FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Jimlock11

help on single target dps

im no super lock, but if you run the sacraloash ring, then run corruption/unstable aff build. agony is rather weak imo.

Malefic grasp, and soul conduit are awsome, i personaly run with phantom singularity, but you can run the 2 min CD one if you prefer.

replace the helmet with Tier, and use either the other class ring, cloak or prydaz.  syphon life is a waste of time. Sephuz's Secret unsure if can proc on a boss, but if so, 25% haste is alot of dps too. just keep that corruption ring :)

ps: i know alot of other locks wont like what i said, but this works well for me. its a more multi target spec, but it still rocks at single target

Edited by Rampage747

11 hours ago, Jimlock11 said:

Have to say I disagree with most of the advice given above for ST and can post lost stats to back most of that up if really needed. There is a reason that the majority of locks use SL, SH, helm and not cloak on a more ST focused boss.

Ultimately, many Affy leggos are pretty close together and the best ones actually usually depend on your gear. Have you top gear simmed? You are very crit light, especially with all the crit relic traits you have. 

On Argus yes AC can work (and better) if the adds live a long time however, personally I have still got better results with Contagion and if you do not take it you sacrifice boss damage. On Youtube search for an Argus Affliction guide video by Yipzarena.

Use WoWAnalyzer.com for the Garothi fight. Click on Suggestions and then on the button next door to minor importance.

Biggest factors to improve are lack of clear drain cycles and therefore lack of UAs in reap and low amount of UA ticks drained, reap use, making most of SH use and especially when you use Netherlord/DE, drain uptime/decreasing movement, use a second pot (super important as you use Netherlord) and drain snipe when you can (the 2 cannons give you shards on norm/hc).

Good luck. 

3 hours ago, Jimlock11 said:

@spikeysquad so i should cast more drain soul and ua? Also is legendary belt better than ring in st fights?

Well you can only cast as many UAs as you have shards however, a drain cycle usually consists of refresh dots, UA, UA, reap, drain drain drain, drain etc until you refresh dots again.

You may have to sometimes do less or more UAs but 2 is ideal as you can drain all ticks. If you keep doing these 1 UA dumps then you're only getting say 1/2 in Reap which is your biggest buff and you're so frequently missing draining all ticks.

In general the legendary belt tends to sim slightly higher on ST but it wouldn't work with how you are currently playing as you often recast UAs when they are still on the target. Like I said before though so many Affy leggos are really close so if you have a nice belt and a weak ring then it's more likely you will favour the ring. Netherlord takes some planning though to maximise use. Do you have Sephuz? That's a really strong leggo as well even when you cannot proc it. Neck can also be awesome.

If you are interested in simming then https://medium.com/raidbots/armory-crucible-workaround-dbe280fe1dac follow the steps at the bottom though on the Raidbots website instead put it in the top gear section. Choose some different gear combos and let it do its thing. Be aware though, unless you change the settings, that the result only applies to a single target fight. Coven/Dogs/AHC etc favour quite different set ups.

12 hours ago, Jimlock11 said:

But with contagion i shall always keep my UA up right? yeah i got neck i dont have sephuz and u also said i am low on crit so i shall transfer some mastery to crit @spikeysquad

Ah have just read Icy back; so that is why you play the way you do.

So to be honest, at least in the lock communities I participate in, the Icy guides for our class are generally not a seen as an accurate or trustworthy resource anymore.  

I am not a theorycrafter personally so I couldn't actually tell you what school of thought is correct for MG but a high majority of people I communicate with never concern themselves with Contagion uptime.

Have you joined the Warlock Discord? There you could get a lot more feedback and information. 

On 2/16/2018 at 12:43 PM, spikeysquad said:

So to be honest, at least in the lock communities I participate in, the Icy guides for our class are generally not a seen as an accurate or trustworthy resource anymore.  

Just wanted to say on this - we're currently recruiting writers and reviewers to join our team for late-Legion + Battle for Azeroth and this should bring any updates that are necessary to the guide. If you have anything in mind that is particularly wrong, I can always pass it on and ask for a correction to be made.

For OP: as spikey said, WA is a great tool, definitely use it. This is a link to an analysis of your Garothi kill:

https://wowanalyzer.com/report/awFpnRyPd7KmQ8vM/1/4

11 hours ago, Jimlock11 said:

Thanks a lot! i would like also to ask if that i am light on crit is that big of a deal and i shall have more crit?

Raidbots is going to be your best for an answer with that - here's a link to it:

https://www.raidbots.com/simbot

On 2/25/2018 at 8:35 PM, Jimlock11 said:

@Blainie i got this from raidbots https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/wYXf88pjgLcUD2WN4fRUQ if i understand correctly i shall put more crit into it!?

For now, yeah! If you put the new item on and sim again and Crit has suddenly fallen below Haste, then go for Haste on your next piece. This isn't "perfectly" accurate, but it's a good indication of it. If you want precise sims, try the gear comparison ones too, but it can get a bit more complicated there.

Would be awesome to see refreshed guides Blainie.

Sorry for the late reply Jimlock. Not as low value for crit as I expected however you don't have Acrid and your crucible data is missing which will probably change it up somewhat (or maybe not, time will tell). Stats, while nice to have a balance, will make very little difference compared to playing better so don't get too hung up over them and remember they also change from a ST to a MT fight.  

Go to https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/simulationcraft download the addon and in game type /simc in chat. Then paste that into the box at Raidbots. It will also be much easier to do topgear sims and the like which tend to be much more useful anyhow than pure stat weights.

Do you prefer WiA for ST? That is a fine choice either way but most people do go MG. WiA has little lower top end but many people say it's easier to play and you don't have to worry about moving as much so see what suits you better.

4 hours ago, spikeysquad said:

Would be awesome to see refreshed guides Blainie.

We'll do our best and try to ensure they're as high of a quality as possible - is it specifically Affliction you felt needed attention or all Warlock guides?

22 hours ago, Jimlock11 said:

I just did some tries and i saw that is more important to keep agony and drain cycles rather than everything else!am i right?with MIG

With MG, you want as close as possible to 100% uptime on Agony, you'll look for about 40-50% uptime on Drain Soul depending on the fight.

11 minutes ago, spikeysquad said:

Depends on who you ask. I am in the don't let any dots drop camp.

I'm the same - I don't see any reason to have low uptime on your DoTs. Takes 1 GCD to refresh Agony, for example. I'll never understand the argument of "I didn't have room in my rotation" that some people give.

On 01/03/2018 at 6:11 PM, Blainie said:

We'll do our best and try to ensure they're as high of a quality as possible - is it specifically Affliction you felt needed attention or all Warlock guides?

Sorry for the late reply, I have been staying with family. Nice to see some updates though!

From a very brief look Affy needs the most work as it has probably had the most changes over the expac.

Quote from the guide: "No matter what talents you choose, it is best to focus all your Unstable Affliction Icon Unstable Affliction casts into a single target rather than trying to multi dot using this spell."  ...

Demo needs a little update on TKA (the latest golden) and how it changes stats. How to play with PT and the difference in rotation if you choose SI or DC to go with it.

Destro looks ok on the whole though a few pages still talk about NH, ToS and tier 20 etc. Perhaps needs a little extra info on stats as I still see quite a few people say "Icy told me to stack haste and crit" which is not the case at all for Destro (it doesn't say that either but it is what people seem to take away rather than going item level>stats). Oh and I've never ever seen any secondaries for someone have less value than intellect.

Is nice to see an updated legendary section though Sephuz needs a lot more love (in my opinion)! Perhaps it is beyond the scope of your guides but legendaries for Warlocks depend a lot more on the peoples' own gear than saying Lessons and Spite will always be best (it was perhaps hinted at but not fully explained). Though sure the results displayed there are from sims. I see far too much logs as well from people who use the shoulders and the class ring poorly and would be far better off with "easier" legendaries but of course there is only so much information you can actually put in. 

Edited by spikeysquad

36 minutes ago, spikeysquad said:

Sorry for the late reply, I have been staying with family. Nice to see some updates though!

No problem at all, thanks for all the info you've given! I'll pass it all on and we can try to get some updates out onto the guides :)