FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Matchmaking Hotfix & Season Reset: Dec 15

KtR7knR.jpg

Blizzard has fixed the issue related to placement matchmaking ratings. All players have had their placement matches reset and Performance Based Matchmaking has been turned off until further notice.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

Hey everyone,

As mentioned in earlier forum posts regarding Matchmaking Ratings here and the follow up here, we have been working hard on a fix to address the issue affecting placement matchmaking ratings. After further investigation, we identified the root cause and have deployed a fix. We apologize to everyone who has been impacted by the rough start to the new ranked season.

Once the hotfix is live in your region, we will re-enable matchmaking for Hero League and Team League. And although the issues we encountered were unrelated to the Performance Based Matchmaking improvements, we are reinstating Ranked mode with the Performance Based Matchmaking updates turned off. We want to make sure we’ve resolved all of the issues and that the ranked season placements are in a good place before we reinstate any new features. We understand many of you are very excited about the Performance Based Matchmaking changes and we’ll update everyone once we’re ready to turn them back on again.

Additionally, to ensure the accuracy and fairness of this ranked season, we have decided to completely restart this season. That means all accounts, regardless of whether they were affected by this issue, will be reset. We understand that this is very frustrating, particularly for those who have already redone their placement matches. Once again, we sincerely apologize to our passionate and dedicated players who have been impacted by this unfortunate issue. Thank you again for your patience as we work to make things right.

Ranked queues were temporarily disabled yesterday.

Hi everyone,

As many of you may be aware after reading a forum post we made earlier this week, we’ve been working to resolve an issue affecting placement Matchmaking Ratings (MMR) following the Ranked Season Roll on Tuesday. After investigating the issue, we rolled out a fix that we believed would resolve it, and also reset the affected players’ placement matches. 

However, it’s evident that there is still unexpected behavior from placement MMR and we have been receiving reports that players are still being placed inaccurately. These placement issues are unrelated to the performance-based matchmaking update and we are working hard to determine the root cause and resolve this situation as soon as we possibly can. We sincerely apologize for the frustrations this has caused for those of you who’ve already embarked on your Hero and Team League journey this season.

While we are working toward that fix, we also want to prevent as many players as possible from being placed incorrectly. As a result, we have disabled ranked matchmaking queues in all regions until we are confident we can solve the issue.

We understand that disabling the ranked queues is less than ideal, and want more than anything to get you back in the action as soon as possible. Our ultimate goal is to provide you with the best matchmaking experience we can, so we thank you very much for your continued patience as we work to ensure ranked play provides a fun and fair experience for everyone. 

Until that time, feel free to jump into one of our other game modes, including Quick Match and Unranked Draft. We will keep you updated as we make progress on a fix for ranked play.

Game Director Alan Dabiri took full responsibility for the issue. The latest update was massive and this bug persisted even after all internal and extended PTR testing.

Hi guys,

I just want to apologize to all of you regarding the Ranked mode issues we caused with this release. This was a massive update that included many changes across many areas of the game. We had a lot of internal testing and an extended PTR, but we still fell short here. There’s really no excuse. We need to do better, and I take full responsibility for this. The team is hard at work on fixing the issues, and once we have a fix deployed, we will re-enable the ranked game mode as soon as possible.

I just want to thank you all for your feedback, passion, and most of all, patience as we work to make things right.
  • Like 1

This must be the first time I’ve seen the Hots team take such responsibility. It’s really such an improvement in a short amount of time. I must admit, I’m impressed.

• Like 1

Very happy to see these updates since I think many of us have been patiently just waiting with our placements until the issue have been resolved. 

It almost never is a problem for players as long as we get frequent updates on what is happening so this is great communication by the Hots team!

• Like 1

The system is still buggy.
A friend of mine which had the same Placment as i (Dia 5), with a worse win rate then mine, went 8-2 Today  and got placed at Master 1000 Points. Meanwhile i went 6-4 and got Placed on Plat 2  with 500 Points. 2 Days Ago where i went 5-5 i got placed at Plat 1 with 800 Point which is  kinda  more legit then it was today...

• Sad 1

Yeah, it's still acting up weird I'm pretty sure. Funny that they vehemently deny that it has to do with the new MMR-based matchmaking, yet before its implementation we had no problems at all.

Edited by Leadblast

18 minutes ago, MysticalGoat said:

The system is still buggy.
A friend of mine which had the same Placment as i (Dia 5), with a worse win rate then mine, went 8-2 Today  and got placed at Master 1000 Points. Meanwhile i went 6-4 and got Placed on Plat 2  with 500 Points. 2 Days Ago where i went 5-5 i got placed at Plat 1 with 800 Point which is  kinda  more legit then it was today...

Weird. Thanks for the update. I'll wait with my placement matches then.

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Weird. Thanks for the update. I'll wait with my placement matches then.

yeah maybe they gonna reset it again  (at least  i hope)

Edited by MysticalGoat

Yeah this new MMing seems pretty messed up even in QM.

Since the big patch on Tuesday I've only played one night with my regular group of HOTS friends on Wednesday night. I played 4 games with them. We usually do pretty from ok to great. Some wins some loses. But that night every match we played was a HUGE loss. As in every the kills in those matches were between 1-6 vs 24-38 kills. My friends had been playing for a few hours before I joined for a few matches. They said it had been like that all night for them too.

My HotSLog mmr is only around 1800-1900 compared to the rest of them (5-8 people) being between 2200-2800 or so mmr on HotSLogs in QM.

I guess it could be because our MMRs are so wildly apart from each other. But our matches have rarely felt like we were that vastly outmatched as it did in every match that night. Maybe after a good week or two of this new MMR system it will all even out. But if they're turning it off till they 'fix it' then I guess we won't know for several weeks more.

On a different, but only somewhat related note. After they made such a point of 'we're gonna start putting things out in a more staggered week to week fashion rather then everything all at once. So it's easier on all our devs to isolate tuning and issues.' ...then they wait a week later then they could have (and should have) for the Winter Event to start. So it's only 3 weeks rather then the usual month long event. And so they can put it out along with ALL the changes. Gameplay changes, Stealth changes, Performance Based Match-Making changes,  New Hero, and a new season of ranked... all at once. Yeah... I tell you, they're really staggering those new things out week to week aren't they... *rolls eyes*. And they wonder why something went wrong during all that at once...

• Like 1

Yeah I think it's pretty messed up still. I stomped 8/10 of my placements and got placed gold 4. Checked my MMR and it's high diamond-master. Really weird.

This new system is a train wreck so far. Hopefully they figure it out. You get punished for short games. It seems like the Performance points are just taking data point compared to data point. So longer the game, better the stats you have look. This also doesn't adjust for the build type for the comp (like going lava wave v. smash) which completely changes the stats you can achieve. This is on top of the clear MMR struggles of the system. It was nice to have a seeming reset, but some players got moved up and down drastically. It will be a month before we have enough information to see if the guy that jumped gold to masters can even preform up there or if it's a bug.

2 hours ago, Laragon said:

It seems like the Performance points are just taking data point compared to data point.

"Performance Based Matchmaking has been turned off until further notice."

It shouldn't even be a thing atm since it should be off but the matchmaking itself is borked. People shouldn't play ranked, it's not fixed yet so there isn't much to do except play Quickmatch games and wait until there is further updates. Playing ranked now will probably be a waste with a reset soon anyway once they figure it out.

I think part of the problem is you had a lot of people either overranked or underranked, so with the new MMR system you're seeing the results of people initially being put into matches they have no business being in.  I'm intentionally waiting about a month to play again to let the system sort itself out and get people roughly where they *should* be.

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2017 at 6:01 PM, gamerk2 said:

I'm intentionally waiting about a month to play again to let the system sort itself out and get people roughly where they *should* be.

Totally agree on that. Same here man, same here.

4 hours ago, CyberDVonaven said:

Totally agree on that. Same here man, same here.

Seriously, my matches are either:

A: I carry but we don't have a chance because no one is pushing lanes, taking camps, or controlling the OBJ

or

B: I suck balls but my team carries me

Nothing in between, and that's a problem.  Hopefully after a month or two things sort themselves out.