FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Caymuano

Guardian Druid Help

Hi People,

I would like that someone, a skilled guardian druid could help me increasing my dps as a tank. For what concern the survavibility I have no problem but I lack on Dps, maybe I'm doing the wrong rotation.

Could someone chack my armory and a WoL log to check what and if i'm doing something wrong?

Thanks  a lot.

C4

ARMORY: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/nemesis/Dyruano/advanced

WOL: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-fqkcyzm8qq80mxna/details/28/?s=10529&e=10806

I'll just point out a few things I noticed:

First off, don't use Bear Hug. If the target is immune to stuns, then all it does is root you and waste a GCD. You should just take it off your bar. If you need a stun, then spec into Mighty Bash.

Dream of Cenarius is useless to a Guardian. Use Heart of the Wild instead. You can coordinate with your co-tank to open with a burst sequence in Cat Form and use Berserk and an Agi pot for a nice temporary boost in damage. I sometimes saw 350k in my opener and was briefly neck and neck with our shamans. If you need to tank-swap, then feel free to do so after Berserk drops off. The extra Agility and Stamina will be useful to you for the rest of the fight.

Soul of the Forest is suboptimal as well. Incarnation is just vastly better. Use it during the period when you will be taking the highest damage and enjoy the 300k+ Mangle crit spam.

Glyph of Fae Silence is also a DPS loss since it increases the cooldown of FFF.

In terms of rotation, just make sure you're using Mangle and Lacerate as often as possible on 1-3 targets, or on larger packs spam Thrash, Swipe, Mangle. There's no great complexity to it; it's the easiest rotation in the whole game.

Thanks for the answer.

For what concern Bear Hug, I promptly took it off the bar as suggested.

I choosed DoC instead of HotW because I'm the main tank, so I cannot inc the boss in cat form, that's why i prepherred the 10% crit chance on mangle and and instacast of healing touch, also because I'm not so geared, (crit 62%).

SotF and Incarnation, I use both of them. It depends on the fight, but I don0t feel that this is the real problem with my dps.

Aside of this I thank you very much for the answer, I'm just searching a better understand if my dps is in line with my gear, or if not, why is it low.

I'm tanking with a Pala, and as he has easy going in aoe threat (he is also 550 ilv) and with my spam of Maul, Swipe and Thresh I cannot build much vengeance. Maybe this is another problem for a low dps. 

The instant-cast of Healing Touch is nice, however you never actually used it. If you are taking DoC for the extra crit chance on Mangle, then Incarnation will be a no-brainer. Personally I would still take HotW, even if you can't use the kitty opener, for the extra stats. I should add that overall, your DPS doesn't seem low for your gear and the amount of damage you were taking. When I stopped raiding, I was at 537 ilvl and was pulling ~130k on single target, non gimmick fights. Since the Vengeance change I no longer expect to be able to do the same damage as an equally geared DD.

Thanks for the answer.

For what concern Bear Hug, I promptly took it off the bar as suggested.

I choosed DoC instead of HotW because I'm the main tank, so I cannot inc the boss in cat form, that's why i prepherred the 10% crit chance on mangle and and instacast of healing touch, also because I'm not so geared, (crit 62%).

SotF and Incarnation, I use both of them. It depends on the fight, but I don0t feel that this is the real problem with my dps.

Aside of this I thank you very much for the answer, I'm just searching a better understand if my dps is in line with my gear, or if not, why is it low.

I'm tanking with a Pala, and as he has easy going in aoe threat (he is also 550 ilv) and with my spam of Maul, Swipe and Thresh I cannot build much vengeance. Maybe this is another problem for a low dps. 

Choosing Heart of the Wild is far better than DoC, since it increases your stamina by 6%, your agility by 6% (which in turn increases your dodge rate AND your critical strike chance, which in turn generates rage)

Run through Mr. Robot with your gear. I just tanked the Empress and was 6th dps as tank. Thrash should be your number one attack when in a group as it applies dots. My iLvl is 502.

Looking at your build, HotW would give you an additional 1254 agility.

One thing that can be a massive damage boost is to take Incarnation and Nature's Vigil.  You can then alternate pooping NV with incarnation and berserk for some very large damage output.  It will also do a significant amount of healing.  I agree with the other poster about DoC.  It is a nice talent in theory, but I found myself almost never casting it on myself.  If you can manage to cast the free HT's on someone else in the raid, it is probably still a good talent.

NV is great if you are tanking 3-5 targets or so. I used the NV+Berserk combo when I was solo tanking Council of the Elders in ToT and it was ridiculously powerful. On a single target, it's pretty well balanced, neither better nor worse than HotW.

Edited by Tarazet

With heart of the wild you can even spam rejuv while in bear form to give you and the raid some healing.  Incarnation is better than SotF becasue if gives you an insane burst of rage when you need it.  SotF will just give you a little bit more throughout the whole fight.

If you're trying to up your DPS then I woould say use incarnation for that fact.  You can spam mangle and Thrash on the target when they are taking more damage or just to have rage to spam maul.  For t60, HoTW will give you more passive stats for tanking and DPS on top of allowing you to heal the raid with rejuvs or be in cat form during down time.  Otherwise, you can use Natures Vigil which will line up with incarnation's cooldown for damage + some healing.

While I agree with the people above me that you're not fully using DoC and that HotW will give you that extra flat damage, it's not all useless. I found that with good usage of the healing procs you can a) afford to take more damage (the heals can go to nearly a mil) b ) you can often save someone who is being stupid and taking a lot of damage, especially in more messy fights like Malkorok, Shamans or Garrosh as well as not needing a healer in Galakrasses towers. On the other hand it's quite awkward to get used to and missing the proc will cause you to flip out of bear form, meaning you can't mess up if you have aggro. (personally I find that DoC makes a fight more interesting by adding more complexity to your play style and it keeps me from getting bored because the rotation is simple, thus I mostly switch over to HotW in case of hangovers or if there is absolutly no need for that extra bit of healing, like 3 healers on fights without much damage)

Incarnation is very strong, but in most fights you can't really use it to it's full as it is powerless on low vengeance + saving it because it's not the right time is again a loss in it's dps. As for it's burst rage, this is not needed because around 15k crit you stop running out of rage with SotF at any time. Summing that up I found that in fights where there's a lot of aoe/cleave to be had or your healers/offtank allow you to pull some stunts with vengeance etc Incarnation is the better choice. Fights which require you to pull no stunts and just have Savage defense up till the next tank swap benefit more from SotF. It also means that berserk becomes a lot stronger.

That being said it's up to what you prefer for a play style really.

That being said I found using the barkskin & survival instincts glyphs more useful than Feas Silence & Might of Ursoc, simply because you see so much use out of it.

Edited by Zoutpeper

That being said I found using the barkskin & survival instincts glyphs more useful than Feas Silence & Might of Ursoc, simply because you see so much use out of it.

Don't use the barkskin glyph.  That is a PvP glyph and tanks already are already passively immune to being critted by bosses.

Here is the ability that does this: inv_misc_pelt_bear_03.jpgThick Hide

While I agree with the people above me that you're not fully using DoC and that HotW will give you that extra flat damage, it's not all useless. I found that with good usage of the healing procs you can a) afford to take more damage (the heals can go to nearly a mil) b ) you can often save someone who is being stupid and taking a lot of damage, especially in more messy fights like Malkorok, Shamans or Garrosh as well as not needing a healer in Galakrasses towers. On the other hand it's quite awkward to get used to and missing the proc will cause you to flip out of bear form, meaning you can't mess up if you have aggro. (personally I find that DoC makes a fight more interesting by adding more complexity to your play style and it keeps me from getting bored because the rotation is simple, thus I mostly switch over to HotW in case of hangovers or if there is absolutly no need for that extra bit of healing, like 3 healers on fights without much damage)

Incarnation is very strong, but in most fights you can't really use it to it's full as it is powerless on low vengeance + saving it because it's not the right time is again a loss in it's dps. As for it's burst rage, this is not needed because around 15k crit you stop running out of rage with SotF at any time. Summing that up I found that in fights where there's a lot of aoe/cleave to be had or your healers/offtank allow you to pull some stunts with vengeance etc Incarnation is the better choice. Fights which require you to pull no stunts and just have Savage defense up till the next tank swap benefit more from SotF. It also means that berserk becomes a lot stronger.

That being said it's up to what you prefer for a play style really.

You can use a no-shift macro to prevent being caught with your bear pants down because you fat-fingered Healing Touch when you weren't supposed to.

#showtooltip Healing Touch

/console autounshift 0

/use Healing Touch

/console autounshift 1

Incarnation is such a massive DPS gain that there is no reason to take the other talents. They are not balanced whatsoever and they have done nothing to address the gulf in Guardian's case.

As mentioned already, Glyph of Barkskin is useless in PvE because you have built-in crit immunity. I like to take Glyph of Cat Form, in order to give me the same level of survivability as a Feral when I am using my Heart of the Wild kitty craziness.

Thanks to all for the answers.

I've changed my talents and tried various combination suggested by you all, but the dps is still around 100k - 140k, depending on the boss. And In my opinion is quite low. So, aside the fact that I'm unskilled, maybe is so low because I've still got a  530 weapon? Or the low dps is only due to my wrong rotation?

I've changed my talents and tried various combination suggested by you all, but the dps is still around 100k - 140k, depending on the boss. And In my opinion is quite low. So, aside the fact that I'm unskilled, maybe is so low because I've still got a  530 weapon? Or the low dps is only due to my wrong rotation?

You're a tank ... you shouldn't worry about doing top DPS. Have you also run your gear through Mr. Robot? Keeping mangle up and bleeds up and making sure that mage doesn't pull aggro is really all you need to concern yourself with. Keeping threat is the main issue. Anything else is secondary. They applied a nerf to bear dps because they dominated so heavily in Cataclysm. As long as people aren't dying and dps is doing their thing, don't worry about dps.

Edited by Gentlebreeze

Or maybe it's because of the Vengeance changes that we're doing the same DPS now that we were doing in 5.3 with ToT gear.

In all honesty if you are following the RPS gearing paradigm the number one way to increase your damage is making sure you are not getting gimped in the vengeance dept. Compare the uptime of vengeance to your co-tank on WoL and I am willing to bet there is a disparity. You can work with your other tank on taunting more often so the buff never falls off between mechanics, start stacking debuffs higher, use savage defense less and maul more often if you are not in danger. Time your DPS CD's with high vengeance periods.

It is, but I just found a really useful macro. Getting caught with my bear pants down has gotten me once or twice.

It is, but I just found a really useful macro. Getting caught with my bear pants down has gotten me once or twice.

Yep, that HT+noshift macro has been used by Ferals for a while. Now that DoC has gotten a foothold for Guardians it is very useful.