FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
MickeyCee

5.4 destruction.. what's the actual haste SPEP?

I have been trying some different builds with Mr. Robot for a destruction lock, and I don't like how much haste it keeps giving me - times when I don't think I should be reforging crit to mastery, for example, instead of reforging haste. 

Character is US Lightbringer Nitromethane

So I started playing with the weights, and I imagine there's some Spellpower Equivalency Points (SPEP) or something like that right? (NOTE: I come from the world of warriors, where all values are rated against strength, the primary stat - again point me in the correct direction please).

I took the AMR values of:

Mastery 4.6

Crit        4.5

Haste    4.2

And changed them to:

Mastery 4.6

Crit        4

Haste    2

Am I gimping myself by doing this?

When it's all said and done, I increased my mastery by 3.2%, decreased my haste by 3%, increased my crit by 1%. My unbuffed haste is now 4093, so in a raid, I know it will be over 4192, and I am using the legendary meta.

If there's a better way to do this, please let me know!

---- This all started because last night I got the i553 juggernaut power core, have had the flex version spellsword in bag, and have been using the flex gaze of arrogance starff (upgraded to 548) until I got the drop. When I equipped and reforged I noticed I was really heavy on haste, and was scared of losing all that mastery. FWIW - even after mucking with the stats, while I am 1K of intellect ahead, I am still 3% under where I was mastery-wise.

A little further info:

With the original equipment (staff of arrogance, and AMR normal 5.4 PVE weights):

Stock AMR Staff

-----------------------------

Mastery        110.22%

Spell Power  39,547

Spell Hit        15.12%

Crit                28.11%

Haste            16.11%

Stock AMR Spellsword

-----------------------------

Mastery:       107.60%

Spell Power  40,011

Spell Hit        15.12%

Crit                26.98%

Haste            19.02%

Custom AMR Spellsword:

--------------------------------

Mastery:       108.14%

Spell Power  40,768

Spell Hit        15.01%

Crit                28.59%

Haste            15.11%

Cu1

You're trying really hard to find a specific, meaningful value, and unfortunately, there is not.  Warriors don't tend to deal with breakpoints for Haste, so thankfully, neither does Destruction.  Destruction tends to devalue Haste to a point, but really, all the stats are moderately close.  People read Mastery > Crit > Haste and think the values are absolute when they're all relatively close.

If you play ONLY Destruction, then it doesn't matter what value you put for Haste in AMR for Haste.  If you put Mastery = 4.6 and Crit = 4.4 and Haste = 4.2, it won't be any different if you put 0.5 for Haste because all it's going to do is priorize reforging out of Haste into something more valuable.  This would be different if reforging was variable, but it's not.  You get 40% of your stat moved elsewhere and that's it. 

TL;DR: Your Haste value doesn't matter so long as it's below the other two.  The formula will come out the same.

If you play ONLY Destruction, then it doesn't matter what value you put for Haste in AMR for Haste.  If you put Mastery = 4.6 and Crit = 4.4 and Haste = 4.2, it won't be any different if you put 0.5 for Haste because all it's going to do is priorize reforging out of Haste into something more valuable.  This would be different if reforging was variable, but it's not.  You get 40% of your stat moved elsewhere and that's it. 

But there's the rub; it actually changed substantially how it gemmed/reforged my character. For example, before doing that it was putting in expertise+mastery gems instead of intellect+mastery and my values were different as shown above.

Maybe there's a min max thing where I lost an amount of haste that was more valuable than a lower amount of mastery gained. I am not sure.

The point is the stats don't mean as much as proper play.  Warlocks are a class that is highly dependent on proper play and that accounts for 90-95% of your DPS.  The secondary stats play such a small value when it comes to min/maxing.  Your focus right now is 90/10 when it should be 10/90.