FORUMS
Starym

7.3.5 Dev Notes: New Way of Getting Legendaries

28742-legendary-drop-rate-clarifications

Today's PTR build brings one of the most asked for features in all of Legion, a way to directly and 100% get a legendary item for your spec! It'll only cost you 175 achievement_dungeon_ulduar80_25man.jpg Wakening Essences and the legendary acquired in this way will not affect your chances of getting further legendaries.

Blizzard LogoBuild 25807 (source)

Hi all!

Today's PTR update includes a new method for acquiring Legendary items: the Purified Titan Essence. This item can be purchased from Arcanomancer Vridiel in Dalaran in exchange for 175 Wakening Essences.

When used, the Purified Titan Essence will immediately grant a Legion Legendary item appropriate for your specialization. Note that this item is bind on pickup, and that the Legendary item granted by the Purified Titan Essence does not affect your chance to earn a Legendary through other methods.

Additionally, the Awoken Titan EssenceAwoken Titan Essence used to upgrade Legendary items to item level 1000 is now sold by Arcanomancer Vridiel as a vendor item, rather than as a quest reward, for the same total cost (50 Wakening Essences). The quest will no longer be offered, but can be turned in if your character already has it active.

So from what I can tell, you used to be able to pick up the quest to get essences even if you upgraded all your legendaries. Most people didn't because why would they? You can no longer pick the quest up to farm essences ahead of time. However, if you have not finished upgrading your all your legendaries and still have the quest, I don't see why you couldn't farm ahead. I have 62/50 on my hunter and it is still allowing me to get more essences. Maybe they will cap it, but it doesn't look they have yet. 

Edited by SynergyX

Honestly by this point in the expansion I was hoping we'd just have BoA tokens that drop for legendaries that let people select which character needs it the most and what item they think they need the most, or maybe being able to vendor or disenchant old or unwanted legendaries somehow for those essences as a compromise. 

"Legendaries" in this expansion are like greens in vanilla. You get a new one and just sort of stare at it like "This might be better than the other 12 I have...

When you just farm for legendaries, you may as well turn all the gear orange.

When everything is legendary, nothing is.

39 minutes ago, Tarvesh said:

When everything is legendary, nothing is.

The original implementation of Legendaries (And to a certain extent, some Epics) involved special effects - procs, actives or passives - without the requirement of a set bonus. While everything else is just a stat increase or extra passive stats (Remember when greens never had more than one "green text" line?).

These Legendaries in Legion are similar, in that they also add a certain bonus that you can't get anywhere else, with a few exceptions such as trinkets.

So even if you are allowed to have an uncapped amount of legendaries and there's 100 legendaries for you to choose from for your spec, it will not be the same as "other-quality" gear. Legendaries generally alter playstyles or rotations in a way that epic items or lower never would (With the usual trinket exception)

Edited by Yridaa
  • Like 3

Nice improvement but what about the "legendary" BoE items I have 4 that i can't use,as they are for classes i don't have characters for.? Perhaps this same vendor could exchange these for a similar item that a character of mine could use . I don't want to make any more characters as i have 6 110 ivl characters as it is.

Except that some legendaries are considered BiS for whatever reason per class or spec, or for general use, so inevitably other legendaries become relegated to fill up bank space or just something to pad ilvls until you get something better. It was a nice enough concept - it's basically taken from Diablo after all where it works - but executed very badly here with so many iterations and *dead* oranges that were never really all that useful to start with (eg; Hellbrine belt for SV hunter instead of, say, the bracers that cut down the cd on Aspects) that we actually end up with less chance of getting something useful on alts, regardless of playstyle - of which in WoW normally boils down to inefficient or bad, then pvp and pve and its subsets. Since oranges have nothing to do with pvp except for gimmicky world pvp and quests and padding ilevels, they become a pve thing, which means min maxing, and many, many legendary items have proven themselves to be woefully inadequate in terms of utility, usefulness in the majority of pve situations (primarily raiding) and overall design. 

6 hours ago, Yridaa said:

The original implementation of Legendaries (And to a certain extent, some Epics) involved special effects - procs, actives or passives - without the requirement of a set bonus. While everything else is just a stat increase or extra passive stats (Remember when greens never had more than one "green text" line?).

These Legendaries in Legion are similar, in that they also add a certain bonus that you can't get anywhere else, with a few exceptions such as trinkets.

So even if you are allowed to have an uncapped amount of legendaries and there's 100 legendaries for you to choose from for your spec, it will not be the same as "other-quality" gear. Legendaries generally alter playstyles or rotations in a way that epic items or lower never would (With the usual trinket exception)

Which only proves my point. When it becomes the norm (even if the norm alters your play style), it's pointless to have different loot types. Just have pro/non-proc items and be done with it. Nothing is legendary when it just takes a few turn-ins to grab another one, and another, and another...

45 minutes ago, Tarvesh said:

Which only proves my point. When it becomes the norm (even if the norm alters your play style), it's pointless to have different loot types. Just have pro/non-proc items and be done with it. Nothing is legendary when it just takes a few turn-ins to grab another one, and another, and another...

And that's why it's limited to 2/3 legendaries. They're both different loot types because this way you can implement a limit, they have special effects and are much stronger than "lower loot types".

I mean, what do you suggest? call them Commons and then say "Unique equipped (2) Legion Commons with procs"?

I feel it's the same discussion back when BC launched. People were complaining greens were better than Epics, but BC Rares were obviously better than BC Uncommons. I just don't see what you consider fundamentally flawed:

An Uncommon item that is ilvl 70 has less stats than a Rare item that is ilvl 70.

A Rare item that is ilvl 70 has less stats than an Epic item that is ilvl 70.

An Epic item that is ilvl 70 has less stats than a Legendary item that is ilvl 70.

Just because you can just buy it with currency now doesn't suddenly change this fact. If Murlocs would suddenly reward you with 10 legendaries of ilvl 70 and deathwing would give you a Common item of ilvl 70, then how can you possibly say "well its pointless to have different loot types"? The legendaries are still a ton better than the commons, just because the attainability is suddenly absolutely ridiculous doesn't change this core principle. Whether you want the murlocs to drop them or not is an entirely different debate.

Yes, it is ridiculous that something that's supposed to be prestigious can just be bought off a vendor. No, an item with 99999 stats should not have the same rarity type as an item with 77777 stats when obtained from the same content level.

• Like 1

It stops legendaries from being legendary. The same way back in WotLK you could just buy epics with tokens. It's epic OR legendary if you can buy it. There's no prestige to it. It's literally just another piece of gear. Calling it legendary now just translates to "has an ability that basic stat items don't". That's it. That's the only difference between a legendary and a white piece of normal gear. Combat effects.

We now have two types of gear:
1: Items - These have stats to make your character better.

2: Combat Items - These have stats AND abilities that can use to change your play style.

No normal, rare, epic, or legendary gear. Just Items and Combat Items. The old 'tier sets' fall into both categories because all they do is give you stats until you get enough of them.  If Blizzard is determined to just jump the shark every expansion with their gear they may as well get rid of the first category in BoA and be done with it.

11 hours ago, Plergoth said:

Honestly by this point in the expansion I was hoping we'd just have BoA tokens that drop for legendaries that let people select which character needs it the most and what item they think they need the most, or maybe being able to vendor or disenchant old or unwanted legendaries somehow for those essences as a compromise. 

This is something they have never done by my knowledge, I think it is highly unlikely to happen that way. Blizzard has always taken the standpoint that legendaries are something unlocked by each individual character. I think it's better that way to be honest.

Also note that I hate the entire legion legendary system I just dont think they should ever do a BoA legendary thing.

it is ridiculous that something that's supposed to be prestigious can just be bought off a vendor

I would also have to add that from a lore perspective it actually makes some sense that we are able to get legendary items from vendors. By now we are all legendary heroes that have defeated so many bosses and looted so much good stuff that some of it is bound to end up in dalaran right.

again, I hate the entire legion legendary system but this was something that caught my eye ^^

Edited by Shine

52 minutes ago, Shine said:

I would also have to add that from a lore perspective it actually makes some sense that we are able to get legendary items from vendors. By now we are all legendary heroes that have defeated so many bosses and looted so much good stuff that some of it is bound to end up in dalaran right.

From a lore perspective, mages are walking nukes and they can detonate more than once at that. That mana bomb that landed on Theramore? That, but much more potent.

But who needs nukes and legendaries dropping from the skies when you can just go back in time and kill whomever you want to before they're born? Who cares about the "true timeline", when you can just visit a different one and stay there.

Or hell, go to another timeline, take the moonwell/sunwell/nightwell's power for yourself and go back to the true timeline with that. Legendaries? who cares when you can cause maelstroms with the snap of your finger, or sneeze a rift into the nether itself?

No, when we start considering things from a lore perspective, I don't think trying to reason logic with it will work when we're talking about Legendaries.

4 hours ago, Yridaa said:

From a lore perspective, mages are walking nukes and they can detonate more than once at that. That mana bomb that landed on Theramore? That, but much more potent.

But who needs nukes and legendaries dropping from the skies when you can just go back in time and kill whomever you want to before they're born? Who cares about the "true timeline", when you can just visit a different one and stay there.

Or hell, go to another timeline, take the moonwell/sunwell/nightwell's power for yourself and go back to the true timeline with that. Legendaries? who cares when you can cause maelstroms with the snap of your finger, or sneeze a rift into the nether itself?

No, when we start considering things from a lore perspective, I don't think trying to reason logic with it will work when we're talking about Legendaries.

You are, 100% misunderstanding lore perspective.

The manabomb in Theramore was using the focusing Iris from the eye of eternity to make it nuke level. Standard mages can't just do that.

Our random champions/characters can't just.. walk into another timeline. It's not just "Here's a door, oh look I'm in the past" At best we have GAMEPLAY mechanics for that, but not the lore. Just as well, going into the past and changes things would still mess up the present in lore. that's why Bronze dragons don't just go fix things before they happen. They, the only reliable source of time travel, work to prevent  meddling in the time lines to keep things as they're meant to be

Same goes for stealing power from the moonwell/sunwell/nightwell. Not to mention trying to steal the powers from them directly in a large enough quantity to "snap your fingers and cause a maelstrom" would more than likely, make you explode because that is SO much of the raw power of a titan.

Don't you understand that I was reasoning that we're all legendary heroes and legendaries dropping from the sky into Dalaran - as Shine mentioned - isn't from a lore perspective at all? I was using his "it happens in-game so it must also be lore" perspective to see how skewed this would actually be if true.

I mean, just go back to the books. The adventurers aren't (or barely?) even mentioned when Onyxia died and her head dragged to Stormwind. Just because you get epic loot in game and it took many of the best adventurers to do it doesn't mean it aligns with lore.