FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Muggen

BM Hunter Help - Spam Cobra Shot?

Started hunter a couple of weeks ago after finally getting him to 90 and love it. It's one of those classes I never got around to lvl and now that I did I am wondering y I never did it before.

Anyways, I currently play MM because for some reason in my current gear it seems to be the one I am best at. I would love to learn to love BM but I suck at it. The biggest thing is I feel like I am spamming cobra shot way to often to have just enough focus for KC. I barely use arcane shot except during BW. I was reading another thread in here and noticed that someone posted a skada screenshot that showed arcane shot as the second highest ability, behind kill command.

I don't have any logs yet, but will after tonight as I plan on sitting on a dps dummy to figure out what I am doing wrong. But in the meantime, here is my armory log. My biggest question is: is this the rotation? More cobra shot and barely any arcane? 

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tanaris/Múggz/simple

Edited by Muggen

Oops, totally forgot I got some upgrades and never gemmed, reforged, etc. Let me fix that up tonight and get some logs, and I'll add them to this post. 

Guest WeeWilly

ok, now there is some meat.  biggrin.png  well, being a BM at heart and have not played as a MM since LK, Arcane Shot was great for 5.3 but now, it chews up more focus. 

The guide here is pretty good to follow, as is their rotation (yes, I copied the below from their guide. If I am in the wrong, let me know). 

1. Apply Hunter's Mark on the target.
  2. Cast Kill Command on cooldown.
  3. Cast Kill Shot (only available below 20% health).
  4. Apply and maintain Serpent Sting to the target (it will be refreshed by Cobra Shot so it only needs to be done once, normally.).
  5. Cast your Tier 6 talent (normally Glaive Toss).
  6. Cast your Tier 4 talent (normally Dire Beast).
  7. Cast Focus Fire when your pet's Frenzy reaches 5 stacks (the icon will glow)
  8. Cast Arcane Shot to dump any excess focus.
  9. Cast Cobra Shot.

Don't forget to set your talents.  And as for as gemming and moving things around, don't forget Mr Robot!!! 

I took a look at you and wished I was so well geared.  biggrin.png  

But play as what you want.  the differences, really are small.  I only play BM because to me, taking care of my pet is what I am suppose to do. She takes most of the damage and keeps the baddies off of me.  And of course I like finding the more exotic pets like Savage.  But remember, please play as you want.  I take some shortcuts with macros and the like combining some things to shorten my rotation, but it may not be for you. :) 

Take care,

Wee Willy aka "Roo the Hunter"  and many many others. 

Edited by WeeWilly

Yea for some reason my the font was black in the original post which made it look like nothing was there. I'll definitely post some logs tonight.

So thanks for the play what you're good at advice. Did some testing on dummy and today in raid and did about 20k more dps with....MM, with powershot and fervor. Fervor really helps out smooth the oration and hard casting AI alot more. LOVE IT!!

So thanks for the play what you're good at advice. Did some testing on dummy and today in raid and did about 20k more dps with....MM, with powershot and fervor. Fervor really helps out smooth the oration and hard casting AI alot more. LOVE IT!!

Really? I got better numbers (4k more dps) with dire beast than fervor on marks, but haven't tested different t6 abilities, as Glaive toss has always done enough for me. I didn't like powers got because of the long cast time.

I did lfr SoO last night (whichever one that has galrakas through nazgrim) on marks and averaged around 95-100k dps. (No I don't have logs as I haven't figured out how to upload them)

Really? I got better numbers (4k more dps) with dire beast than fervor on marks, but haven't tested different t6 abilities, as Glaive toss has always done enough for me. I didn't like powers got because of the long cast time.

I did lfr SoO last night (whichever one that has galrakas through nazgrim) on marks and averaged around 95-100k dps. (No I don't have logs as I haven't figured out how to upload them)

Yup. The thing I like with fervor is it allows for a smoother rotation. I switched to using Aimed as a dump instead of Arcane. And fervor has a nice short cooldown so it was nice to be be at like 85ish focus, cast aimed, chimera, fervor, then another aimed. I also liked powershot a lot better because it, too, allowed for a smoother rotation. With glaive and dire, between those two, chimera, and a possible proc it seemed like I had to much on CD. I'm definitely still trying out different things to see what works best for me.

Yup. The thing I like with fervor is it allows for a smoother rotation. I switched to using Aimed as a dump instead of Arcane. And fervor has a nice short cooldown so it was nice to be be at like 85ish focus, cast aimed, chimera, fervor, then another aimed. I also liked powershot a lot better because it, too, allowed for a smoother rotation. With glaive and dire, between those two, chimera, and a possible proc it seemed like I had to much on CD. I'm definitely still trying out different things to see what works best for me.

Ok, well I just got done testing marks with powershot, and I dealt a lot less dps than I did with Glaive toss, around 78k vs 90k dps at 513 equipped and t15 2piece bonus.

And I'll be honest with you, that's what I was doing before I went back to BM. Although I rarely used serpent sting or chimera shot.

Edit:

Also, what do y'all think:

Remove the t15 gear (lfr, chest and hands) for a t16 chest and non tier hands (both lfr, 528)?

Edited by Orthios

Ok, well I just got done testing marks with powershot, and I dealt a lot less dps than I did with Glaive toss, around 78k vs 90k dps at 513 equipped and t15 2piece bonus.

And I'll be honest with you, that's what I was doing before I went back to BM. Although I rarely used serpent sting or chimera shot.

I did some more testing this weekend and I definitely saw bigger numbers with glaive toss, but not that big. So you are right, glaive toss is better, you just need to watch out more for it. 

Glaive toss is the stronger talent for your gear. barrage and powershot move ahead of glaive toss when you have a strong weapon because they scale much better at the high end gear.

Also you should try and use Chimera shot when it is off cooldown due to it refreshing your serpent sting.

But if you want to play play BM a few small tips to keep you're dps high is try to never miss a GCD like kill command and to never stack Focus Fire and Bestial Wrath together because that's a big dps loss. I read a great article which goes into a lot more detail with the GCD than i have.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/10/16/scattered-shots-hunter-theorycrafting-101/#continued

The biggest tip i can give you is to play the spec you enjoy the most not what will give you the "best" numbers becuase if you don't enjoy playing the spec you're in then you're numbers are also going to be affected.

here's a link to my char if you want a look at the builds i personally am going for if you want to ask any questions bout hunters feel free to ask smile.png

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Blazeblue/simple

Edited by blazeblue

Guest WeeWilly

See, others state the same - play the spec you like and are comfortable with.  biggrin.png

Sorry, I haven't been back on, - personal issues.  But it looks like you are getting great advice and you seem to be doing great. 

Take care -

Wee Willy

Guest WeeWilly

Also, what do y'all think:

Remove the t15 gear (lfr, chest and hands) for a t16 chest and non tier hands (both lfr, 528)?

advice that was given to me a while back is if the ilvl is higher and it helps with agi, go for it.  Keep them though incase you want to switch back for any reason.   Thats my 2 cents and I can give you back 1 cent in change  biggrin.png

Edited by WeeWilly

That is some pretty vaild advice :)

i would personally take as many tier 16 pieces as you can becuase even the two set is very strong also think about getting rid of any tier 15 because it is not that good anymore  due to the RPPM changes so it never really procs as much as it used to.

Well, it just recently occurred to me that it would be helpful to give my armory/amr link and the links to the pieces that I have.

AMR: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/7f997026-1a8a-46a2-bd3e-26ce8b3e29c2

Chest: inv_chest_mail_raidhunter_n_01.jpgTunic of the Unblinking Vigil

Hands: inv_mail_raidshaman_n_01glove.jpgPrecision Cutters

Helm: inv_helm_mail_raidhunter_n_01.jpgHaromm's Horrifying Helm

Guest WeeWilly

Well, it just recently occurred to me that it would be helpful to give my armory/amr link and the links to the pieces that I have.

AMR: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/7f997026-1a8a-46a2-bd3e-26ce8b3e29c2

Chest: inv_chest_mail_raidhunter_n_01.jpgTunic of the Unblinking Vigil

Hands: inv_mail_raidshaman_n_01glove.jpgPrecision Cutters

Helm: inv_helm_mail_raidhunter_n_01.jpgHaromm's Horrifying Helm

Now you are braggin', LOL.  Nice stuff there Orthios.  And as BlazeBlue said, "yup, take them that thar T16 pieces as you can get." or something like that.   Here's my penny...

Wee Willy