FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nalar

Embarrassed lock here

Hi guys ,

I'm an avid reader of the forums and want to say i appreciate all the info that you share but I'm a bit embarrassed as I'm 2nd to a demo lock under simcraft dps , ( only by 20k but still , I'm embarrassed )

Unfortunately I don't have any logs to see what I'm doing right or wrong.

But I have spec'd according to best stats what AMR says !!

Armoury : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/bloodhoof/Nalar/

What I would like to know is , I'm destro/afflic spec atm but was thinking of trying demo (as I loved it in 5.3) , and what haste cap is possible if I go destro /demo without nerfing myself too much at my ilvl.

Or should I keep trying with afflic spec , but at 9778 haste I do about 30k-40k less dps than destro spec.

I do raid with destro spec but I have used afflic spec on certain bosses but not overly confident in using it!!

This post might be a little confusing but any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Nalar.

Don't be embarrassed!  biggrin.png

E'erbody starts somewhere, and then they make a decision to improve.  So welcome aboard!

That said, I'm running Destro/Demo now as well, but I'm not worrying about haste points due to a few points:

1.  I'm a Troll.  I can modify my haste with a button press and fuck up all the breakpoints.  I use this with Doom, so it's hard to justify holding onto a specific haste breakpoint given the fluctuations throughout a fight.

2.  Legendary meta gem.  For the reasons I've listed above, but on a much more random level.

3.  With Destruction I don't find getting that extra Immolate tick that important, but I could be misinformed.  I know it's powerful, but extra crit also makes it crit more (and generate additional Emberbits) throughout the fight as well.

If you plan on using Affliction at all, haste breakpoints become more relevant due to the frequency in which you update multiple DoT's.  It's much more common that you will recast them with no haste buffs up.  Whereas with Demonology it's more common to be able to refresh Doom with good results because you have more time to line haste procs up with it.

Your post basically tells me you want to know what spec to play, you've clearly done them all.  All I can say is to play what you find more enjoyable because they're all very viable.  Destruction is a favorite right now because you can mold it easily to most fights.

• Like 1

Omaric,

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah when 5.4 dropped I tried every spec , and with everyone else I went destro but couldn't decide on my 2nd spec. Was switching and cost me a lot of gold!!!

I liked old school affliction when you had shadow bolt in your rotation, ahh the good old days!!!.

Do you raid demo?

Regards

NALAR

On occasion.  I'm still adjusting with new gear.  I've tried it on Dark Shaman with good results.  My Protectors execution with Demo could use work.  Klaxxi could also have good results, but I need to try it on more fights in general to see its potential.  Maybe I'll just make that my focus this week, but having the T16 4-piece would *really* help to supplement the AoE I'm losing when I switch from Destruction.  Destruction is just so easy to turn and burn with massive AoE on a dime.

I do prefer demo over afflic so will 2nd respec to that instead if keeping afflic,

If it doesn't work out the I can always go back lol.

But seriously thankyou again , I like to defy convention .

And 1 more thing

for a afflic question, I'm confused on the use of 'haunt',

I know the opening rotation but when you need to refresh haunt ,

Do you do it when

A) when haunt is about to expire you cast another one? ( so you continually have haunt on your target

As much as possible with the initial 4 you have and procs of 'nightfall'.

Or

B) when you just about to refresh dots and buffs proc?.

Nalar

Haunt is pretty simple now.  Don't clip it and only use it when you're about to cap out on Soul Shards or if you have really strong DoT's up.

Edit:  Or feel free to machine gun a few if you have a target that you can Drain Soul for a Shard recharge shortly.

Except on short fights and multitargetfight, affli and demo can't catch up  with destruction untl a certain point. Just after you reach ~550-560ish gearlevel and have t16 2p  it should really pick up and after that point it's a pure matter of preference on almost all fights(~2-3% difference in simcraft are neglectable, since if you have more fun witth a certain spec more than with other speccs, then you play this specc better and that makes a bigger difference, than the 3% "max possible dps" ).  So if you have more fun with demo, than affli, then play demo, because you will make more dmg with it, because you like this specc more.

I would argue the short fights and multi-target fights.  Have you seen the stupid burst potential of Affliction in P1 Garrosh, Klaxxi, Protectors and Dark Shaman?  It's pretty messed up, *especially* if you're still rolling with a UVLS.  Even Demonology can shred multi-target fights at the start with super buffed Hands of Gul'dan in a clumped-up-mob situation.  Dark Shaman is an example of this and I would assume the first time you pull General Nazgrim each lockout you could see Demonology skyrocket.

+Manno's Fury Immo Aura.  The # of targets you'd hit would fuel your DF.  BUT YOU ONLY GET ONE TRY PER WEEK!

+Manno's Fury Immo Aura.  The # of targets you'd hit would fuel your DF.  BUT YOU ONLY GET ONE TRY PER WEEK!

Hellfire you mean?  Unless you think that you're going to get the killing blow on a lot of them.

If you open with 2x Hand of Gul'dan, you should be receiving enough DF to use Immo in that opener because you're hitting 20+ targets generating over 40 DF/second which covers Immo Aura.  They die fast enough that you have the best chance of picking up KBs on them refilling your DF and opening on Nazgrim with 1000.

As stated, Affliction with the recent nerfs will only start to shine on higher ilvls, I've only just started using it more now that I have 2 piece and 560 ilvl.

I would argue the short fights and multi-target fights.  Have you seen the stupid burst potential of Affliction in P1 Garrosh, Klaxxi, Protectors and Dark Shaman?  It's pretty messed up, *especially* if you're still rolling with a UVLS.  Even Demonology can shred multi-target fights at the start with super buffed Hands of Gul'dan in a clumped-up-mob situation.  Dark Shaman is an example of this and I would assume the first time you pull General Nazgrim each lockout you could see Demonology skyrocket.

These fights are the exceptions i had in mind. But I don't know about Garrosh, since i haven't tried out affliction in this fight. I stick with destruction on this one. But then again i will try it it out this week.

As stated, Affliction with the recent nerfs will only start to shine on higher ilvls, I've only just started using it more now that I have 2 piece and 560 ilvl.

Affliction is fine around 540.  Destruction just shines in all around scenarios.   I can tell you at 570 all three specs are very easy to open around 800k-1M and sustain over 300k.

These fights are the exceptions i had in mind. But I don't know about Garrosh, since i haven't tried out affliction in this fight. I stick with destruction on this one. But then again i will try it it out this week.

Destruction will almost always win out on Garrosh from a practicality point.  Destro is VERY solid on AoE in Phase 1.  Destro can easily take out the Engineers.  Destro can provide awesome two target cleave onto Desecrated Weapons.  Destruction can Shadowburn like mad on just about everything. 

With Affliction, you get the two target cleave, AoE isn't as strong, and you really can't DPS your teammates out of mind-control.  Haunt would be your best option, but man to blow a Shard on that would just be lame. 

Demo is similar to Destruction.  You can't be careless about (Chaos Bolt/Metamorphosis).  The goal is to maximize your best damage source, so you always use (Chaos Bolt/Metamorphosis) during trinket procs and Bloodlust.  Otherwise, you should be using fillers to generate resources.