FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Eyeroll

Pet tanking in BM

so had a tank DC on a Nel +18 after Naraxxas (he kept falling in the water, took about 8 minutes for it to clear).

Is there any Leggo that would be better for Pet tanking in case the real tank is not available?   I'm running Sephuz/Qa'pla for DPS, but I'm thinking Apex/Qa'Pla might be a better case for that.

And thinking a turtle.  My wolf got destroyed by the 1st scorpion by Dargrul.

Thoughts?

I use a turtle speced to tank when i need one but i dont think id trust it to tank a +18. Off the top of my head i dont think there is a way that a legendary would help your pet tank better. 

37 minutes ago, Sisco said:

I use a turtle speced to tank when i need one but i dont think id trust it to tank a +18. Off the top of my head i dont think there is a way that a legendary would help your pet tank better. 

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but when the tank is offline and you're at the last boss, doing anything to get to the timer is better than sitting around on your hands when it's just trash left.  I wouldn't attempt it on a boss in mythic.  I think if the healer had been a little more aware,  it also might have gone better.  The pet tank took some huge damage spikes from the scorpion.

7 minutes ago, Eyeroll said:

I wouldn't attempt it on a boss in mythic.  

It wouldn't really work anyway.  Pet tanking kind of died in MoP when they made bosses immune to growl b/c of LFR shenanigans.  Another reason to hate LFR.  

Usually the only time you can get the pet to tank a boss now is if every one else is dead (there not on the treat meter) and you FD and then start pew pewing.  

• Like 1

Well Apex is useful because it makes your pet get the tank spec talents all the time, so it can try to tank without you manually switching to Tenacity, which you can't do while in combat. Without being in Tenacity spec, the pet can receive critical hits which will always one-shot him (plus more health with Tenacity). However, +18 is way too high for a pet. We managed to pet tank a boss on a +14 with 2 BM hunters, since I could ress my pet while the other guy's pet tanked and vice-versa, but they were still dying in 3 to 4 hits and our healer was throwing mana at it like crazy trying to keep them alive. On an +18 key there's really nothing you can do, the pet will last at most two hits.

Fun thing we also pet tanked Heroic Garothi Worlbreaker for 2 whole minutes when our tanks died, and managed to kill it anyway. Parses were total shit on that kill though, with all the raid dead for 2 minutes :P

Edited by Khallid
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Eyeroll said:

I wouldn't attempt it on a boss in mythic.

We did Arcway mythic +0 the other day with 5 dps because we had a quest and couldn't get a tank. 2 warlocks and 1 hunter and 2 others. Our pets did fine. But i think it is because we outgeared it.

9 hours ago, Kharth said:

But i think it is because we outgeared it.

yes yes it was.  Hunter's in 940+ gear (probably lower) can solo mythic 0s. 

Also, if there were warlocks then there pets did most of the tanking.  For some reason those pets keep aggro a lot better then hunter pets these days. 

14 hours ago, Kharth said:

We did Arcway mythic +0 the other day with 5 dps because we had a quest and couldn't get a tank. 2 warlocks and 1 hunter and 2 others. Our pets did fine. But i think it is because we outgeared it.

You can solo most dungeons at Mythic +0 with a BM Hunter. The only exceptions are bosses with anti-solo abilities like Shade of Xavius on Darkheart Thicket, since you'll be eternally pacified when solo. I still can't do Seat of the Triumvirate because the first boss will instantly despawn when he sends you to the Void Realm if you're alone. The required dps to kill him before he casts that is insane. But Cathedral can be soloed if you kill the last boss before he spawns his reflections, which is hard but still doable.

4 hours ago, Banard said:

Also, if there were warlocks then there pets did most of the tanking.  For some reason those pets keep aggro a lot better then hunter pets these days. 

The reason is the Zoo build. Using Dire Frenzy basically doubles the threat your pet generates. Blink Strikes probably gets the most threat on AoE, but no one uses it nowadays. You can also get a lot of pet threat with Crows + Misdirect or Barrage + Misdirect, which actually works better but Barrage is weak now so nobody uses it.

Edited by Khallid

54 minutes ago, Khallid said:

The reason is the Zoo build. Using Dire Frenzy basically doubles the threat your pet generates. Blink Strikes probably gets the most threat on AoE, but no one uses it nowadays. You can also get a lot of pet threat with Crows + Misdirect or Barrage + Misdirect, which actually works better but Barrage is weak now so nobody uses it.

Agreed but even with those changes that warlock pet will out tank a hunters pet. Just the world we live in these days. 

WTB growl working on bosses again. WTB distracting shot. WTB any version of this game before legion. 

• Like 1