FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
NLT

Spriest rotation questions

Hello, I've just returned to the game after a long break and I need help with a couple of questions:

- when you enter Void Form, Void Torrent and VB are on GCD while the other skills are not. I assumed that this means I should always cast the following sequence upon entering VF: 1 other skill (SWD, MB or MF depending on availability and sticking to the priority) > Void Torrent (if available) > VB. Is this assumption correct?

- during Void Form, there are many occasions when VB is aaaaalmost ready, but not quite. Is there any point beyond which it's not worth casting 1 more spell before VB and it's better to just wait for VB to be ready? Does it depend on the spell that's ready (e.g. if SWD or MB are ready, not just MF filler)? My approach so far has been: cast SWD or MB even if the remaining cd on VB was very short (0.1 - 0.2 s); wait for VB if the only other option was the Mind Flay filler.

Sorry if my questions are extremely basic. I carefully read the "DPS rotations, cooldowns and abilities" section but I couldn't quite figure out the answer to these 2 things.

Many thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, NLT said:

- when you enter Void Form, Void Torrent and VB are on GCD while the other skills are not. I assumed that this means I should always cast the following sequence upon entering VF: 1 other skill (SWD, MB or MF depending on availability and sticking to the priority) > Void Torrent (if available) > VB. Is this assumption correct?

You cast depending on the situation. If there's movement incoming and you might need to cancel the cast, Mind Flay for that second of GCD. If you can complete the cast, use Mind Blast. Also use mind blast if you entered Voidform at the bare minimum of Insanity requirement. If you can finish a complete cast of it and have a decent insanity level, use VT.

30 minutes ago, NLT said:

- during Void Form, there are many occasions when VB is aaaaalmost ready, but not quite. Is there any point beyond which it's not worth casting 1 more spell before VB and it's better to just wait for VB to be ready? Does it depend on the spell that's ready (e.g. if SWD or MB are ready, not just MF filler)? My approach so far has been: cast SWD or MB even if the remaining cd on VB was very short (0.1 - 0.2 s); wait for VB if the only other option was the Mind Flay filler.

Yes, it does depend on the spell, as well as where you are in your Insanity level/drain rate. Your options are either to dump into anything available (Voidform about to end), wait for VB to come off cooldown with Mind Flay (your VF won't end before VB comes off cooldown) and use Shadowform (all spells are on cooldown and you are still at a decent rate of Insanity, meaning you can prolong your VF with multiple casts afterwards).

33 minutes ago, NLT said:

Sorry if my questions are extremely basic. I carefully read the "DPS rotations, cooldowns and abilities" section but I couldn't quite figure out the answer to these 2 things.

That's what we're here for.

Thank you Blainie, much appreciated.

Just a small question regarding your reply: what did you mean with "Shadowform" in the second paragraph? :D

Cheers

2 hours ago, NLT said:

Thank you Blainie, much appreciated.

Just a small question regarding your reply: what did you mean with "Shadowform" in the second paragraph? :D

Cheers

Got the name wrong! Dispersion, sorry :p

12 hours ago, NLT said:

Cheers :)

Amazing what you can muddle up when they all sound shadowy and dark!

On 12/13/2017 at 5:01 AM, NLT said:

Hello, I've just returned to the game after a long break and I need help with a couple of questions:

From my understanding, Void Torrent (the artifact ability, gonna call it VoiT) is not on your GCD when entering Void Form. Typically, I cast VoiT as soon as I enter Void Form in hopes that it is up at or near the beginning of when I next enter Void Form. Given that VoiT is up I start my Void Form with VoiT > VB > MB > then at that point you're on your standard Void Form rotation. If VoiT isn't available I cast either MB or MF if MB is not available.

Generally, you will always cast two spells between every VB. Situations where you will cast one spell between VBs: MB is on cooldown so you only channel MF, you have to move, or your haste is at 144% or higher. If you have Mangaza's Madness, the legendary belt that gives you two charges of MB, sometimes it's alright to channel MF even if MB isn't on cooldown if it allows you to cast MB twice before casting VB again without having MB sitting at 2 charges. That takes practice and may sound confusing to get used to but once you got it you're good. As far as the 144% haste, you'd need an addon or a weakaura to track it but at that point your haste is so high VB is off cooldown after you cast one spell. However, the only time I ever reach 144% haste is if I've triggered Sephuz/bloodlust/heroism and I'm about 40+ stacks deep in Void Form. At that point Void Form truly is insanity.

Many thanks in advance.

Learning how to be a better spriest is never a bad thing :D If anything I said was confusing please ask about it and I'll do my best to clarify.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Healyrayray said:

From my understanding, Void Torrent (the artifact ability, gonna call it VoiT) is not on your GCD when entering Void Form. Typically, I cast VoiT as soon as I enter Void Form in hopes that it is up at or near the beginning of when I next enter Void Form. Given that VoiT is up I start my Void Form with VoiT > VB > MB > then at that point you're on your standard Void Form rotation. If VoiT isn't available I cast either MB or MF if MB is not available.

Movement/mechanics is a big thing to consider here, IMO - I think putting it as "first priority as soon as you have a full, uninterrupted cast of it" is the ideal way of looking at it. 

Great points in your post, though.

35 minutes ago, NLT said:

Thank you both Rayray and Blainie for the explanations

That's what we're here for!