not crippling. Just keep mastery off as much gear as you can.

As to what Dabria said about GS, I'm not totally sure if I agree with much of it. On top of Glacial being just the weaker talent at the moment(it was close but with the new set bonus being all about getting as many flurry combos downfield as possible, the gap is widening), I don't really see a reason to run it. That said I do prefer the playstyle of Glacial, it's just not going to perform. And on top of that the stats mentioned seemed off. I haven't done sims with the new raid gear yet, but mastery has never been useful to Thermal Void. Like at all. In any amount. It generally finds itself below int and barely ahead of crit beyond the cap.

But as he said, if you truly want us to find what's wrong, we'll need some logs to see what you're doing wrong rotation wise. 

8 hours ago, Tehril said:

As to what Dabria said about GS, I'm not totally sure if I agree with much of it. On top of Glacial being just the weaker talent at the moment(it was close but with the new set bonus being all about getting as many flurry combos downfield as possible, the gap is widening), I don't really see a reason to run it. That said I do prefer the playstyle of Glacial, it's just not going to perform. And on top of that the stats mentioned seemed off. I haven't done sims with the new raid gear yet, but mastery has never been useful to Thermal Void. Like at all. In any amount. It generally finds itself below int and barely ahead of crit beyond the cap.

I know Glacial spike build is dying, but I haven't yet been beaten on my mage by a Thermal Void mage. I have thought about then being bad but yee, it's mostly because of the 4 set. I've also decided to go Thermal Void next week after reset when I get last set piece or hopefully does. 

And for the stats, I just took what the Method mage said he was going. I know what to go for on Glacial spike but I don't have the greatest insight of the Thermal void build. 

But it actually seems fun. But yee hard to tell anything without logs, we can tell gear but that won't matter if you are doing your rotation wrong.

Going to echo the point about posting logs, but weighing in on GS:

It's pretty awful at this point. There's no fight where there is any reason to not run TV in Antorus. It's miles ahead of any other talent on that level. It's fun, definitely, but it's a lot weaker. Every single top parse for Frost atm runs TV.

For TV stats, you can run exactly what we suggest in the guide. The only thing Mastery beats out is Crit post shatter cap.