FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Arkpit

Beginner looking for them tips!

Healing:
I'm interested in learning Lucio but since all I do is QM and mostly solo, is that going to be a big problem? ^_^
Probably would like to have him every game but when should I really not get him?

Tank:
For my go-to tank I pref Roadhog so far but when is Winston a better pick (The only other tank I can see myself playing)?

Damage:
Pref not swapping damage for def/att, and since thats the case is Reaper/Hanzo enough for this? Might consider Mccree as well.
Been trying out Widow and Torbjörn as well but they both seem to have such weakness that I can't deal being them. Widow being so far from objectives and terrible in close combat and Torbjörn just being plain terrible in attacking and having major setup times.

5 minutes ago, Arkpit said:

Healing:
I'm interested in learning Lucio but since all I do is QM and mostly solo, is that going to be a big problem? ^_^
Probably would like to have him every game but when should I really not get him?

Lucio is a great all-round healer and very easy to do "well" as, it's why there are so many 1-tricks that main him. The only time you don't want to pick Lucio is if you are required to solo heal. This will happen if you only run 1 healer or if you have a Mercy and Pharah that stick together constantly (a lot of Mercy players think they should be on Pharah 24/7, thereby ignoring the rest of the team completely).

He's definitely one of the better heroes to 1-trick.

7 minutes ago, Arkpit said:

Tank:
For my go-to tank I pref Roadhog so far but when is Winston a better pick (The only other tank I can see myself playing)?

Since his nerf, Roadhog isn't the best tank, but he still can perform his role pretty well. Winston does way better in dive-style comps. While Roadhog likes to pick off enemies and prepare to push with his hook, Winston dives hard. You'll need DPS with you that can dive, as well as a healer that can keep you up (Ana or Zen). You'll normally pick Winston with the following heroes: Genji, D.Va, Tracer, Zen, Ana, Soldier, Doomfist.

10 minutes ago, Arkpit said:

Pref not swapping damage for def/att, and since thats the case is Reaper/Hanzo enough for this? Might consider Mccree as well.
Been trying out Widow and Torbjörn as well but they both seem to have such weakness that I can't deal being them. Widow being so far from objectives and terrible in close combat and Torbjörn just being plain terrible in attacking and having major setup times.

Reaper is a great tank killer, but he suffers greatly when put against the wrong team. If you come up against a team with two long-distance DPS (Pharah, McCree, Widow, Hanzo, Soldier) that will take any form of high ground, you're going to seriously struggle. This is also true against heroes that are fast enough to kite Reaper, such as Tracer, Genji, etc.

Hanzo is a great hero and, after maining him for 2 seasons at around 4.3K SR, there's a few major flaws. You NEED to have good enough aim to deal with certain targets. Hanzo has an incredible ability to one-shot heroes, but missing an arrow on a Mercy that is ressing or a Tracer/Genji that is harassing your backline can devalue your worth to the team. Until you can consistently hit those shots, you're better off taking someone like McCree that has a "backup" in both Fan the Hammer and his Flash. Soldier is also a fantastic replacement. 

The problem with your two DPS picks is that, not only are they both incredibly situational (Hanzo less so, but he is hard countered by shields and Pharah), they don't really deal with all threats. 

Widow fits the same group as Hanzo does, where it's all about how many shots you hit, but with no Scatter to help. If you can't hit the shots, you won't contribute enough.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Blainie said:

The only time you don't want to pick Lucio is if you are required to solo heal.

I feel this would be a lot since I'm a little beginner and the other beginners spot the Lucio and go "Ok cool, we got healer so I go something else.". So, is he completely out of the question even so? So far many QMs have gone completely without any healer.

11 minutes ago, Blainie said:

Roadhog isn't the best tank, but he still can perform his role pretty well.

I sort of want to place my choice on what I'd like to play more than what my team forces me into that is why I'd like something good in general but the other tanks are just so boring >_<

12 minutes ago, Blainie said:

Hanzo is a great hero

Was reading some tierlists out there to compare with and Hanzo seems very low down the lists compared to almost everything so I sort of stopped looking into him and Widow due to the "devalue" you mentioned if your accuracy isn't high enough.

I like shooting people in the face with Reaper but for a more all-around choice to learn if I should deal damage would be Mccree, or perhaps just learn to aim with Hanzo? ^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arkpit said:

I feel this would be a lot since I'm a little beginner and the other beginners spot the Lucio and go "Ok cool, we got healer so I go something else.". So, is he completely out of the question even so? So far many QMs have gone completely without any healer.

The main problem for Lucio as a solo healer is that he can't heal tanks that well due to a lack of targeted healing. In QM, where tanks are very rarely picked (people like to practice their DPS a lot more), you don't really see the lack of healing that much. He's a very capable character and, in the event that you have no healer, he's better than nothing. The problem is, as a solo healer, you either have to dive incredibly far in to keep up your flankers, while also staying near your tanks to slowly heal them up, while also making sure your backliners are OK. Compared to someone like Ana, his viability as a solo healer is fairly low. 

On the flip side, he can completely change the way a fight goes with his boop, he can stay alive far better than other healers, he doesn't need precise aim to heal (Ana has the same skill vs. performance graph that Widow/Hanzo do), his ult doesn't need massive planning and his speed boost is always useful for getting to objectives and giving slower heroes a taxi. 

Solo healing as Lucio can always work, even having 0 healers can work. It just depends on the map, the enemy team and the heroes. If you're playing with a massively spread out team and you have to pick someone to stick with, stay with the tanks/objective.

1 hour ago, Arkpit said:

I sort of want to place my choice on what I'd like to play more than what my team forces me into that is why I'd like something good in general but the other tanks are just so boring >_<

Roadhog isn't a bad pick, he can still ensure some solid picks. You just need to make sure that you aren't solo tanking and that you are nailing your hooks. Like Lucio, Roadhog is an "support" in his role. He's not a main tank like Reinhardt would be, in the same way Lucio isn't a main healer like Mercy would be. He is there to fill the off-tank role while using his kit to annoy the enemy. 

Land good hooks, communicate with your team when you do get a hook, don't feed ultimates with your heal and you'll be perfectly fine playing Hog.

1 hour ago, Arkpit said:

Was reading some tierlists out there to compare with and Hanzo seems very low down the lists compared to almost everything so I sort of stopped looking into him and Widow due to the "devalue" you mentioned if your accuracy isn't high enough.

I like shooting people in the face with Reaper but for a more all-around choice to learn if I should deal damage would be Mccree, or perhaps just learn to aim with Hanzo? ^^

Yeah, there's always the flip side of every tier list. There's Kephrii, who is constant Top 500 as Widow only, Wraxu who is the same with Hanzo. The tier lists normally place them dead bottom with their requirement. 

Realistically, I'd put my time into learning McCree instead of Hanzo if you like them equally, mainly because McCree has no "real" counter. He performs fine in pretty much every role and he only struggles against massive barrier teams. He is a good hitscan, can down a Pharah-Mercy, has good damage output, can deal with flankers, has an aim assist in his flashbang, has a solid ult when used properly, can combo with his team.

Hanzo can do a lot of that, but he's a projectile hero and so suffers greatly against Pharah-Mercy unless you trust in your aim to hit Pharah with a headshot. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Arkpit said:

As always @Blainie, Your input is always appreciated, thanks a lot!

I will remember this next time you run into my Alarak ;)

Hopefully next time I meet you, I won't be given a random hero I didn't pick :(

• Haha 1

On 2018-01-03 at 2:37 PM, Blainie said:

Lucio is a great all-round healer and very easy to do "well" as, it's why there are so many 1-tricks that main him.

Ended up not enjoying any game with him and rest of the evening and the next day was almost all Mccree which I'm surprised to say I'm enjoying a lot more than I thought!

Atm I don't see myself playing healer in OW at all so I'll probably just focus on Mccree and some tanks. I did swap into Torbjörn on a few defense parts that worked out fairly well though!

2 hours ago, Arkpit said:

Ended up not enjoying any game with him and rest of the evening and the next day was almost all Mccree which I'm surprised to say I'm enjoying a lot more than I thought!

Atm I don't see myself playing healer in OW at all so I'll probably just focus on Mccree and some tanks. I did swap into Torbjörn on a few defense parts that worked out fairly well though!

At least you've found a character you enjoy! If you're disliking the style of healing in OW, people generally prefer Zen to others due to his incredibly strong offensive possibilities. He can, with decent aim, 2 shot most heroes on the roster with his Discord up. It's a big change from Lucio/Mercy/Ana levels of damage!

• Thanks 1

my strategy is just this:

-pick pharah untill they start running hitscan to counter

-repick to junkrat to blow the living shit out of them

- if they switch off of hitscan, go back pharah

repeat

On 2018-01-14 at 3:13 AM, Shine said:

pick pharah

Sadly I do not enjoy that character at all so don't want to play her :)

just stopping by to put in my input for whatever it may be worth. for torbjorn since his various nerfs long ago you have to be a bit smarter with him. the mistake newer people make is they put down the turret and sit there and smack it while watching tv. torb on his own can do pretty decent damage, so better torbs find the good hiding spot for their turret and jump into the fray, especially with molten core popped on his own he can 1-2 shot a lot of characters. its about being aggressive and smart, so don't let that "defense" hero fool you, aggro torb is in my opinion (whatever value it holds) better than those who just smack their turret and go afk. even on many attack modes with comp torb can do well but on a couple styles he is kinda dooky.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:55 AM, Tri said:

torb on his own can do pretty decent damage, so better torbs find the good hiding spot for their turret and jump into the fray,

Anubis B - perfect example. Turret is hidden behind boxes, enemy flankers have to dive to get it, it protects your Mercy if they don't and you can watch all 3 entry points with your primary fire, building up Molten Core and dealing heaps of damage against those that jump in. 

Against tanks, he's basically a smaller Reaper. Yeah, you're an easy kill for Roadhog after a hook, but against Winston you just destroy him.