FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Taus

Close or clear?

I've been thinking about this a lot, and it seems to me that this is the best/most efficient way to approach the question of whether to clear or close after RG is dead:

• Always clear the level you're on, since it's already "rolled" - there might be a goblin pack, etc, and it's already "there" since you've zoned in.
  • Barring that, always clear prison, graveyard, and the outdoor area that's always pretty high density.
  • If cow, run until the end.

In general I've kind of flipped entirely from my original stance, and I feel like clearing to the end after RG is the best way currently.  After all, personally I'm swimming in keys and shards aren't really an effective route to upgrades anymore.  I have all ancients, and what I need are souls to reforge legs.  Therefore, closing immediately after the RG seems inefficient to me. 

The whole approach to closing just seems counter-intuitive to me, especially when people are leaving super dense graveyard or prison levels not even half cleared.  It's not a race to the end, and it doesn't get better than those tilesets, so why rush to the next level?

The question is: What do you want?

Most XP possible / hour?

Most Legendaries possible / hour?

If yes, you need to farm Greater Rifts.

For GR you need the keys -> you need to farm those keys as fast as possible. 

You kill the Rift Guardian ASAP, you close ASAP and reopen it asap.

If you need Death Breath / Gold clearing a level can be useful. Ignoring high density areas just because the Rift Guardian is already dead is not a good decision in this case.

That's a good point.  I have so many keys that I didn't consider the possibility that others don't.  In all this time I actually haven't done GR in groups intentionally, so maybe I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the response.

If you are interested in GR Group runs it may be useful to look for a clan.

There is no matchmaking in D3 - and if you want to go higher it takes ages to find a group.
If you just want to run, no matter if 70, 80, 90, then it works.

But what are the chances of finding a group that has the right characters and equipment to go really high?

Yeah, my initial foray was unsuccessful as it took a minute to put me in a group, once in there they popped an 85 immediately, and five seconds into the rift I realized I still had my angry chicken goldwrap build active.  So I ran them solo for a while.  Legs per hour still seemed to be on par if not even lower than running T13 normal rifts, but admittedly it's a small sample size and about 75 is what I can farm in <5mins on my chicken.  I'll probably follow your advice and find a group to run with.

On 24/12/2017 at 9:17 PM, Taus said:

Yeah, my initial foray was unsuccessful as it took a minute to put me in a group, once in there they popped an 85 immediately, and five seconds into the rift I realized I still had my angry chicken goldwrap build active.  So I ran them solo for a while.  Legs per hour still seemed to be on par if not even lower than running T13 normal rifts, but admittedly it's a small sample size and about 75 is what I can farm in <5mins on my chicken.  I'll probably follow your advice and find a group to run with.

It all depends on the group you're playing with, the setup, your goal, etc.

For example, a Rathma group can run a GR100-105 in under 3 minutes, without even perfect gear. I almost always use the communities rather than group finder to find people, since there's no guarantee of what classes you'll get in the public games.