FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

Zagam's Fixing your DPS FAQ!

Great guide! I would move Affdots to the main section though. You can use the baseline feature to track your SP. If you see it at above 100 (higher the better) you should be firing off Chaos bolts.

• Like 1

Great guide! I would move Affdots to the main section though. You can use the baseline feature to track your SP. If you see it at above 100 (higher the better) you should be firing off Chaos bolts.

Using Affdots to gauge when you use Chaos Bolts can be confusing and misleading.  In your case, you're saying if the number reads 101 I should be firing off CB.  That's simply not correct.  You should be using WeakAuras or some notification of getting a proc such as Toxic Power (KTT's proc) or Expanded Mind (PBI's proc) to let you know when to use Chaos Bolt.  Affdots' strength is for determining the power of a DoT on a target relative to your current power if you were to apply that DoT again that very instant.

Zagam, why are you so good to us?

Edit:

I would also recommend putting in a point about not using RoF on single targets anymore, since changing that one bad habit was an amazing increase in my DPS when that advice was given to me by you and Omaric.

Edited by Eddie

Using Affdots to gauge when you use Chaos Bolts can be confusing and misleading.  In your case, you're saying if the number reads 101 I should be firing off CB.  That's simply not correct.  You should be using WeakAuras or some notification of getting a proc such as Toxic Power (KTT's proc) or Expanded Mind (PBI's proc) to let you know when to use Chaos Bolt.  Affdots' strength is for determining the power of a DoT on a target relative to your current power if you were to apply that DoT again that very instant.

I don't cast it at 101, but if it's at 150,200,300, I think my record is 400 I certainly will use it. Where does it pull that number from?

The number in Affdots?  It's a multplicative factor of your power against the power of an existing DoT.  If you had 30k spell power when you applied the DoT and now you have 40k, with no other changes, the number should read 133 indicating your spell power now is 133% of what it was when you applied it.  It does a conversion with Haste and other procs to give you an estimated proc multiplier.  You must have had something horrid happen to have your power magnified by 400%.  I've seen 285, but never 300.  285-289 is with Bloodlust, Berserking, Tempus Repit, Potion, Dark Soul, Jade Spirit, Lightweave, Toxic Power, and Black Blood proc. 

I see, I thought I missed some hidden feature of Affdots or something. You mean you (Twinkielock) base your Chaos Bolts usage on your relative power of a previous dot you applied?

Affdots does a n estimate based on your Int/Haste/Crit/Mastery values at the time you apply a dot and compares that to your current stat levels.

Elaborating on this...

If you have no buffs and apply your Immolate...your Affdots will say 100. When you apply an immolate with a ton of Int/haste procs, it will read 100 until the buffs fall off, and then it will drop.

Reason you don't want to rely on Affdots rankings is that it's not just calculating Int:

If you have a haste proc or two, Affdots will probably rank Immolate 150+ compared to an unbuffed one. Haste doesn't make your Chaos Bolts hit harder, just cast faster. See the problem?

As Zagam said, track your trinket Int Procs and cast Chaos Bolts with them.

Edited by Rakupenda

The number in Affdots?  It's a multplicative factor of your power against the power of an existing DoT.  If you had 30k spell power when you applied the DoT and now you have 40k, with no other changes, the number should read 133 indicating your spell power now is 133% of what it was when you applied it.  It does a conversion with Haste and other procs to give you an estimated proc multiplier.  You must have had something horrid happen to have your power magnified by 400%.  I've seen 285, but never 300.  285-289 is with Bloodlust, Berserking, Tempus Repit, Potion, Dark Soul, Jade Spirit, Lightweave, Toxic Power, and Black Blood proc.

No not the number for the actual dots. I forgot the name of it, I will check when I get home, but it's separate from the main UI. Going by memory it's baseline damage.

No not the number for the actual dots. I forgot the name of it, I will check when I get home, but it's separate from the main UI. Going by memory it's baseline damage.

So there is an additional feature of Affdots?

It still would be more beneficial to track your Int Procs so you know when they will expire/reach a 10 stack. Nothing worse than casting a Chaos Bolt that finishes half a second after the buff wears off.

Guest WeeWilly

you mean some still play warlocks... mu-hahahahahaha  tongue.png  

nice post, thanks Zagam (again, you are consistent with great stuff) (I hope that is spelled right)

the Wee Willy "forsaker of daggers"

PS - how did you put your location under your photo?

Edited by WeeWilly

Affdots is good for some stuff, not so good for other stuff. TBH, just getting WA for procs is the easiest bet and then you can come up with real mature choices regarding sound triggers laugh.png

Zagam, I´m a mage and wouldn´t touch a fel-stained heap of evil that locks are with a ten-foot poker, but I give you that: your dedication to the lock community and expertise are impressive and thanks to you, I´ve probably learned more about lock gameplay than I about mages. If you ever find yourself on Frostmane Alliance, you can have a keg of brew on me! :)

(and it hurts to say that, but compared to locks, mages these days feel bland and uninspired)

You're always welcome to join the dark side where it's more fun and no one asks for meals, just dessert and summons to the desserts.

• Like 1

Zagam, I´m a mage and wouldn´t touch a fel-stained heap of evil that locks are with a ten-foot poker, but I give you that: your dedication to the lock community and expertise are impressive and thanks to you, I´ve probably learned more about lock gameplay than I about mages. If you ever find yourself on Frostmane Alliance, you can have a keg of brew on me! smile.png

(and it hurts to say that, but compared to locks, mages these days feel bland and uninspired)

We also have cookies.  So if you were at least one cookie short of coming to the Dark Side, then there's no better time!  (offer expires with your soul)

• Like 1

Zags what did I tell you about assaulting people with too much sugar?  We turn them away.

regarding uptimes as affliction Zagam, on fights like sha of pride sure, everything is in place, 99%+ on dots 50%+ on haunt etc ... but on others like protectors, norushen or jugernaut meh ... mechanic wise I find it hard to hit those markers with all the moving, target swaping, push back and other crap that happen during these fights ... might get too old for this game maybe biggrin.png

thank you

edit: now that i'm thinking of it, sha of pride is a lot of moving target swaping and hectic shit going on at its best way more chaotic let's say than protectors ... i wonder why on protectors the mage beats me regardless of the fact that in some situations there you dont get shards back ... hmmmm

with my gear i feel i should be doing more and i feel 95.1% on agony, 91.2% on UA and 96.9% on corr + 32.5% on haunt uptime might not be the best ... however the fucking 3 seconds rule of dot swaping makes me curse in my mind blizzard each time i do it dry.png but maybe this is just my excuse ...

what do you think ? such uptime is decent for that fight ? my armory link --> http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kazzak/Vladimirov/advanced

i rly do feel there i should be doing much more tbh

thank you everyone !

br o/

Edited by vldsb

Armory means nothing in a case like this. If you want real help then I would suggest you make a new thread with logs.

the purpose of armory link was to give a hint as to what my gear is

the logs are private and im not the admin so i dont think its visible for analysis ... if you read my post you'll see i gave some relevant enough uptimes for the main things needed.

Edited by vldsb

Great, post Zagam, thank you so much for the time you take to help us out!

There is one thing I'm still doing against the recommendations: I still RoF a single target sad.png

Reasons being:

1) Bad habit :(

2) It still seems to me that I'm generating embers faster when RoF is up, even on single target.

Is 2) true but still not wroth doing, or is it really just me imagining things? (I blame the rum)

regarding uptimes as affliction Zagam, on fights like sha of pride sure, everything is in place, 99%+ on dots 50%+ on haunt etc ... but on others like protectors, norushen or jugernaut meh ... mechanic wise I find it hard to hit those markers with all the moving, target swaping, push back and other crap that happen during these fights ... might get too old for this game maybe biggrin.png

thank you

edit: now that i'm thinking of it, sha of pride is a lot of moving target swaping and hectic shit going on at its best way more chaotic let's say than protectors ... i wonder why on protectors the mage beats me regardless of the fact that in some situations there you dont get shards back ... hmmmm

with my gear i feel i should be doing more and i feel 95.1% on agony, 91.2% on UA and 96.9% on corr + 32.5% on haunt uptime might not be the best ... however the fucking 3 seconds rule of dot swaping makes me curse in my mind blizzard each time i do it dry.png but maybe this is just my excuse ...

what do you think ? such uptime is decent for that fight ? my armory link --> http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kazzak/Vladimirov/advanced

i rly do feel there i should be doing much more tbh

thank you everyone !

br o/

Armory has no relevance to your ability to keep your DoTs up.  It's all mechanics and gameplay and proper execution of the right spell at the right time.  That said, on a lot fights, you should strive to keep DoTs up, even if you have a shit ton of hectic things going on.  For Heroic Juggernaut, I found that if I apply DoTs right before Shock Pulse, I can wait til the 2nd Shock Pulse, run up, re-DoT, drop my Teleport, then as soon as he does the third Shock, I use my Teleport and continue my onslaught while my raid team is running up trying to get back in range.  Same goes with every fight.  Proper planning, thinking, and coordination ensures you can almost always keep your DoTs up all the time, at least Agony.  Sure there might be a slight drop-off, but this FAQ page was meant to fix DPS issues, not completely optimize per fight.  If you are looking at an IJ log, you can see UA up 94% and think 'ok, I did it right here' because you probably did.

Great, post Zagam, thank you so much for the time you take to help us out!

There is one thing I'm still doing against the recommendations: I still RoF a single target sad.png

Reasons being:

1) Bad habit sad.png

2) It still seems to me that I'm generating embers faster when RoF is up, even on single target.

Is 2) true but still not wroth doing, or is it really just me imagining things? (I blame the rum)

RoF is good on one target during Haste procs such as Tempus Repit.  It is not, however, worth the global over an Incinerate in terms of Embers and damage.  Which 2) are you referring to?  Shadowburn?  Curse of Elements?  Either way, both are worth maintaining.

RoF is good on one target during Haste procs such as Tempus Repit.  It is not, however, worth the global over an Incinerate in terms of Embers and damage.  Which 2) are you referring to?  Shadowburn?  Curse of Elements?  Either way, both are worth maintaining.

I was referring to #2 on my post: "2) It still seems to me that I'm generating embers faster when RoF is up, even on single target."

I just need to learn to use it under a haste proc as you noted, and stop spamming it as if it were 5.3.