FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
whodatchib

BrM Help - Confused about the brews

I recently decided to switch from WW to BrM because I've always wanted to try to tank and figured why not with the Monk? It definitely stands out as to compared with a Prot Pally or Warrior. I've watched videos on the abilities and even came here to see what the build recommendation is. I ran my first dungeon last night (lvl 60 Troll BrM) and it went good for the most part, except I feel like I was randomly using my brews and wasting them rather than actually using them the correct way to Stagger the dmg.

So on to my question: When do I use my brews and how often should I be using them? Do I need to be popping them at certain times, like before an encounter?  Like I said, I feel like last night I burning through them too quickly and was just wasting them. I will say, I only died once and managed to finish the dungeon. I understand being at a lower lvl gives me time to learn the class and experiment, but I want to know from a more experienced players POV as to what to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading and hope you all have a good day!

Cheers!

I'm going to start off and say I am by no means an expert at BrM but, I tanked through TOS with one. You should try to keep as close to 100% uptime on your Ironskin brew as you can. You should really get a WA to track your stagger percentage to know when you should use your Purify brew. I usually waited for about 75% stagger before I would use it. But it really depends on what's going on in the fight. If you are about to take a big hit and your stagger is too high too much damage wont be mitigated so you need to purify before hand and just be ready. At any level below end game you really shouldn't have to worry about Purifying anything unless your healer isn't doing their job. Just keep up Ironskin as much as possible while leveling through dungeons and you should be fine.

13 hours ago, whodatchib said:

I recently decided to switch from WW to BrM because I've always wanted to try to tank and figured why not with the Monk? It definitely stands out as to compared with a Prot Pally or Warrior. I've watched videos on the abilities and even came here to see what the build recommendation is. I ran my first dungeon last night (lvl 60 Troll BrM) and it went good for the most part, except I feel like I was randomly using my brews and wasting them rather than actually using them the correct way to Stagger the dmg.

So on to my question: When do I use my brews and how often should I be using them? Do I need to be popping them at certain times, like before an encounter?  Like I said, I feel like last night I burning through them too quickly and was just wasting them. I will say, I only died once and managed to finish the dungeon. I understand being at a lower lvl gives me time to learn the class and experiment, but I want to know from a more experienced players POV as to what to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading and hope you all have a good day!

Cheers!

Before starting I just want to say that I don't know what the incoming damage looks like at low levels, but I'd be surprised if it really mattered all that much

To train yourself, I would watch for a couple things:

1. Try not to overlap Ironskin Brew (ISB) with any CC. For example if you have Leg Sweep available, you can forgo using ISB and just stun them instead. Similarly, when you get your artifact ability, you do avoid overlapping ISB with it as well
  2. Don't Purify your Stagger damage unless it becomes too high. I highly recommend getting a Weakaura or other addon which will track the Stagger as a % of your hp, so you have an idea. I usually don't touch it unless my Stagger is red or if I have full stacks 
  3. ISB lasts way longer than you think it does, so watch the duration on that buff

Most importantly though, is that it gets better once you hit end game. Managing stacks becomes MUCH easier once you have your Artifact. You have traits that reduce the cooldown when you use KS and also sometimes TP, and you can also eventually run Blackout Combo to make managing stacks even easier