FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Banard

PSA: Never Dismiss your Pets because of Pathing

once again i read this today...my biggest pet peeve ever. 

On the portal boss you will find as BM your pets will get stuck on the platform. DO NOT DISMISS. 

Toggle pet passive, pet assist until they teleport to you. Make a macro for it! Sometimes it takes more then one toggle but not very often. 

This ONLY works if there is "no path available". If this is the case the pets will teleport to you 100% of the time. 

WHEN IT DOESN'T WORK: You might find your pets not attacking your target, your kill command dont work and you have no idea where your pets are. You toggle and nothing happens! Well your pets can get to you...there just far away...toggle passive and continue doing what you can until you see your pets next to you.  This can happen on Eonar.  In this instant you usually cannot dismiss your pet anyway because there to far away.  Or if you do by the time it goes off there close enough to you anyway. 

read this over and over until you understand the difference between the two. 

Dismiss your pet = bad practice. The only time you do dismiss pet, is if your jumping down and there is a clear path down...those pets will pull everything ..but only sometimes......still not sure what the Ai code is for this...sometimes they just jump down with you! SO CONFUSING! 

Edited by Banard
  • Like 1

I wasn't doing the portals on Portal Keeper in my group, so I can't comment there and will just take your word for it. What I normally do whenever my pet gets stuck is the command Follow (which I have hotkeyed for easy access). The pet will stop whatever he's doing and come back to you, no matter if he needs to fly through a mountain to do it. It may be a bit slow since he doesn't dash with the Follow command, but in my experience it skips most pathing issues.

However, on Eonar the best way to recover your pet is to use the extra action button. Your pets will instantly dismiss when you fly (exactly like when you fly in a mount) and they will reappear at your side when you land. The pets only get stuck when you use the jumping platform, so you should always use the extra action button to fly and jump down after using the jumping platform.

Edited by Khallid

2 hours ago, Khallid said:

It may be a bit slow..

Next time toggle passive/assist and he will teleport to you. If it is a true pathing issue then he will teleport to you. 

1 hour ago, Banard said:

Next time toggle passive/assist and he will teleport to you. If it is a true pathing issue then he will teleport to you. 

I'll give it a try, it's just that in my experience pathing issues are a lot more rare than what I see other people complaining. The only place that consistently kills pathing for my pet is the beginning section of upper karazhan keystones, so it should be an easy thing to test.

16 hours ago, Khallid said:

I'll give it a try, it's just that in my experience pathing issues are a lot more rare than what I see other people complaining. The only place that consistently kills pathing for my pet is the beginning section of upper karazhan keystones, so it should be an easy thing to test.

They are rare. It hardly happens anymore. It was happening on the portal boss. I dont know if it occurred last night on normal or not because i was i hit the toggle without even thinking. 

12 hours ago, Luthixx said:

Found the best way to counter this problem, swap to MM! hahaha

That is not even funny.  Someone need to give you a citation. 

27 minutes ago, Banard said:

That is not even funny.  Someone need to give you a citation. 

I've had to do the unthinkable - my guild expanded it's roster and now that there's quite a big gap between MM and BM (generally speaking, top parses are too generous to how good BM really is) I've had to go MM to keep a raid spot. I never thought it'd happen but it's also a refreshing break - having not really played MM since leveling up it's good to go to a different rotation other than just hoping to get a lot of dire beast procs for Qa'pla resets.

2 hours ago, Luthixx said:

generally speaking, top parses are too generous to how good BM really is

What do you mean? BM isn't a spec that can cheese its dps by cleaving.

2 hours ago, Luthixx said:

hoping to get a lot of dire beast procs for Qa'pla resets.

You just need more crit :P

13 hours ago, Khallid said:

What do you mean? BM isn't a spec that can cheese its dps by cleaving.

You just need more crit :P

Well you get significantly lower DPS when you have horrible procs that's for sure!

And I have tonnes of crit, 50% if I run Sephuz and 42% if I run Soul - still leaves me with 39% in MM which is lovely!

Are my pets the only ones that get stuck on the platform for Gorothi? Literally, every time I've done that fight my pets don't follow me down the path.

23 minutes ago, Mascaron said:

Are my pets the only ones that get stuck on the platform for Gorothi? Literally, every time I've done that fight my pets don't follow me down the path.

Just follow the above advice, it won't make much of a difference it's just like 3 seconds before you get ready for the boss. Only one that it's seriously annoying on is Portal Keeper where they get stuck at the top. So many times I've blown all my CD's and a 2nd pot only to realise my pets are on a top platform.