FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Mephisto

New Patch Killer

I've been playing WoW on and off now for 10 years and I've seen some things for the good and bad of the game but the level scaling for every zone now is most probably the worse thing I've ever seen Blizz do.

Most people have played the game for awhile and have several top end toons.

Not many people like the grind of leveling but its something that has to be done so some time ago Blizz decided to make leveling less a chore with increased XP and easier kills to speed the process up to help people get to end game content where the business really starts a lot quicker.

Great move Blizz one of the better things to have happened to the game.

But now you've taken that away from me.

I have the novelty of choosing which expansion I want to level up with to an extent but you also made it like I'm playing that expansion for the first time.

No more speed kills or more XP, you've slowed my game down but given me a choice of where to play.

Give me the choice of whether or not I want to do that.

I'm currently leveling my 3rd Mage up, prior to the patch last week I hit level 63 in 4 days.

Now I'm back to taking forever just to complete one level.

To me this is Blizz's way of making you pay the $66 to boost your toon to level 100 so you dont die of the boredom of having to level again.

Your not helping me out Blizz your trying to make more money out of me.

I've boosted before and to be honest I dont like it, my spell bar goes from 4 or 5 spells to over a dozen that I have no idea how to use or any experience using them in any rotation or situation.

Sure I can come here and read the guides but I'm an older player, I like to actually get new stuff along the way and see how it fits into everything with some hands on experience.

I think that makes you a better player.

So no boost for me, no $66 for Blizz.

If anything I'm now bored to death leveling and am considering closing my account until the new expansion so in turn Blizz are actually losing money.

You may say the new scaling is great for the new player it gives them a great new experience.

Their new, they dont know the sequence of zones anyway and I feel the majority of players are  medium to long term players and we dont really need the level scaling option as a gimmick to encourage us leveling a new toon.

Not happy Blizz, really not happy.

• Sad 1

Uncommon Patron

These are my thoughts exactly. To begin with I thought well it's early days lets see how it goes. I happened to be levelling some old lowbies as the patch hit and while the kills took longer overall the levelling up seemed okay.This was below 40 though. 

What did for me was going to Shadowmoon Valley on a lvl 100 hunter to finish a logging quest (completionist in me!) that had artefact but not much else and finding the mobs were my level and above. One of the usual silver dragon mobs was red to me at level 103. Just no.

I did make a post about my disappointment, on the EU forums but we only have the old PTR feedback ones so it will probably never be seen.

If everywhere I go when not at max level I have to fight my way through, that's not fun. I like to randomly fish/gather etc for relaxation.

I doubt Blizzard will miss the 5 licence subs I currently have active but I was looking forward to this my 10th year. 

Even when I've taken a break through health reasons, I've let my subs stand. As a commitment I suppose. Well I doubt I will play BoA, I may keep one licence going to finish up some stuff but these latest changes, for veterans, are appalling in my view.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow, awesome constructive first post Muze, glad you waited for my post for your first post.

Did you find dad's keyboard?

There are pro's and con's to everything.

I never played Pandaria or Wrath or Cataclysm for example and when I leveled up at the end of Draenor I never really get to know those area's. As I just powerplayed through them. I am therefor actually looking forward to playing those on the new-to-be allied races characters.

I feel like it would be ok if there werent such a difference in each classes ability to handle world content. Playing my monk vs shaman or preist doing quests is really different.

I feel if they gave us the monk 50% xp daily for every class and maybe boosted solo damage a bit it would be ok. But as it is now... ill just play the monk or hunter, really slow otherwise.

3 hours ago, Mephisto said:

You wont be power playing through them though, thats the point.

and he said he will enjoy NOT powerplaying through those levels, thats the point.

i belive this change is great, it'll let new players experience the old expansions like wotlk and pandaria, and finding a challenge in leveling.

for old players it shouldnt really matter, we already have our max level characters.

Uncommon Patron

I understand your comment Francof but you have missed the area in between. Those of us with max level characters who have Alts from over the years at all different levels. 

It isn't a challenge it just is more boring as the mobs just have more health. 

So okay point taken. I stop playing the alts. Except it was having a break and having fun playing them that was a big part of the game for me. End game as such is lost on me. Hence why I've happily played for so long. 

I know it won't be changed back. I suppose I'm just sad that it's an end of an era for me. 

I need a similar ( to previous wow) game, so suggestions welcome. 

My favourite time in wow was bc. Flying at 70. Which I couldn't afford straight away etc etc. 

1 hour ago, francof said:

i belive this change is great, it'll let new players experience the old expansions like wotlk and pandaria, and finding a challenge in leveling.

This does nothing to address the obvious issues with class imbalance though regarding their ability to engage in that content. Bliz just double/tripled the difficulty of things, which really opened the gaps in pre 100 class power. So if someone finds that they like being a healer, or preferred frost mage, they have to suffer through extreme frustration and do more work just to reach new end game content.

I'm mad that the alternative options (dungeons) are nerfed hard in this patch and favor a few specs and playstyles over others. Basically I have to now enjoy dps monk or warlock, because the alternative is slower leveling (low exp) in dungeons where you barely keep players alive, tank and almost die every pull, go through 6 rotations a pull (feels like work).

Do you want to see a bunch of warlocks and monks be all that reach 110? This has to be toned back a bit or at least provide xp incentive for the difficulty.

Edited by Loghery

I've seen a lot of these posts lately, and I understand the sentiment to some degree. Getting alts to 110 may take longer now, (up for debate as I've tried, and didn't really notice a difference), and there are definitely some improvements to be made. Simply scaling health wasnt the right choice.

However, having leveled all the classes to 110 in legion, I can honestly say that it was pretty boring then. It was pretty much spamming dungeons until you make it to 110, and really didnt feel involving at all. At least now, with the changes to Quest scaling, I feel motivated to go into old zones and rediscover what the quest lines mean.

I can understand the grind. I have at least 1 of every class at 110. The grind isn't fun, it never was, even being able to use RaF and full heirlooms and be gifted free levels up to 89 it was never fun having to do the same dungeons on repeat until you maxed out.

However the changes they have made actually allow people to play through the questing zones instead of dungeon hopping with a lesser disparity in xp/hr between the two since you can't outgrow the leveling zone you're in by finishing a couple of quests. The changes they've made are healthier for the game in the long run though, because it does allow new players to actually see what the game has to offer.

Pre 7.3.5 fresh players were able to kill mobs in 1-3 hits. That gave off the vibe that the game is brain dead easy, and looking at the forums where many players complain how everything is given for "free" now that new player instantly decides to not give the game a chance. It isn't fair to assume most of the people leveling up are veteran players just trying to get alts leveled up just as it wouldn't be fair to assume all veteran players should already have their alts maxed.

WoW has a deep and robust addon community if the leveling is getting torturous to you I would suggest an immersion addon to make the game feel more like an action adventure game. This is precisely what I'm doing with my third monk and it's refreshing for the first time in almost a decade to level a character up.

Also, make no mistake Blizzard's boost program was never made with the intention to be the "easy" way to max an alt it was 100% made to stop 3rd party leveling companies and gold farmers. Why pay $100 to level a character that wont have gear or gold vs $60 for full set of gear to start you off and at least enough gold for repairs and essentials?

On 24/1/2018 at 3:41 AM, Shadehallow said:

Pre 7.3.5 fresh players were able to kill mobs in 1-3 hits. That gave off the vibe that the game is brain dead easy, and looking at the forums where many players complain how everything is given for "free" now that new player instantly decides to not give the game a chance. It isn't fair to assume most of the people leveling up are veteran players just trying to get alts leveled up just as it wouldn't be fair to assume all veteran players should already have their alts maxed.

I absolutely agree with you!
I'm not that new in the game, since I played a lot in unofficial servers before starting playing on Nemesis EU this year, and with that I can say that I leveled my main and my all current alts with the old, brain dead, "I-run-to-the-end-and-then-smash-everything" way to play that we had before 7.3.5 and I'm happy with the changes that Blizz did in this patch.
I'm currently leveling up my protection warrior who used to be my favorite alt in private shards and it's quite funny running dungeon and being on the verge of dying at the very high level of 17 (yes, I saw my character almost died in her first run of Ragefire Chasm, which is, in some ways, really fun and entertaining, since the best thing I could do was to click like there is no tomorrow over my VR everytime I could and to trust the healer the rest of the time).
I do believe that not being able anymore to smash things in 1~3 hits will help a lot of average players to improve their style, since their are forced to use a full rotation on a single mob, which means that they need to know which spell does what and when, and this improvement will mean that there will be less brain dead people joining throught random finder tools.