Novarin

Frost Mage improvement

Sign in to follow this  

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I'm rather new to ranged classes, especially the mage and I feel like I am underperforming, compared to my fellow mages.

I'm seeking some help to know where to start and trying to improve as I'm currently not in our mythic raid group and I'd like to change that.

 

Here's my most recent log from Heroic Argus:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wk892qX16NKhHm7J#fight=13&type=damage-done&source=152

and an older log from Kin'garoth Heroic:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/nD16gwGK97TM4jXH#fight=7&type=damage-done&source=18

/note: I don't have Shard of the Exodar yet, however I'm considering swapping out my legendary Hands for the quest legendary (Insignia of the Grand Army) so I can complete the 2p/4p combo, is that worth or not?

 

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Novarin said:

/note: I don't have Shard of the Exodar yet, however I'm considering swapping out my legendary Hands for the quest legendary (Insignia of the Grand Army) so I can complete the 2p/4p combo, is that worth or not?

This depends entirely on your NLC rolls. The worth of that ring changes entirely on what you have picked on relics.

For your logs, Argus first:

  • You aren't shattering your Flurry by hardcasting before hand. If you miss 1 or 2, it's not a big deal, but you missed 32. You need to hardcast Frostbolt or Ebonbolt before you send your instant Flurry, since it will shatter and gain the damage bonus. 
  • You wasted Brain Freeze procs by triggering another one before using them. Always spend them before casting a spell that can trigger another one, or spend it at the same time as you launch the other spell.
  • You missed 2 Ice Lance shatters after your Flurry.

Kin:

  • Exact same issues as on Argus, just different amounts.

Those are the main points to work on, especially shattering before and after your Flurry. That's a big DPS impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blainie said:

 

  • You wasted Brain Freeze procs by triggering another one before using them. Always spend them before casting a spell that can trigger another one, or spend it at the same time as you launch the other spell.

So let's talk about that - I've seen wildly varying opinions of when it's ok/not ok to frostbolt up to 5 icicles in order to Flurryspike.  What's your take on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Blainie said:

This depends entirely on your NLC rolls. The worth of that ring changes entirely on what you have picked on relics.

For your logs, Argus first:

  • You aren't shattering your Flurry by hardcasting before hand. If you miss 1 or 2, it's not a big deal, but you missed 32. You need to hardcast Frostbolt or Ebonbolt before you send your instant Flurry, since it will shatter and gain the damage bonus. 
  • You wasted Brain Freeze procs by triggering another one before using them. Always spend them before casting a spell that can trigger another one, or spend it at the same time as you launch the other spell.
  • You missed 2 Ice Lance shatters after your Flurry.

Kin:

  • Exact same issues as on Argus, just different amounts.

Those are the main points to work on, especially shattering before and after your Flurry. That's a big DPS impact.

Thank you for your analysis! So basically, I need to work on my shatter the most.

That should basically be Flurry procs -> Frostbolt (without using flurry) -> IL - > Flurry etc.? Is there a way to ensure that this combo can chain at least once? If yes, I seem to have misread something, as I said I am still fairly new to the spec.

I'll try to improve that as much as possible though, will keep you updated, thanks again for your time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2017 at 5:44 PM, MrEdren said:

So let's talk about that - I've seen wildly varying opinions of when it's ok/not ok to frostbolt up to 5 icicles in order to Flurryspike.  What's your take on it?

Super late - I'm guessing Flurryspike is Glacial into Flurry for Winter's Chill crit? 

With lack of a better way of putting it, you're already losing DPS just by using Glacial Spike :p

On a serious note, it depends. Depends on the fight, depends on the situation. If you have a trinket proc up, with enough time to put out up to 3 FBs, then save it for Flurry. If not, send GS without the shatter. With no procs up, you're not playing into that massive damage burst. Throw your Flurry ASAP, regardless of if you have GS.

It's very much an all-or-nothing playstyle which, unfortunately (since it's fun as hell), doesn't work well together most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2017 at 1:18 PM, Novarin said:

Thank you for your analysis! So basically, I need to work on my shatter the most.

That should basically be Flurry procs -> Frostbolt (without using flurry) -> IL - > Flurry etc.? Is there a way to ensure that this combo can chain at least once? If yes, I seem to have misread something, as I said I am still fairly new to the spec.

I'll try to improve that as much as possible though, will keep you updated, thanks again for your time!

You'll need to do the following, assuming you have a Flurry proc active:

  • Hard cast a Frostbolt (or Ebonbolt).
  • As soon as it finishes the cast, send your instant Flurry.
  • As soon as the GCD is finished, send an Ice Lance.

This will make the hard cast bolt and the Ice Lance benefit from the Winter's Chill debuff that an instant Flurry places on the boss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.