FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
xulingaming

frost mage for endgame raiding :)

Myself and one other person just answered this thread in the other mage subforum post you asked this question in.

I myself am a frost mage currently raiding in normal SoO and I'm producing the same numbers as other raiders with the same item level. Not the highest ever, but I enjoy the spec and the DPS is average and competitive.

I myself am a frost mage currently raiding in normal SoO and I'm producing the same numbers as other raiders with the same item level. Not the highest ever, but I enjoy the spec and the DPS is average and competitive.

This is why Mists of Pandaria will be my favorite expansion; being able to raid competitively as Frost gives me warm fuzzies. Frost has been my favorite spec and this is the first expansion I have not done pvp as I have too much to do in the pve environs. 

• Like 2

It competes decently in raids and pulls good numbers.  

That said, Frost in SoO hits some plateaus, mainly the haste soft cap.  if you start building Heroic SoO gear you'll find that Arcane and Fire begin to out scale Frost at that point.  

That said, Frost still does well.  It's just that past ~ilvl 553 if you want to be the min/max, best you can be, you'll have to look towards the other two specs.  

Edited by synkronized

It competes decently in raids and pulls good numbers.  

That said, Frost in SoO hits some plateaus, mainly the haste soft cap.  if you start building Heroic SoO gear you'll find that Arcane and Fire begin to out scale Frost at that point.  

That said, Frost still does well.  It's just that past ~ilvl 553 if you want to be the min/max, best you can be, you'll have to look towards the other two specs.  

This is not the case in 5.4. The whole thing depends on the encounter design. In some cases Frost will be superior to the other 2 specs. (Ie. Iron Juggernaut if you are doing the going away tactic, or Nazgrim in defensive stances). While, the other 2 specs will have its on fights where they'll shine.

However, frost is very versatile. You have many choices that you can follow.

For single target you can reforge and gem everything to mastery that will result in the highest single target damage from frost.

You can also reforge and gem everything to haste that will result in the highest AoE damage.

You can choose to reforge to haste until a breakpoint, then reforge to mastery. This mixture build is the median of the other 2 builds and in this build you can literarly adapt to ANY kind of fights. Aoe, cleave, singletarget whatever you want. You cannot see this in the case of the other 2 specs. They are either strong aoe, or strong single target, and you will produce lower numbers on the weaker kind of encounters.

So to correct your statement. If you are min/max person, you will have to look towards all 3 specs depending on the current encounter.

Each of the 3 specs is well within skill differences or minor item differences (i.e. a frost mage with heroic PBoI can beat a fire mage with a normal PBoI on single target assuming equal skill; or a frost mage with identical gear to a fire mage can snapshot more effectively and beat a fire mage).

This is a positive thing for everyone. For the first time in WoW's history you can really pick your spec, maximize your gear and skill and not rely on the spec itself to carry you.

On last week's Iron Juggernaut before we ran away for siege mode, our fire mage said "Akraen, what the hell... how are you doing 440k single target..." - It's worth noting I'm stacking haste, too :)

I even make our destro lock cry. So let me help you - ask me if you have any questions!