FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Astynax

Help an aff-lover?

So, I'm a new-ish lock, looking to get ready for raids, esp SoOs. I've played around in all specs. I'm not a big fan of Demo's rotation. Destruction is okay, but it's not my cup of tea. My true love is, and always has been, affliction. The problem is, I'm only ilvl 520, and my simcraft aff dps is sub 100k, and I can't figure out how to get it to a point where it isn't 20-30k below destro's. ATM, my destro rotation isn't great, but I'm still pulling ~90k dps easily. Here's my questions:

What do I need in order to play affliction competently, without being a burden to my raid?

What can I do that I'm not already in terms of stat priority?

armory link:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/senjin/Astynax/simple

Thanks IV!!

Edit: Yeah, IK, my gems are crap. They are cheap placeholders until I get around to actually needing the DPS, aka not LFRs.

Edited by Astynax

Hi!

To be completely honest with you at your item level your not going to see an improvement if switch to affliction.  Destro will perform better for you right now.  Even at higher item levels destro will out perform affliction in single target fights.  

Honestly until you fully gem and enchant your gear properly your not going to see a worthwhile dps increase.  You dont have your JC leveled enough to get the gems even.  Once you do that come back and sure someone will able to help you.  Post logs if you can.

Basically, play destruction until you get better gear and fix the vomit on your character page.

On a side note this is my first post on these forums.  I have browsed for a very long time.  My in game name is Killingjoke.  I play a destro/demo lock on Thunderlord US and am an officer in a 10/14 heroic guild called Focus.  Hope to post more soon!

So, I'm a new-ish lock, looking to get ready for raids, esp SoOs. I've played around in all specs. I'm not a big fan of Demo's rotation. Destruction is okay, but it's not my cup of tea. My true love is, and always has been, affliction. The problem is, I'm only ilvl 520, and my simcraft aff dps is sub 100k, and I can't figure out how to get it to a point where it isn't 20-30k below destro's. ATM, my destro rotation isn't great, but I'm still pulling ~90k dps easily. Here's my questions:

What do I need in order to play affliction competently, without being a burden to my raid?

What can I do that I'm not already in terms of stat priority?

armory link:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/senjin/Astynax/simple

Thanks IV!!

Edit: Yeah, IK, my gems are crap. They are cheap placeholders until I get around to actually needing the DPS, aka not LFRs.

At 520 item level, sub 100k DPS isn't acceptable raid DPS.  520 item level was normal ToT progression, and anyone doing under 100k was at the bottom of the meter.  Your armory doesn't help too much...we'd need to identify issues with your playstyle.  Check out my Fixing DPS FAQ and go through the Affliction questions.  If you are doing everything listed there, I promise you your DPS will soar way over 100k.

Just making sure I understand here zagam, you're saying I shouldn't have too many issues pulling acceptable DPS with aff at my ilvl?

Also, I hope to be back in a week or so with logs, cause I suck at reading them. T.T. Thanks for the replies guys!

Acceptable is a relative term based on what kind of guild you're in.  If you're pushing heroic progression, then 520 ilvl would be borderline carry territory unless you're just that amazing.

That said, you can definitely still pull great DPS with your current gear.  At least 150k depending on the fight.

Acceptable is a relative term based on what kind of guild you're in.  If you're pushing heroic progression, then 520 ilvl would be borderline carry territory unless you're just that amazing.

That said, you can definitely still pull great DPS with your current gear.  At least 150k depending on the fight.

Sorry, thought I had clarified this one already. We're still working on assembling our raid team for SoOs and ToTs. Nothing too bad, and in all likelyhood I'll be one of the better geared players to start, at least.

So you did mention that, my apologies.  In that case though, with some gameplay changes your DPS will be very acceptable.

Check out the FAQ's and when you've got some more specific questions or some logs we can get more thorough.

Thanks guys, I'll probably show back up with some logs later on, once I've ironed out the stuff IK i'm doing that's bad. Really appreciate the help. =)

Thanks guys, I'll probably show back up with some logs later on, once I've ironed out the stuff IK i'm doing that's bad. Really appreciate the help. =)

keep in touch, post those logs, and if you have specific situations which are confusing you feel free to describe in detail. affliction is an extremely detail oriented spec which takes experience with many "tough call" scenarios. in a month you'll be laughing at yourself for feeling so confused about certain aspects of the class. touching on zagam's comment, at 520 in lfr and several valor bought pieces i managed 200k+ on many single target fights in tot (when it was still taboo to run aff), and i would take a 520 lock that knew his class over almost any other 540 class in an SoO raid. great warlocks shine on the meters more than almost any other class, but baddies are clear and present at the bottom. just a few small tweaks can make or break your dps